Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SYD Internet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:02 am
Original Poster

LAX-SYD Internet

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how the Internet is for LAX-SYD? Is the speed decent? How is the coverage? I can't quite tell on the GoGo map where I would and would not have coverage.

Thanks
Old Sep 9, 2016, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ndstate
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how the Internet is for LAX-SYD? Is the speed decent? How is the coverage? I can't quite tell on the GoGo map where I would and would not have coverage.

Thanks
It's gogo. It either works or it moves very slowly. Of course have coverage. Other then extremely northern latitudes or in China airspace (most airlines I've noticed don't provide it there, so must be a china thing) it'll work.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
In my two flights, I experienced a gap in the southern hemisphere when more than a couple of hours out from Sydney.
doubleA likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by angra
In my two flights, I experienced a gap in the southern hemisphere when more than a couple of hours out from Sydney.
There shouldn't be. GoGo has coverage from above that includes most of the Pacific. There could be an issue for brief bits depending on track of flight. Also remember it's GoGo. It either works really well, or barely works at all.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
https://www.gogoair.com/commercial/2ku

That's a link to a GoGo sat coverage map. It's not fully global but the NoGo areas are pretty small relative to where the mass of commercial aircraft spend their time in flight. Check FlightRadar24 and see where few planes fly.

https://www.flightradar24.com/42.51,-83.11/2

Last edited by 3Cforme; Sep 9, 2016 at 6:21 am
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:59 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Interesting - well, I won't claim my experience is representative, just reporting what I saw.

In flight, there were a few hours where I got the "Gogo is not available" splash page, and it roughly corresponded to positions where the coverage map provided on that page indicated a gap. I just spent a few minutes trying to find that map, without success. ETA: I found a map online that looks like what gogo showed in flight.

Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

That map appears to be slightly out of date. Updated one is on gogo website. The gap in the Pacific is considerably less now then what that one shows.
Old Jan 16, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Resurrecting an ancient thread. What’s the Wi-Fi internet situation on the A350 between LAX and SYD these days?

Is it free? Is there coverage the whole flight?
Old Jan 16, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
Unfortunately, on the A350, it won’t be free (Viasat internet is free, Gogo “WiFi Onboard” is not).

I’m also curious about Gogo coverage TPAC, as I have an upcoming itinerary and have had a hard time finding a good coverage map for “WiFi Onboard”
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Its fine. No issue. Goes and comes at times.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 5:04 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Its fine. No issue. Goes and comes at times.
Do you recall how much the flight pass is? And can you switch devices or are you locked to the device you purchase the pass on?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Do you recall how much the flight pass is? And can you switch devices or are you locked to the device you purchase the pass on?
Can always switch devices by logging into the account on the other device. I dont recall the price but its less than $50.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:23 am

There is one A350, registration #N519DN that is equipped with Viasat wifi, and Viasat does not have currently have coverage over the pacific. So if your flight happens to be operated by N519DN, there will be no wifi for the entire flight. You can check on Flight Aware or Flightradar 24 about a day before your flight to see if this plane will be operating your flight so you can prepare accordingly.
MSP_Monopoly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.