Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Choosing between two long-hauls and on REALLY long haul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat

Looking for people's thoughts for a trip from ATL to Africa.

I'm fortunate enough to be traveling in Biz (Delta One and codeshare Biz with KLM) from ATL to JNB. I actually have to overnight in JNB to take a final leg on South African to get to my final destination...but that's not what I'm here to ask about.

My question is, which would you choose?

Two flights: (about 8 hours from ATL to AMS) and (about 10 hours from AMS to JNB).

Benefits I see: Shorter flights, chance move around mid-route to enjoy lounge in AMS, and to experience Biz class on KLM
Negatives: Depending on how you see it, two flights requiring a connection, longer total travel time, and arrival in JNB about 3 hours later than direct flight.

OR

One of Delta's longest flights (about 15 hours from ATL to JNB direct)
Benefits I see: Only one flight, no connections, early arrival in JNB to possibly enjoy a few more things.
Negatives: Even in Delta One, 15 hours is a LONG flight, and the remaining seats on the flight I would take are adjacent to the lav.

So FT-ers, what would YOU choose and why???

I should also note that this will be my first leg in Delta One, and I'm PUMPED. Any "make sure you enjoy xyz" advice is most welcome as well. Also looking forward to a major MQM haul on these flights, possibly reaching and uncharted elite level for me!
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I would chose the direct, longer flight. By the time you eat, and get settled, you can actually get a long sleep before the breakfast starts. Those shorter flights are hard to get a full night's sleep.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Personally I would go for ATL-JNB and just try and sleep through the flight.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:50 pm

I would choose the direct flight. It might be a long flight, but you could easily get 6 or 7 hours of sleep so just think of it as one 9 hour flight versus two had you connected through Amsterdam.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National - Exec, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Delta - Gold, AA - Plat
I definitely see that rationale, but there's a part of me who still wants to experience the two legs just for the added experience. Most of us on here write and comment on our travels out of the pure love of flying and travel in general.

So, while I completely get the opportunity to get a full night's sleep, I'm still tempted to take the longer adventure...
Old Aug 20, 2016, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've taken ATL-JNB. It's fine. You can get a nice long sleep especially in Biz, and have the afternoon in JNB or fly on to CPT, etc.

If you get a 23 hr layover in AMS, that might make the split flights worth it, as you could enjoy a day there.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
I also *really* don't like connecting in AMS and would also do the direct form ATL.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
I definitely see that rationale, but there's a part of me who still wants to experience the two legs just for the added experience. Most of us on here write and comment on our travels out of the pure love of flying and travel in general.

So, while I completely get the opportunity to get a full night's sleep, I'm still tempted to take the longer adventure...

If you're looking to check out a couple different airlines to compare biz class and check out Schipol, then it sounds like a good opportunity.

Personally, I agree with the other posters. ATL-JNB is a nice, (very) long flight that allows you to experience all Delta One has to offer at a leisure pace, and still have plenty of time to grab a good night's sleep.

I live on the west coast and always try to get the longest flights possible for some rest. Those east coast to Europe flights can be tough!

Either way, have a great trip.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do the really long flight. It gives you time to enjoy the first meal (dinner, I assume) at a leisurely pace, get a good night's sleep, and then have breakfast before landing, probably with a couple movies too. The shorter long haul flights are miserable in that they're waking your for breakfast (unless, idea, you instruct the FAs to let you sleep through breakfast) before you've slept for very long.

The longer flights often have a mid-flight snack, slippers, and the extra tiny pillow too, so the "catering" and "service" tends to be a bit better. You might also get DL PJs, which are being introduced on the longer routes.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by appleguru
I also *really* don't like connecting in AMS and would also do the direct form ATL.
Just out of curiosity, why? I've connected there three times now, and while I was indifferent the first two times when they still had individual gate security, I found it great for connecting now that you can connect without having to reclear security. (Not trying to prove you wrong or anything - your opinion is your opinion and I'm curious if you have a reason for hating it that I didn't experience or know about).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
For those who have done ATL-JNB, do you really try to get a "full night's sleep" on the eastbound to JNB, given that the flight lands in JNB late in the evening local time? Seems like if you got a good night's sleep on the flight in, you wouldn't be tired to go to bed once getting in in JNB.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
For those who have done ATL-JNB, do you really try to get a "full night's sleep" on the eastbound to JNB, given that the flight lands in JNB late in the evening local time? Seems like if you got a good night's sleep on the flight in, you wouldn't be tired to go to bed once getting in in JNB.
When I did it, it was SFO ATL JNB CPT, so I got up fairly early in SFO, had a leisurely connection in ATL then watched a few movies before sleeping much of the way to JNB. With that long a trip, I had no problem going to sleep at about 11 pm local time in CPT, and really felt little jet lag, up and running pretty early the next morning.

Slept pretty well on the way back, too.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
When I did it, it was SFO ATL JNB CPT, so I got up fairly early in SFO, had a leisurely connection in ATL then watched a few movies before sleeping much of the way to JNB. With that long a trip, I had no problem going to sleep at about 11 pm local time in CPT, and really felt little jet lag, up and running pretty early the next morning.

Slept pretty well on the way back, too.
hmmmmmm ... OP's profile says ATL, so it's not really clear how your itinerary starting in SFO is all that relevant ...
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
ATL-JNB is fine in D1. It's similar to ATL - NRT and DTW-PVG. I've done all 3 in D1 and all were fine.

I've essentially done the other. ATL-AMS-BAH. I found it harder.

If you were in economy you might want the AMS connection but in D1 that's an easy decision for me.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:37 am
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by jrl767
hmmmmmm ... OP's profile says ATL, so it's not really clear how your itinerary starting in SFO is all that relevant ...
Try looking at the post I was replying to.

Cheers,

Doc

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 21, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.