Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is requesting C+ upgrade too risky to chance now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is requesting C+ upgrade too risky to chance now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Traveling Salesman
I moved most of my business to AA because of this new c+ system. To me this was the final straw to the devaluation of DM status.
That might be the right choice for you, everyone's situation is different. But for me I'll take the couple of extra steps in the WU process over the much worse customer service at AA (IMHO) any time.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I do the same thing as the other poster, with a couple additional points. I always check the C+ seating chart before selecting the UG at booking. If there are no aisle or window seats, or if I can snag an aisle exit row, I won't check the box. Also, even if you click for the UG to C+ and get hosed, all you need to do is call DL immediately and they'll undo the UG. I did this accidentally on a recent booking.
This. Don't req the upgrade if there aren't window/aisle seats avail in C+.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Traveling Salesman
I moved most of my business to AA because of this new c+ system. To me this was the final straw to the devaluation of DM status.
I forget what prompted me to think this (some thread someplace in the AA forum I'm sure) and could be wrong, but I got the hint that AA was moving in the direction to adopt this same (or similar) system in the future.

As I said, I could have gotten my wires crossed or misunderstood.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Delta has destroyed the once great Economy Comfort and turned it into Comfort+. They will lose many customers. Used to be great product. Not anymore. Very sad.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
As a GM I am frustrated that DMs and PMs are (not without good reason, so my frustration is with Delta, to be clear) now just sticking with exit seats more often, preventing some of us lower status folks from one of the piddling benefits we get for 50K BIS miles a year.
The devaluations always roll down hill, don't they?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by RaflW
As a GM I am frustrated that DMs and PMs are (not without good reason, so my frustration is with Delta, to be clear) now just sticking with exit seats more often, preventing some of us lower status folks from one of the piddling benefits we get for 50K BIS miles a year.
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. The people who are not OK with middle seats wouldn't have selected them before the W/WU change anyway. They would have opted for an exit row or other preferred seat instead. Seat preferences haven't changed and the vast majority of PM/DMs are savvy enough to request an upgrade if a desirable C+ seat is available. If anything, fewer exit row seats are taken by PM/DMs because a few are bamboozled into a middle seat "upgrade" instead.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
But you get my middle seat in C+ though!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:12 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Delta has destroyed the once great Economy Comfort and turned it into Comfort+. They will lose many customers. Used to be great product. Not anymore. Very sad.
where are these customers going to go IYO?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I'm sorry, but what negative features do you see in C+ vs EC? Why was EC a "great product"?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:13 pm

Flying with my wife and there are two seats next to each other open in C+ but if I list for upgrade, we could end up separated in middle seats in C+ and it is not clear whether we could get our decent seats back after having been "upgraded". Happier to just stay where we are. All this could be avoided if they could just write software that allows rejection of middle seats unless linked to aisle or window for couples or voluntary blocking of upgrade to middle seats. This would prevent separation and still give priority to single flyers for C+ upgrade. Oh well.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Since there is even a 1% chance of being stuck in a C+ Middle seat I never check the upgrade to C+ option, just FC.

The "free" drink isn't worth it to me when I can be guaranteed an aisle exit row seat.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Flying with my wife and there are two seats next to each other open in C+ but if I list for upgrade, we could end up separated in middle seats in C+ and it is not clear whether we could get our decent seats back after having been "upgraded". Happier to just stay where we are. All this could be avoided if they could just write software that allows rejection of middle seats unless linked to aisle or window for couples or voluntary blocking of upgrade to middle seats. This would prevent separation and still give priority to single flyers for C+ upgrade. Oh well.
It's hard to say Delta and write software in the same sentence. We all have our preferences, but most are not going to happen.

As has been said before, don't select the C+ upgrade unless you are eligible and the seats you want are available. At T-72 I have seen seats that I want in C+ and then I can select them.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:57 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I think one of the fallacy's on this site is that people always say "Where are you going to go?" I think a lot of people are saying they just may book each trip as it's convenient to them, as opposed to saying I need to stear all my business to delta because I like the elite benefits. The Comfort+ was one of the few tangible "worth flying delta for" benefits.

I also don't really understand delta's angle on this separate cabin thing. In the past I would often even as a gold pay to purchase a Comfort+ seat. It was fairly convenient to do, and only required me clicking a couple buttons. I think that as a separate cabin it becomes more trouble than it's worth to buy the seat. I would just see it being easy for them to monetize the cabin if it weren't a separate cabin.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Yep, even as a PM I am finding it tougher to get exit row or aisle seats since the C+ change.

My standard is to look at the open seats as soon as I get my ticket, if there are aisles open I'll click the "upgrade to C+" button and in that case the upgrade processes automatically (presumably because if there are any aisles left then there is enough inventory left for an upgrade). If there aren't any C+ aisles open I just find the best seat I can in the back and leave the upgrade unchecked.

This C+ "upgrade" thing has a material impact on their customers and I'm almost at the point I'd rather they just got rid of C+ all together so those rows become open for everyone at booking.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:33 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Zeeb

This C+ "upgrade" thing has a material impact on their customers and I'm almost at the point I'd rather they just got rid of C+ all together so those rows become open for everyone at booking.
But, we would have wasted all that time discussing the C+ changes (or maybe we wasted that time anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.