Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

is 24 hrs cancellation fee free reset if I make a change to my ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

I bought a ticket yesterday, if I modify it today before tonight (with no change fee), does it give me 24 additional hours to cancel it if need be?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My understanding would be no.

BTW, the guarantee is that you can cancel, not change, although some phone agents will kindly make changes for you. If you completely cancel and rebook, you're more likely to get another 24 hours to change or cancel.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as a "no change fee" modification unless you have purchased a fully flexible ticket. You may be thinking of a no fee cancellation. Here are the rules:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...cellation.html

You may find that some agents may simply make a change and waive the change fee if you do so in a situation under the 24-hour policy, but that is an exception.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
You may find that some agents may simply make a change and waive the change fee if you do so in a situation under the 24-hour policy, but that is an exception.
Agreed, though it is an exception that every single agent has agreed to make when asked IME. So there may not technically be the right to a 24 no change fee, in practice this right exists.

In terms of your question, I have had the fee waived several times within 24 hours after making a change, and it seemed to me that the agent or the website thought that it was a new reservation ( I did not volunteer that it was not). IME, what a change does do is trigger your right to cancel again within 24 hours, so it makes sense that they would be willing to waive the fee within that period, unless the fare had gone up dramatically. I'm not sure if this is by the book true, but it seems to be how the DL system handles reservations.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you change rather than cancel and book a new reservation, the ticket will show as exchanged for the old ticket number, so it will obvious that there was an earlier booking.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you change rather than cancel and book a new reservation, the ticket will show as exchanged for the old ticket number, so it will obvious that there was an earlier booking.
One would think, but IME this is apparently not obvious to phone agents.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're intent on extending the 24-hour period, it's far wiser to cancel and rebook
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
I believe allowing a change within 24 hours is Delta policy. You can even do this online; when you change the ticket, there is no change fee, just a fare difference (if any).
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by huskerchad
I believe allowing a change within 24 hours is Delta policy. You can even do this online; when you change the ticket, there is no change fee, just a fare difference (if any).
NW used to let you change with no fee online within 24 hours, but in my experience, DL has always required a call.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're intent on extending the 24-hour period, it's far wiser to cancel and rebook
+1.^ Just cancel and rebook. A new PNR will reset clock for another 24 hours.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by jrl767
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.