Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification: Not Sure How Unique This Is

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medallion Qualification: Not Sure How Unique This Is

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by micstatic
Is status really so worth it to you to justify mileage runs? Let alone Hong Kong, and multiples to LHR? It's not to me.
Don't forget, many really enjoy flying just for flying's sake. I know I am one. I have MQMs coming out of skin I have so many - but I still would do an MR just for the thrill. It really is best not to judge others as you do not know their mindset IMHO
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by micstatic
Is status really so worth it to you to justify mileage runs? Let alone Hong Kong, and multiples to LHR? It's not to me.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Don't forget, many really enjoy flying just for flying's sake. I know I am one. I have MQMs coming out of skin I have so many - but I still would do an MR just for the thrill. It really is best not to judge others as you do not know their mindset IMHO
What GRAILSTAIR said.. I love to fly, I go out my way to take additional segments (did 7 in one day once). My company pays for my travel so I absolutely don't mind the flying. The thrill of waking up in a foreign country at 3am and getting work done and then watching the sunrise.

That's the best.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:51 am

Totally agree ^ . On DL of course we have DAY - MSP/DTW/ATL . I wish there was a JFK option and ideally an SLC too . To do that have to go from CVG.

Back OT - If someone lives in XXX and commutes every week to say CHA - then XXX-ATL-CHA and return = 4 segments. Now assume 50 weeks to allow for vacation and (I like round numbers) then 4 x 50 = 200 so I can see how someone could relatively easily rack up 200 segments.
Now Imagine someone living a place like DLH that only has service to MSP. If they have to go from DLH to someplace like RDM frequently, then thats 3 segments each way or 6 RT. That gets you the segments up QUICK.

Then you have the people that often have to do circle trips, throw one or more connections on that trip, and you're looking at a ton of segments in a hurry.

Then there are always the fun IROP re-routes that add segments.

But I would really like to know what is the highest number of segments that DL has had one person fly each year. I don't need anything about that person, just number of segments and most frequent route(s) Something tells me it's a LGA/BOS shuttle person who commutes near daily getting 2 per day 250+ days a year.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by kop84
Now Imagine someone living a place like DLH that only has service to MSP. If they have to go from DLH to someplace like RDM frequently, then thats 3 segments each way or 6 RT. That gets you the segments up QUICK.

Then you have the people that often have to do circle trips, throw one or more connections on that trip, and you're looking at a ton of segments in a hurry.

Then there are always the fun IROP re-routes that add segments.

But I would really like to know what is the highest number of segments that DL has had one person fly each year. I don't need anything about that person, just number of segments and most frequent route(s) Something tells me it's a LGA/BOS shuttle person who commutes near daily getting 2 per day 250+ days a year.
I did CLT-ATL-MSP-PDX-SEA-YVR in one day once.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
It's not that I necessarily love to travel. It's not bad and my company treats me well. As for status: it's absolutely worth it. I don't make mileage runs. I just travel for work and essentially "whore myself out" (sorry for the crude analogy- it's what came to mind!) to one airline since you will be better off during irops etc. no matter what airline I fly I will have to connect. I chose delta a few years ago and have had no problems. They treat me well.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I have to second this. I don't mind mileage runs and I tend to use them as opportunities - whether it's as short as the $100 hamburger, making a day trip to LAX to go watch planes at In-N-Out, or perhaps make a short weekend trip to go somewhere new or attend an event or go make a quick trip to visit family on the other side of the country. While not exactly a long trip from an MQM earning standpoint (though adding some connections upped the MQM count ) I recently did an overnight to SAN with my wife who had a conference down there. We flew down Saturday and went to a Padres game that night so we could cross another ballpark off the list and I flew home the following morning.

Since I'll be hitting DM this year, I'm looking at getting GUCs and then using them to make a long weekend trip to Europe to go plane spot at a major airport over there.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by greycap7
What GRAILSTAIR said.. I love to fly, I go out my way to take additional segments (did 7 in one day once). My company pays for my travel so I absolutely don't mind the flying. The thrill of waking up in a foreign country at 3am and getting work done and then watching the sunrise.

That's the best.
It's a LUCKY thing to be able to do
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by WWads
That does sound interesting. Unfortunately, all of my miles/segments to date have been within the continental 48. I have a trip to Prague in two weeks, but other than that I will be all domestic.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
That does sound interesting. Unfortunately, all of my miles/segments to date have been within the continental 48. I have a trip to Prague in two weeks, but other than that I will be all domestic.
I was pointing out that the previous poster's comment was very similar to a line from a recent post by a major travel blog.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:00 pm

haha that line stuck with me!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I was pointing out that the previous poster's comment was very similar to a line from a recent post by a major travel blog.
TOTALLY missed that. My bad. I can be a little dense sometimes.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greycap7
My company pays for my travel so I absolutely don't mind the flying.
They pay for MRs to HKG and LHR? Are they hiring??
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I am also one of those people who will get both miles and segments to get my diamond status every year. I am also one of those people who LOVE to fly. I am on a plane every week. I miss it when I am not on a plane.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:21 pm

I'm not sure how I should feel about my lack of progress in making Diamond given the spend to date and watching what others put up.

MQM: 88,700
MQS: 115
MQD: $42,939
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:49 pm

I am in a similar boat - sitting at

149,869 MQMs
137 MQSs (will be at 139 when I get home Friday night)
$19,522 MQDs
Won't make the waiver, since I am required to pay for my travel with a company card, so my AmEx spend is strictly personal.

My flying is virtually all for work, and all domestic. I expect to finish out the year with around 200k miles, which will make a nice carry over into next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.