Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks, Delta; Flat Tire Rule

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by OHDL1
It is for anyone...
While there is informally a "flat tire" rule, there's is no actual policy requiring it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a "flat tire unwritten rule" which involves waiving the change fee. There is zero entitlement to it and a ton of people who have made the demand only to be met with a blank stare and a thin smile as the fare for the next flight is quoted.

For those who think that it's too much trouble to call in so that the seat can be released, there is absolutely no requirement to do so. Just book a full Y fare and you can refund the ticket 364 days after the flight if you want.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by orca15
And when teenager daughter missed the last flight of the day because of a gate change in ATL and was put up for the night in the kid's bunk by DL.
What is "the kids bunk?"

Does DL have a sleeping area in the kids Sky Zone or whatever it's called?
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:56 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
On another good note....as a DM on an award ticket I was #1 for 0 seats last night for OGG-LAX.

Tonight I am #1 for 2 seats.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
What is "the kids bunk?"

Does DL have a sleeping area in the kids Sky Zone or whatever it's called?
I don't know where in ATL it is but anyone traveling alone under 18 that misconnects and needs to wait for a flight the next day (or otherwise gets stuck there overnight) gets taken to a supervised place designed for this as a hotel wouldn't rent a room to someone that age.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by silverthief2
I don't know where in ATL it is but anyone traveling alone under 18 that misconnects and needs to wait for a flight the next day (or otherwise gets stuck there overnight) gets taken to a supervised place designed for this as a hotel wouldn't rent a room to someone that age.
That's good to know. I wonder how many other airports have such a facility? Brings to mind the recent report of a minor left alone all night in a Canadian airport by Air Canada after a misconnect. Minor was 16 I think so was not flying UM, but was too young to get a hotel room and apparently agents were unhelpful.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a "flat tire unwritten rule" which involves waiving the change fee. There is zero entitlement to it and a ton of people who have made the demand only to be met with a blank stare and a thin smile as the fare for the next flight is quoted.
this right here is the problem

if you open the conversation with an apology, and keep a civilized tone while asking if there is anything the agent can do to help, you are FAR more likely to succeed
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767

if you open the conversation with an apology, and keep a civilized tone while asking if there is anything the agent can do to help, you are FAR more likely to succeed
It's amazing the number of people that think getting ugly is the way to win a favor. I worked as a CS Director during college, and will never forget the lady that wanted me to approve an exception that would cost the company many hundreds of $. After being told no I normally would listen to whatever excuse. I would then decide based off the response what to do. Lady decided the way to my heart was telling me she was going to come back and kill me while leaving work, and then go and kill my family so we could all be together. What a sweetheart she was. She got an exception to policy alright, we don't normally restrain customers, in this case security restrained her, the police were called and she was arrested.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:03 am
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by jrl767

OP here.

I actually didn't know anything about the Flat Tire Rule. I simply called in expecting to have to pay more miles to rebook my award flight home for the next day. This is why I looked up redemption fares before I called in.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's amazing the number of people that think getting ugly is the way to win a favor. I worked as a CS Director during college, and will never forget the lady that wanted me to approve an exception that would cost the company many hundreds of $. After being told no I normally would listen to whatever excuse. I would then decide based off the response what to do. Lady decided the way to my heart was telling me she was going to come back and kill me while leaving work, and then go and kill my family so we could all be together. What a sweetheart she was. She got an exception to policy alright, one where the police were called and she was arrested.
I used to work in CS at a bank right after high school. Basically I spent at least half of my day listening to people explain why they should not be charged over-draft fees. I had total authority to reverse them but had a simple rule: If you were kind and did not make BS excuses, I would happily refund them (as long as it was not a regular pattern, which we tracked). If you were mean to me, or insisted that over-drafting was somehow the bank's fault, I would not. Being 18 years old and paid $9/hour, I did not care at all about the banks bottom line in this case, I only cared if the customer was a jerk or not.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by silverthief2
(Sorry for the off topic...)

This. It's an unmarked side room somewhere in ATL, has cots, games, etc. They gave her an overnight kit and some snack food, IIRC.

She was 17 but I was sure happy to have the assistance. They were firmly in control once they found out she was under 18.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.