Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium to debut in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I'm surprised with the high seat count of 48 in a A359 (I guess trying to offset the very low 32 J seats), but this isn't "bringing the 'premium' back to the premium economy experience". The specs appear mediocre at best.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, 3.3 MM Miler, Lifetime Hilton Diamond VIP, United, American, National ExecElite
Originally Posted by realjd
It doesn't say no more Y to J upgrades. Based on what you quoted, my take is that they'll allow you to use a global upgrade to W if J doesn't have any more upgrade inventory.
Called the DM line and was told you can choose whether to limit your GUC to only a D1 upgrade. Better than nothing.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lolstebbo
It's not that much wider; I believe everyone else using 2-4-2 in W on a 777 has it at 19" wide as well.
Point is they could pull a legendary/classic/ingenious NW move.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The press release commits to Delta Premium only on A350s and 777s; additional fleets may be added. That leaves a whole lot of widebodies not seeing Delta Premium, including 40 in-service A330s and ~79 767s and 764s.
Well the cross-section of the 330 or 767 would probably be part of the reason they wouldn't get DL Premium as I wouldn't expect DL to install 2x3x2 on the 330 or 2x2x2 on the 767 and try and do a tradeoff by increasing the density of seats on the 330 or 767. I know 2x4x2 has been done on the 767 but its very uncommon if only ever done by charter carriers. With the 350 or 777, there seems to be a trend of going 3x4x3 to offset the loss of seats with a Y+ config of 2x4x2.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:03 am

I wouldn't count out introducing actual PE is just one more cost step between Y and J.

What I mean is that it may be easier to entice people to buy J if the pricing goes as such.

Y = $1,200 W = $2,500 J= $4,500 It's two smaller steps to get a $3k+ price difference. Instead of just one big jump.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I hope DL looks into following JL/NH's lead in offering them to top-level elites (DM?) only if they are empty upon check-in or some other close-in time.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by kop84
I wouldn't count out introducing actual PE is just one more cost step between Y and J.

What I mean is that it may be easier to entice people to buy J if the pricing goes as such.

Y = $1,200 W = $2,500 J= $4,500 It's two smaller steps to get a $3k+ price difference. Instead of just one big jump.
I think the same. Much of pricing is a mind game. Having smaller steps incites up-sells. I sometimes fall into that trap. Instead of focusing on the total cost/product equation, I focus on the difference between classes. If it seems reasonable, I'm tempted to pay more.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Tumi and Alessi can now be found at your neighborhood Marshalls/HomeGoods or TJX yet DL passes them off as premium brands. Can't make this stuff up.
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
DLs cockiness and zealousness never ceases to amaze. Westin is a luxury hotel...
All are, without question, upscale brands. If you believe that the average American stays at Westin hotels, packs in a Tumi suitcase, and dines with Alessi tableware, you're incredibly out of touch.

Sure, they're not ultra-luxury brands, but then neither is Delta One.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MS02113
All are, without question, upscale brands. If you believe that the average American stays at Westin hotels, packs in a Tumi suitcase, and dines with Alessi tableware, you're incredibly out of touch.

Sure, they're not ultra-luxury brands, but then neither is Delta One.
it's worth remembering that most of us here on FT probably have a rather different (read "far more cynical") view of branding than most of the rest of the population ...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by DL Platinum
A nice investment in their hard product, but it most likely won't sway me to fly in them. Why? 19 inches of seat width, really?!

Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy: 38 inches of Pitch 21 inches of width.
And I have to say that the VS PE cabin is just enough room to not be uncomfortable, though it's still anything but roomy.

Anyone who wants to argue- do any of us not intentionally book away from domestic 763's for redeyes?

I SUPREMELY hope that Delta rethinks this and instead uses a 21" seat width.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Suites?

When did a business class seat (Delta One) suddenly become a suite??

Are those stupid seats where two people traveling together can't even have a conversation now suites? Marketing hyperbole at work!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I hope DL looks into following JL/NH's lead in offering them to top-level elites (DM?) only if they are empty upon check-in or some other close-in time.
If DL are smart they will offer Premium to top elites at a discount. Especially with 48 seats to fill, I'd hope Diamonds get a discount in order to incentivize buying up to Premium. It would be a decent trade-off for having lost free Comfort+. Otherwise as a DM myself I would be pissed to have lost free Comfort+ seats and get nothing else in return compared to a kettle sitting next to me in the Main Cabin, and so I would either try to choose flights that avoid this fleet or just book whichever airline offers the best timing/route/price if there is no real benefit to being DM with Delta on an A350 (and later 777). That said, I would pay up to Premium if it was offered at a 50% discount.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
D1=D1S

Originally Posted by Renes Points
I think you are reading WAY to much into this one.

However, I have reached out to Delta PR to see if this was omitted for a reason or if D1=D1S
CONFIRMED from Delta spokesman Anthony Black: "Certs are good for Delta One Suites and Seats."

So we can calm down on this one
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Renes Points
CONFIRMED from Delta spokesman Anthony Black: "Certs are good for Delta One Suites and Seats."

So we can calm down on this one
Heh - all that means is that they haven't decided to completely screw us over YET
Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
If anyone is curious, here are some "real life" examples of this seat, which other airlines are using. Obviously not in the Delta colors, but good example of what it looks like not as a rendering:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SeamusAPE...76094775484417

http://viewfromthewing.img.boardinga...006_064019.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.