Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium to debut in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Delta Premium to debut in 2017

Newest cabin experience offers more space, elevated service and thoughtful amenities on Delta’s longest flights.

Delta Premium, the latest cabin experience from Delta Air Lines, will debut on select international flights in late 2017. Through additional space, elevated service and distinguished amenities provided by partnerships with brands focused on design and quality, Delta is bringing the ‘premium’ back to the premium economy experience.

http://news.delta.com/delta-premium-debut-2017
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Looks fantastic, especially with the six rows of W and legrests rather than AA's three rows and legrests only on the first row. Dare I say this W is the new J with Delta Suites as the new F?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
looks like a solid product. excited to try
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Longboater
Looks fantastic, especially with the six rows of W and legrests rather than AA's three rows and legrests only on the first row. Dare I say this W is the new J with Delta Suites as the new F?
Boom:

"Delta Premium will roll out on its Boeing 777 fleet beginning in 2018. Additional fleets may be added."

Do we need any more proof that they're going to make 777's 10 wide now?

With "premium" seats "as wide as 19 inches", no way on earth they're leaving economy at 18.5.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm optimistic but the implementation (price point, GUC effect, etc) will be key to my ultimate opinion.

The only downside I see is seat width, not that great, but probably still a reasonable improvement over economy.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Delta.com has been updated with the following:

"Diamond Medallion® Members may use Global Upgrade Certificates to upgrade to Delta Premium. Complimentary Upgrades are not available."

So no more Y to J upgrades on Premium equipped aircraft. If AA wasn't planning on doing the same (as they still haven't confirmed, even with PE launching officially in just six months), undoubtedly DL has just signaled their own intentions to AA.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
Boom:

"Delta Premium will roll out on its Boeing 777 fleet beginning in 2018. Additional fleets may be added."

Do we need any more proof that they're going to make 777's 10 wide now?

With "premium" seats "as wide as 19 inches", no way on earth they're leaving economy at 18.5.
Within five years, you'll be able to count on one hand the airlines that still have nine abreast in Y on their 777 fleet. The economics can no longer justify nine abreast on the 777. Fortunately, Delta only has 18 aircraft whereas AA/UA have 151 777s.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by dw

"Diamond Medallion® Members may use Global Upgrade Certificates to upgrade to Delta Premium. Complimentary Upgrades are not available."

So no more Y to J upgrades on Premium equipped aircraft. If AA wasn't planning on doing the same (as they still haven't confirmed, even with PE launching officially in just six months), undoubtedly DL has just signaled their own intentions to AA.
Another great enhancement!
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
Another great enhancement!
I'd be shocked if AA doesn't do this as well. In fact, AA has signaled they will but Delta has been explicit in this announcement.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dw

It doesn't say no more Y to J upgrades. Based on what you quoted, my take is that they'll allow you to use a global upgrade to W if J doesn't have any more upgrade inventory.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by dw

Wow, I thought you were joking but here it is:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tificates.html

EDIT: Here are the terms. Doesn't sound as bad as I thought.

•Certificates are flexible — they can be used to upgrade directly from Main Cabin to either Delta Comfort+, First
Class, Delta Premium or Delta One. Or they can be used to upgrade from Delta Comfort+ to either First Class, Delta Premium or Delta One. Or they can be used to upgrade from Delta Premium to Delta One.
•Once an upgrade clears however, the certificate is considered used and a different certificate would be required to upgrade again, even to move to a different cabin on the same flight.
Still, very unlikely I go for Diamond this year as I planned... I can see GUCs devaluing quickly.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Nov 3, 2016 at 7:46 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by dw

Does this mean you need to have a paid ticket in Delta Premium to be eligible to use your GUC to get into J? Or maybe it's like C+ today where you go onto the upgrade list for both and cleared into whatever is available?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
I'd be shocked if AA doesn't do this as well. In fact, AA has signaled they will but Delta has been explicit in this announcement.
Dude - just because the industry is going in a particular way doesn't mean it is good for FT'ers. Or that we should be happy about a devaluation of medallion benefits.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
A full year after AA.

Tumi and Alessi can now be found at your neighborhood Marshalls/HomeGoods or TJX yet DL passes them off as premium brands. Can't make this stuff up. But the seats look better than AA from the rendering posted.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
When I originally saw this, was under the impression they would offer Delta ONE, Delta Premium, Comfort+, and then Economy. But looking at the press release and the photos it appears that Premium replaces Comfort+....so I guess Premium will be on widebody/international and Comfort+ on narrowbody/domestic?

Sort of a confusing offering of products....but my take is Premium will be on aircraft where they can offer larger seats/legrests and Comfort+ will just be differentiated as more legroom/free snacks and drinks on aircraft that they cannot reconfigure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.