Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early can you drop bags for a domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Does anyone know how much before a domestic flight one can drop bags with Delta's skycaps?

We're flying Wednesday and my toddler son is a giant transportation nerd, so I thought we'd take the train to MSP. But, I can't take his bag, my bag and a giant bag of Christmas presents, plus him and a car seat, on the train. So I was thinking I'd drive down early and skycap the bags. My wife will be with us with a car on the way home, so the return is easy.

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Does anyone know how much before a domestic flight one can drop bags with Delta's skycaps?

We're flying Wednesday and my toddler son is a giant transportation nerd, so I thought we'd take the train to MSP. But, I can't take his bag, my bag and a giant bag of Christmas presents, plus him and a car seat, on the train. So I was thinking I'd drive down early and skycap the bags. My wife will be with us with a car on the way home, so the return is easy.

Thanks for any help.
At a hub ive never had issues checking bags on same day if within 12hrs of flight. Non hubs can vary. Also dont tell them youre planning on leaving. Some agents have said theres a rule not to check if they know you're leaving.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
At a hub ive never had issues checking bags on same day if within 12hrs of flight. Non hubs can vary. Also dont tell them youre planning on leaving. Some agents have said theres a rule not to check if they know you're leaving.
Definitely not. Just a long trip to find parking. 😎
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
The official rule is no earlier than 4 hours prior to departure AFAIK.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHXflier
At non-hubs yes. This has more to do with storage/handling and personal being present, which isn't an issue at a hub. In fact it's likely to fly early before you, if you get it there early.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by PHXflier
I have been told 6 hours...

A call to DL would be a more reliable source of information that a FT thread.

Old Nov 20, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

A call will do nothing. If there's one thing with DL that's consistent, it's inconsistencies in answers. Also it does nothing if checkin agent refuses.

Six hours is when the system allows you to short check a bag. 12 is when you must short check. 4 hours is when the checking desk opens for a flight(DL agent, not contract). Hubs though are open and staffed by DL checkin agents all day. Thus why you can get away with it at hubs, but varies elsewhere.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Was able to checkin today 6 hrs before flt without questions

I guess if 4 HR rule exists, it's not consistently applied.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I've always heard 6 hours at MSP.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:04 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Delta's "Checked Baggage" page:
When you arrive at the airport, you can drop off your checked baggage at the nearest baggage drop, marked with red "Baggage Drop" signage, or curbside check-in station (available within 6 hours of departure time). You may also check your bags at the airport kiosk, ticket counter, or curbside.
It's not 100% clear language (*sigh*), but I think that if they'll allow curbside at T-6h they should also be willing to allow it at the ticket/bag drop counter.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:40 pm

In Tampa a month ago, I attempted to check in and check my bag with a Sky Cap 6 hours before my scheduled departure. The Sky Cap was not able to process the transaction. I had to check in and check my bag inside using the regular check in line. The transaction completed inside without a problem.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
With the introduction of the radio chip bag tag this may also present an
early check-in problem of an undetermined nature i.e. where to store all
dem chipping bags to be boarded on the flights with the customers.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I second the comment on the ... what's the respectful way to put this?

The most respectful way to put it, is that FT is quite often a faster and more accurate source of information, on a wide variety of topics, than any "call to Delta."

You can generally check-in and drop luggage same-day for any flight. This may be an issue at some non-hubs. YMM and will vary; there is no consistency in on-the-ground operational practices of this nature. But at MSP you should be fine.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent. They probably won't check bags if there are any gaps in staffing at non-hubs.

Personally I think it is a higher risk of lost or delayed baggage to early check, but can't provide hard evidence as such.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Given that connections can be up to <24 hours, seems as if it is possible to check a bag that far in advance. So it is likely to be station dependent.
The 24-hour suggestion gets trashed in the international c of c. See a reference to short checking at >12 hours above.

Delta agents will cite published rules accurately at least as reliably as FlyerTalkers will attempt to find and read them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.