Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FINALLY Complimentary Y Meals Long Haul HNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FINALLY Complimentary Y Meals Long Haul HNL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by valuetactics
No love for OGG routes though I'm flying economy MSP-OGG early next month and got so excited when I saw the announcement, only to then find out it's only on HNL routes. I wonder if they will serve loco moco?

I didn't know about the problems with BOB items. Glad I looked at this thread. We'll be stocking up on food in the airport for sure.
I think that will be a "direct" flight, and not nonstop, so MSP-(SEA/LAX)-OGG. I wish they'd just do anything over 4.5 hours. Would make it easy. Although in all fairness, flying home from SAN a few weeks ago, I was in the exit row and they still had a bunch of BOB sandwiches by row 18 in the 738 (and a lot of people were buying them). I think the BOB problems were endemic to the long haul HNL flights.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: UR, RR, MileagePLus, Dividend Miles (R.I.P), AAdvantage, HHonors, IHG, Skymiles
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think that will be a "direct" flight, and not nonstop, so MSP-(SEA/LAX)-OGG. I wish they'd just do anything over 4.5 hours. Would make it easy.
I should have clarified: It's a MSP-LAX-OGG flight.

I suppose they went with HNL flights because that's the most popular destination in Hawaii and it will get them the attention they want, without having to also feed the Lihue, Kahului and Kona routes at additional expense.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: delta dm
No love for OGG routes though I'm flying economy MSP-OGG early next month and got so excited when I saw the announcement, only to then find out it's only on HNL routes. I wonder if they will serve loco moco?

I didn't know about the problems with BOB items. Glad I looked at this thread. We'll be stocking up on food in the airport for sure.
Didnt know that route was direct....i doubt it.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

I suppose they went with HNL flights because that's the most popular destination in Hawaii and it will get them the attention they want, without having to also feed the Lihue, Kahului and Kona routes at additional expense.
The other destinations (LIH, OGG, KOA) are only served from the west coast (SEA & LAX), with flight times around 6 hours. The meals that will be served to from HNL are from the Midwest/East Coast (MSP/ATL/JFK) where the flight time is 8-9+ hours or more. West Coast flights to/from HNL (SEA/LAX/SFO/PDX/SLC) won't be getting meal service in Y.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
I wonder if it will match international service in that they'll offer kids, kosher, etc, etc. options. No sign of this (or options) on my reservations for next summer.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Finally good news for the longer-ish haul HNL routes. I still remember when DL was all about downgrading the A330 ATL/MSP-HNL service and then jacking up the reward miles for these.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

It has nothing to do with the the destination, it is the length of the route, and as others have pointed out, you are not actually flying MSP-OGG nonstop. While I personally think that any flight over 5 hours should have complimentary meal service in all cabins, this is not case. You should have enough time during your connection at LAX to purchase food to bring on board for the second leg, though I would pack a few snacks just in case.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:53 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Didn't NW serve zero, zilch, nada on MSP-HNL? Seem to recall it was "elevated" to DLs (admittedly not so high) standards in early 2009.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:43 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
It is amazing when legacy carriers they serve two meals on the 6.5h JFK-LHR but only offer BOB on East Coast to Hawaii flights. Nice to see DL implementing this.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Didn't NW serve zero, zilch, nada on MSP-HNL? Seem to recall it was "elevated" to DLs (admittedly not so high) standards in early 2009.
NW did cut meals on this route at some point after 9/11 when domestic meals were cut on most airlines aside from Continental and Hawaiian.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
NW served meals on it until shortly before the merger, IIRC. I'm thinking 2007 or maybe 2006, around the time A330s replaced the DC-10s. I flew MSP-HNL on the day the merger was announced, of course BOB then, but I remember the meals hadn't been gone too long.

DL brought back meals to that route in later 2008 or early 2009. Then they dropped that route in early 2011, and then dropped ATL-HNL meals sometime after that.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:00 pm

remember when everyone always complained about airline food ? the airlines found a way to stop the complaints.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:27 pm

Trivia: Although meals will be served in coach on ATL/HNL non stops starting 9/15, the 1/3/13 flight still says food for purchase. DL IT is on the ball!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Trivia: Although meals will be served in coach on ATL/HNL non stops starting 9/15, the 1/3/13 flight still says food for purchase. DL IT is on the ball!
A 1/3/13 flight would have been BOB. A 1/3/17 would have meals. FYI It's not DL IT but scheduling that has to update the system. IT is only as smart as the info it's given.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by minnyfly
NW served meals on it until shortly before the merger, IIRC. I'm thinking 2007 or maybe 2006, around the time A330s replaced the DC-10s. I flew MSP-HNL on the day the merger was announced, of course BOB then, but I remember the meals hadn't been gone too long.

DL brought back meals to that route in later 2008 or early 2009. Then they dropped that route in early 2011, and then dropped ATL-HNL meals sometime after that.
Point is DL did going in, NW didn't. Weren't MSP-HNL and MEM-AMS the final D13 runs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.