Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Currently sitting on a 26 year old A320

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currently sitting on a 26 year old A320

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
We need some regulation forcing airlines to scrap planes after four years, after all, I get a new car every four years. Plus, the resulting spike in airfares will result in less crowded flights and less crowded lounges, everyone wins.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Every time I see the title of this thread I get a mental picture of someone dealing drastically with a seat poacher by sitting on him.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by pvn
We need some regulation forcing airlines to scrap planes after four years, after all, I get a new car every four years. Plus, the resulting spike in airfares will result in less crowded flights and less crowded lounges, everyone wins.
That's sarcasm right? With Delta's large fleet, it'd take three of those years to redo each subfleet, giving the planes a year of flying time.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I wasn't disputing anything you said but I see no reason why the 737-NG/Max couldn't make it just as high.
Other than that isn't how science works....yeah I guess so.

The 737NG shares very very little with the -100/200. (hell even the 300/400/500)
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
Okay, since the "/" didn't differentiate enough for you add an "or" there to make the comprehension easier for you... Do you write I flew a CRJ2 or a CRJ7 or a CRJ9? Seems the exact same thing and quicker to type "CRJ2/7/9."

The PDB was in regards to the service dropping significantly, on US airlines, who care more about selling stocks than their paying customers on flights. Getting a PDB in FC is becoming more of a granted privilege pending the flight crew wanting to provide that service.

By the way, the A320 is around 23% more fuel efficient than the MD90 and also has a much larger range, but let's not let that get in the way of stating that the engines are the exact same and assuming they're basically the same aircraft...
the bolded. Who ever told you that told you a lie, badly, so please back that up with data..... (and again we are talking MD90, not MD88)
(hint, the MD88 vs 320 is ~20%-25% depending on A320 engines (i.e. CFM56-5A or 5B) and age. I know the MD90 is not worse than a MD88 when it comes to performance.)
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
That's sarcasm right?
Have you read any of pvn's other posts?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Other than that isn't how science works....yeah I guess so.

The 737NG shares very very little with the -100/200. (hell even the 300/400/500)

the bolded. Who ever told you that told you a lie, badly, so please back that up with data..... (and again we are talking MD90, not MD88)
(hint, the MD88 vs 320 is ~20%-25% depending on A320 engines (i.e. CFM56-5A or 5B) and age. I know the MD90 is not worse than a MD88 when it comes to performance.)
So you're telling me that the A320s built today aren't more fuel efficient than MD90s?!? Get out of here with that! Delta loves buying/leasing older aircraft (example: B717) because they are cheap now without a large startup cost. It isn't because they are more fuel efficient. Delta and Southwest will be visiting on the 15th to observe new procedures (Optimized Profile Descents, should you care) and I'll ask them to provide one of their fuel burn sheets that they showed us earlier this year.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Didn't DL have the 757 with TV screens back in 1990? Those were domestic birds. UA had their 320s with audio entertainment back then as well.
Yes, United did outfit their A320s with both audio entertainment, Ch. 9, as well as drop down LCD monitors. The great leader Smisek ripped those out and replaced the seats with cheap no AVOD slimline. He also hated CO's Live TV, but the contract in place meant he couldn't rip it out.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Robbyb03
Okay, since the "/" didn't differentiate enough for you add an "or" there to make the comprehension easier for you... Do you write I flew a CRJ2 or a CRJ7 or a CRJ9? Seems the exact same thing and quicker to type "CRJ2/7/9."

The PDB was in regards to the service dropping significantly, on US airlines, who care more about selling stocks than their paying customers on flights. Getting a PDB in FC is becoming more of a granted privilege pending the flight crew wanting to provide that service.

By the way, the A320 is around 23% more fuel efficient than the MD90 and also has a much larger range, but let's not let that get in the way of stating that the engines are the exact same and assuming they're basically the same aircraft...
I am not sure where you got your MD90 information however it is incorrect. The MD90 is actually slightly more fuel efficient then the A320. It also seats more. It uses the same engine that is a option on the A320 with a narrower lower drag tube.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Jeff767
I am not sure where you got your MD90 information however it is incorrect. The MD90 is actually slightly more fuel efficient then the A320. It also seats more. It uses the same engine that is a option on the A320 with a narrower lower drag tube.
Along with significantly cheaper acquisition costs and far shorter time to service. I love the arm chair fleet management experts that we have on this board, who think they know better than a multi-billion dollar airline at balancing their fleet.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Yes, United did outfit their A320s with both audio entertainment, Ch. 9, as well as drop down LCD monitors. The great leader Smisek ripped those out and replaced the seats with cheap no AVOD slimline. He also hated CO's Live TV, but the contract in place meant he couldn't rip it out.
You have to remember this is the former NWA we are talking about. The dumpiest, scrappiest and worst airline of them all. NW was never a major player nor did it have a global recognition like AA, PA, or TW.

NW had an awful "product" served up by surly disgruntled, old and grouchy personnel who should have left the company and industry ages ago. At least USAIR was once a classy airline serving key markets alone the east coast with polished service before HP tookover.

DL should have passed on NW or at very least waited until they got more desperate. Going into the fuel run up and subsequent downturn they were in terrible shape with an old, gas guzzling fleet, revenue challenges and other stargetic limitations. DL employees have had their occupational seniority cheapened and QOL deteriorated as the senior PMNW Mamas have transfered bases and taken their lines. NW owes a huge debt of gratitude to both DL and the former TW F/As for getting McKaskill Bond legislation passed as I have no doubt DL would have liked to pursue a staple job.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
What's the lifespan of those early A320 birds. Will they go a la the DC-9's and make it into their 40's?

EDIT: Longboater beat me to it. Posted the answer 1 min before this.
I had a friend who flew DC-9s for NWA. He said the reason they last forever is they were "built like a tank", and they had no cycle limit (takeoffs and landings). Apparently, back in the 1960s, when designing a short-haul jet designed , the engineers's solution was to over-engineer the aircraft.

Since then, engineers design assuming a fixed lifetime, and seek to save weight where ever possible.

Today, officially according to Boeing, a DC-9 is rated a 110,000 cycles.

An A320 is rated between 50,000 and 60,000 cycles, depending on manufacture date.

I found more on this. From 2008, an article on Airbus stating the original A320 limit was 48,000 cycles and 60,000 hours, and Airbus was working to extend the limits to 60,000 cycles and 120,000 hours, with a goal of 90,000 cycles and 180,000 hours by 2012:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...family-220962/

Last edited by meh130; Nov 10, 2016 at 12:07 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
You have to remember this is the former NWA we are talking about. The dumpiest, scrappiest and worst airline of them all. NW was never a major player nor did it have a global recognition like AA, PA, or TW.

NW had an awful "product" served up by surly disgruntled, old and grouchy personnel who should have left the company and industry ages ago. At least USAIR was once a classy airline serving key markets alone the east coast with polished service before HP tookover.
I beg to differ somewhat. While NW did run a spartan organization, there were many good people who worked for NW and service was often good as well. Also, NW did have a decent reputation in Asia where it dominated.

Nobody told DL to keep NW's older planes. And NW did refurbish the fleet interiors...
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by meh130
... back in the 1960s, when designing pretty much any airliner, the engineers' solution was to over-engineer the aircraft. ... Since then, engineers design assuming a fixed lifetime, and seek to save weight where ever possible.
cheap gas, and the absence of really detailed life-cycle-cost analyses, drove a lot of design philosophies and associated decisions ... the "energy crisis" (~1973-74) spurred the retirement of most first-generation jets and the development of more efficient high-bypass engines, and both operators and manufacturers started to pay more attention to the marginal costs of carrying around a few (or a few hundred) extra pounds of structural or systems weight over tens of thousands of flight hours

Originally Posted by formeraa
... Nobody told DL to keep NW's older planes. And NW did refurbish the fleet interiors...
DL's business/cost/revenue/economics analysts made a compelling enough case to DL's senior management that the bottom line would benefit more from keeping the ex-NW jets than from a rapid fleet renewal
Old Nov 10, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
never mind; appended to previous post
Old Nov 10, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by formeraa
I beg to differ somewhat. While NW did run a spartan organization, there were many good people who worked for NW and service was often good as well. Also, NW did have a decent reputation in Asia where it dominated.

Nobody told DL to keep NW's older planes. And NW did refurbish the fleet interiors...
Well the 320 OP mentioned had new carpet, blue leather seat covering and other minor cosmetic improvements in the 2010-2011 timeframe. DL is just now refurbishing the Airbus 319/320 fleet. Point is this was NWs Flagship, and by their own words "modern" narrowbody.

Recall in March 2009 when initial cross fleeting LGA-Florida took place the complaining was pretty vocal and widespread.

NW didn't anywhere near "dominate" Asia. They were the cheap and inferior option for Japan, that's it. They flew their large 747s and DC-10s with low yield trash over DTW/MSP and NRT. UA looked like polished and luxurious up against NW...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.