Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is "Premium Economy"? (Not Rhetorical)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

Ok, I just got one of my exciting "you've been upgraded!" Emails - you know, the ones where delta celebrates moving you from one part of coach to another?

This email was different though: this is a domestic itinerary and the last segment is on a Barbie jet that is traditionally a luxurious ERJ-145. Well, that is the segment that has been "upgraded". But, it wasn't upgraded to "comfort plus", it was upgraded to "premium economy". Is delta now finally being honest and admitting that this isn't really an upgrade, but just another economy seat?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
The fare class being used for Comfort+ bookings is "W", which was formerly used for Premium Economy.

Premium Economy in the airline industry is a specific concept, referring to a class of service that's noticeably better than regular economy - think of it as domestic first class, except on international planes, and you'll be in the right ballpark. Air France offers this product, so Delta needed a fare class for years to sell tickets on those joint venture flights. It's designed for business travelers whose policies say they can only book 'economy' fares, but who are willing to pay more than a regular economy seat for noticeably better seats and service on long flights.

Now that they're offering Comfort+, they reused "W" fares for that purpose, but some older systems - including, apparently, the upgrade e-mails - still say Premium Economy.

It's certainly wrong, but not for the reason you thought - it actually implies a higher level of service than Comfort+ actually offers. :|

Long story short - despite what the e-mail says, the service onboard will be standard Comfort+.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
The fare class being used for Comfort+ bookings is "W", which was formerly used for Premium Economy.

Premium Economy in the airline industry is a specific concept, referring to a class of service that's noticeably better than regular economy - think of it as domestic first class, except on international planes, and you'll be in the right ballpark. Air France offers this product, so Delta needed a fare class for years to sell tickets on those joint venture flights. It's designed for business travelers whose policies say they can only book 'economy' fares, but who are willing to pay more than a regular economy seat for noticeably better seats and service on long flights.

Now that they're offering Comfort+, they reused "W" fares for that purpose, but some older systems - including, apparently, the upgrade e-mails - still say Premium Economy.

It's certainly wrong, but not for the reason you thought - it actually implies a higher level of service than Comfort+ actually offers. :|

Long story short - despite what the e-mail says, the service onboard will be standard Comfort+.
You'll notice on the itinerary that you're now in fare class WU after the "upgrade" where W is C+ seating and U means free elite "upgrades".
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:00 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jimrpa
This email was different though: this is a domestic itinerary and the last segment is on a Barbie jet that is traditionally a luxurious ERJ-145. Well, that is the segment that has been "upgraded".
I thought the E-145 doesn't have C+ seating. So I'd file this under "Delta IT, per usual".
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Premium Economy in the airline industry is a specific concept, referring to a class of service that's noticeably better than regular economy---- Air France offers this product, so Delta needed a fare class for years to sell tickets on those joint venture flights.

Also Virgin Atlantic which of course is 49% owned by DL. This product is noticeably better than Economy
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just like other cabin classes (as opposed to fare buckets), there is a wide variance in the hard and soft product across carriers and aircraft.

It always pays to read the description of what you are getting. Are these better seats or is it simply a preferred location or perhaps a bit of extra legroom. Is the food of greater or better quantity or are there more selections? Boarding priority?

There are tons of variables and it can really make a difference.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
on the E45 it obviously means "preferred seating" in the first few rows or the exit row
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Well if you are on Eva, Cathay, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore, etc. then premium economy truly is a separate nicer product then economy, but not quite as nice as business.

If you are on DL it supposedly is a better seat and not much else.....
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Note that I did not actually purchase a W fare, I purchased something else (I believe K). Btw, I just checked, and there was an equipment swap for a CRJ 900 (which is surprising), so it would make sense that there would be a FC cabin as well as Comfort Plus and Main Cabin. Just don't get why they called it Premium Economy.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by vincentharris

If you are on DL it supposedly is a better seat and not much else.....
Don't forget the snack basket and free alcoholic beverage
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Note that I did not actually purchase a W fare, I purchased something else (I believe K). Btw, I just checked, and there was an equipment swap for a CRJ 900 (which is surprising), so it would make sense that there would be a FC cabin as well as Comfort Plus and Main Cabin. Just don't get why they called it Premium Economy.
because "Delta Comfort +" doesn't mean anything to anyone besides DL regulars (of course, the fact that "DL C+" doesn't remotely resemble what other airlines call PE is irrelevant to DL marketeers, but that's a different conversation)

but that said, regardless of my seat, I'd definitely call ERJ --> CR9 an upgrade
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Premium Economy in the airline industry is a specific concept, referring to a class of service that's noticeably better than regular economy - think of it as domestic first class, except on international planes, and you'll be in the right ballpark. [...]

Sadly, it's not as true now that Premium Economy only refers to that differentiated product. In addition to DL using the W code for Comfort+, AS calls their forthcoming Comfort+ equivalent "Premium Class". It looks like we may be heading towards a world where the marketing term "premium economy" is used for a completely different product domestically than it is internationally, as has been the case with "first class" for years (ditto "business class" in Europe and Australia).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jrl767
but that said, regardless of my seat, I'd definitely call ERJ --> CR9 an upgrade
Ha... that's an email I'd like to see from DL...

YOUR MEDALLION® UPGRADE HAS BEEN CONFIRMED.

Congratulations on your complimentary Medallion upgrade!

You have been upgraded from an ERJ to a CR9. You can look forward to not banging your head and knees against every possible part of the plane, complimentary seat cushions not made out of tissue paper, and Guaranteed Overhead Storage™ for bags larger than a wallet. (Guaranteed Overhead Storage™ not actually guaranteed.)

Please review your itinerary below for more information. There's no need to reconfirm your flights—you can view and make changes to your itinerary anytime in My Trips. Please note: if your upgrade has not been confirmed for your entire trip, you will remain on the standby list for other available upgrades, including to CR2s and Q400s.

We look forward to seeing you on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.