FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Thanks, Delta; Flat Tire Rule (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1789362-thanks-delta-flat-tire-rule.html)

355F1 Sep 7, 2016 1:10 am

Thanks, Delta; Flat Tire Rule

I was supposed to fly home tonight from Maui on an award ticket in Y.

My rental car wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot, and unable to get to the airport to make my flight.

Called the DM line and the supervisor allowed the agent to use the "flat tire rule" even though I wasn't physically at the airport.

Btw, for those of you that don't know, the "flat tire" rule is that if you show up within 60 minutes past your scheduled departure time the counter agents have the authority to rebook you for no charges or fees, according to the DM line agent who took care of me.

Thanks, DL. I truly mean it. :)

JesseRohr Sep 7, 2016 4:41 am

I've been close before but thankfully never had to exercise this. Good to know it worked out for you.

vincentharris Sep 7, 2016 5:20 am

It is nice, but also depressing that we all have to run through these hoops to avoid substantial cancellation/rebooking fees.

wb8iny Sep 7, 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 27176404)

My rental car wouldn't start and left me stranded in a parking lot, and unable to get to the airport to make my flight.

Called the DM line and the supervisor allowed the agent to use the "flat tire rule" even though I wasn't physically at the airport.

Btw, for those of you that don't know, the "flat tire" rule is that if you show up within 60 minutes past your scheduled departure time the counter agents have the authority to rebook you for no charges or fees, according to the DM line agent who took care of me.

Thanks, DL. I truly mean it. :)

They have applied the rule for me in CMH when I had to head to the office to pick up new documents for work before traveling to Canada..... I'm sure my limited status (GM) factored in, but was appreciated. I don't abuse it, and hope that if it happens again it would be the same outcome!

bubbashow Sep 7, 2016 6:19 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 27176950)
It is nice, but also depressing that we all have to run through these hoops

Calling if you are going to be late = run through hoops?

I am sure they want to track the use of this to keep gamers in line.

BTW, policy is to put the passenger on standby list with a "C" designation. This is a fairly-low priority standby passenger, clearing long after the HK's and definitely after the SDSC (same day standby) and B's (mishandled passengers).

EZEDoesIt Sep 7, 2016 7:31 am

Had a problem with a rental car in Europe last year and had to do the same, but I called in advance. Unfortunately when I arrived at the airport my ticket hadn't been reissued, so I had to call again... Thankfully it was the fastest I'd ever had an international ticket fixed!

OHDL1 Sep 7, 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris (Post 27176950)
It is nice, but also depressing that we all have to run through these hoops to avoid substantial cancellation/rebooking fees.

OK..let's just do away with the "flat tire" rule...and see how loud you squeal.

The Situation Sep 7, 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by wb8iny (Post 27177078)
They have applied the rule for me in CMH when I had to head to the office to pick up new documents for work before traveling to Canada..... I'm sure my limited status (GM) factored in, but was appreciated. I don't abuse it, and hope that if it happens again it would be the same outcome!

Being nice and honest is probably more important than status. I have seen enough of people yelling at or blaming the agent (as if it was the agent's fault they were late to the airport) to know that sort of behavior gets you charged a change fee + fare difference, regardless of status. I have never needed the flat tire rule and hopefully never will, but glad to know its there.

kaaria Sep 7, 2016 12:29 pm

Is the flat tire rule only to medallions or can anyone use it?

355F1 Sep 7, 2016 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by kaaria (Post 27178744)
Is the flat tire rule only to medallions or can anyone use it?

I honestly don't know the answer.

But I am guessing that it is for anyone but up to the discretion of the counter agent.

davetravels Sep 7, 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1 (Post 27178185)
OK..let's just do away with the "flat tire" rule...and see how loud you squeal.

My thoughts are . . . .

The OP was on:

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 27176404)

An AWARD ticket!

If it had been a paid ticket, the ticket would have at least had some residual value - - but . . .

On award ticket - TECHNICALLY - once the OP passed the 72 hour prior mark - the ticket should have been completely UNCHANGEABLE! . . . (except for, maybe SDS)

So, whether it was the flat tire rule, or extra consideration due to status - the OP got a HUGE favor, and CLEARLY didn't "jump thru any hoops"!

:)

Widgets Sep 7, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 27177104)
Calling if you are going to be late = run through hoops?

I am sure they want to track the use of this to keep gamers in line.

BTW, policy is to put the passenger on standby list with a "C" designation. This is a fairly-low priority standby passenger, clearing long after the HK's and definitely after the SDSC (same day standby) and B's (mishandled passengers).

If the same class of service is available, it can be confirmed. Otherwise, it's usually going to be standby with priority code C.

OHDL1 Sep 7, 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by 355F1 (Post 27178796)
I honestly don't know the answer.

But I am guessing that it is for anyone but up to the discretion of the counter agent.

It is for anyone...

orca15 Sep 7, 2016 1:32 pm

Instead of "Flat Tire" I recently got the benefit of the "Frigging Teenagers" rule when my son showed up at the gate 3 mins after the door closed...after not following very explicit instructions fom Dad on when to leave and what route to take...excuse was that TSA had him do extra screening. Mmmm, that's what the extra 30 mins that you blew off was for!

And when teenager daughter missed the last flight of the day because of a gate change in ATL and was put up for the night in the kid's bunk by DL. And for that time when Dad had his watch still on Central time in ATL...Oops.

So thanks from me as well, Delta!

355F1 Sep 7, 2016 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 27178856)
My thoughts are . . . .

The OP was on:

An AWARD ticket!

If it had been a paid ticket, the ticket would have at least had some residual value - - but . . .

On award ticket - TECHNICALLY - once the OP passed the 72 hour prior mark - the ticket should have been completely UNCHANGEABLE! . . . (except for, maybe SDS)

So, whether it was the flat tire rule, or extra consideration due to status - the OP got a HUGE favor, and CLEARLY didn't "jump thru any hoops"!

:)

Correct.

Shockingly I looked at simply booking a one-way flight home the next day and lo and behold there WAS availability through Skymiles for 20k Y AND ALSO 40k in F....and everyone knows that metal was on AS because they actually offer low awards all the time on their metal!

So, She originally told me there would be an additional 20k miles charged for the next day's flight on DL metal (same flight I had the night before that I missed and I paid 45k Skymiles RT for the ticket) but then she went to a supervisor to see about circumventing the 72-hr rule.

I'm glad it all worked out and that DL took care of me.