Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Qualification: Not Sure How Unique This Is

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle

Ive been Diamond for 3 years in a row, but this is the first time I have hit the DM level for MQM, MQD and segments. The segment thing is the new one to me. Thats a lot of take offs and landings!!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Ive been Diamond for 3 years in a row, but this is the first time I have hit the DM level for MQM, MQD and segments. The segment thing is the new one to me. Thats a lot of take offs and landings!!
Sad thing for me is I have just ad many MQM, and MQD, but have only 20 MQS. I guess DL might like it, meanS per flight I spend a lot more. However company/customers I'm sure don't. Of note though my MQD is inflated since numerous tickets were VS stock. On one alone I earned three times the MQDs then the fare plus taxes was.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sad thing for me is I have just ad many MQM, and MQD, but have only 20 MQS. I guess DL might like it, meanS per flight I spend a lot more. However company/customers I'm sure don't. Of note though my MQD is inflated since numerous tickets were VS stock. On one alone I earned three times the MQDs then the fare plus taxes was.
Wow! Only 20 segments. That's a good few weeks for me. Not sure which is worse.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Wow! Only 20 segments. That's a good few weeks for me. Not sure which is worse.
All but maybe one or two are at least 4.5 hours. With more then half being 12+hrs. Of course this only counts DL/SKYTEAM/VS flights and doesn't include any reward flights which so far have also been all 12+hrs except for BKK-PVG on FM.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have 3 out of 4. MQMs , MQDs and card spend waiver. 70 segments. Yes OP it is incredible you have the MQMs and segments. As you say a lot of take off and landings.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:32 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
A coupl'a years ago, I flew next to a guy JFK/ATL was a manager at one of the huge carpet mills near Atlanta. His company was installing the new carpeting at JFK terminal 4.

Anyway, I just happened to mention to him that that flight put me at 100 segments for the year. He told me that, I think, he had 241!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by davetravels
A coupl'a years ago, I flew next to a guy JFK/ATL was a manager at one of the huge carpet mills near Atlanta. His company was installing the new carpeting at JFK terminal 4.

Anyway, I just happened to mention to him that that flight put me at 100 segments for the year. He told me that, I think, he had 241!
That's roughly a RT every 3 days. There comes a point when it's truly excessive.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
That's roughly a RT every 3 days. There comes a point when it's truly excessive.
If he lives near ATL and is working in JFK, he has about a two hour commute each way. Many people who commute to their jobs in Manhattan drive more than that 5 days per week.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:58 am
Original Poster

One of the hazards of living in fly over country like i do in Dayton, OH. I have a colleague who does essentially what I do, but she lives in Minneapolis. We have roughly the same spend, but I am roughly doubling her on segments and have her on MQMs by about 50,000. Each one of my trips includes 2 extra segments and I get a minimum of 1000 extra MQMs depending upon where I connect through.

The quality of life in Dayton is AMAZING. The travel ease: not so much
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:58 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Depending on where you're going, round trips can also be 4 segments, I guess, although, one would think you could get most places nonstop from ATL.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM
One of the hazards of living in fly over country like i do in Dayton, OH. I have a colleague who does essentially what I do, but she lives in Minneapolis. We have roughly the same spend, but I am roughly doubling her on segments and have her on MQMs by about 50,000. Each one of my trips includes 2 extra segments and I get a minimum of 1000 extra MQMs depending upon where I connect through.

See the attachment. I hit the same recently. I am also a Dayton flyer, usually flying out on the Sunday evening flights out to Detroit or Atlanta.

Quality of life is amazing in Dayton, and not only do you rack up the segments, but I get Avis points by renting a one-way car to South Dayton rather than taking a Taxi or Uber.

In November I will have flown one year with Delta. I graduated from Ohio State last year and I think that I did pretty well
Attached Images  
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Nice!! at your young age you will crush MM status soon. I avoid the Sunday night flights like the proverbial plague. I'm lucky that I can with my job.

My standard is Monday am flights, usually to the west coast followed by a red eye home Wednesday night/Thursday am. I have traveled every week this year with the exception of 2. Delta called me those two weeks to make sure i was ok!! KIDDING of course
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Nice!! at your young age you will crush MM status soon. I avoid the Sunday night flights like the proverbial plague. I'm lucky that I can with my job.

My standard is Monday am flights, usually to the west coast followed by a red eye home Wednesday night/Thursday am. I have traveled every week this year with the exception of 2. Delta called me those two weeks to make sure i was ok!! KIDDING of course
That's rough.. but I'm not one to speak. I did Hong Kong MR one weekend and I'm doing LHR for the weekend for the next few weekends. At my current pace I will hit MM in 4.5 years.

I would like to start taking the Monday morning flights. However what I do sometimes is fly the 6pm flight to Detroit. In Detroit many times there will be an offer to take the Monday AM flight to my final destination and they'll offer 600 Delta Dollars, hotel etc...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Totally agree ^ . On DL of course we have DAY - MSP/DTW/ATL . I wish there was a JFK option and ideally an SLC too . To do that have to go from CVG.

Back OT - If someone lives in XXX and commutes every week to say CHA - then XXX-ATL-CHA and return = 4 segments. Now assume 50 weeks to allow for vacation and (I like round numbers) then 4 x 50 = 200 so I can see how someone could relatively easily rack up 200 segments.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by greycap7
That's rough.. but I'm not one to speak. I did Hong Kong MR one weekend and I'm doing LHR for the weekend for the next few weekends. At my current pace I will hit MM in 4.5 years.
Is status really so worth it to you to justify mileage runs? Let alone Hong Kong, and multiples to LHR? It's not to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.