Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Airfare Prices Fall 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
The strategy might be to hold inventory for later. They don't want to fill the planes with cheap fares well in advance.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The strategy might be to hold inventory for later. They don't want to fill the planes with cheap fares well in advance.
I think we have a winner here.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
The market sorts itself out. Sustainable prices are only what the market will pay.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Is it just me or are ticket prices in general very expensive this fall. Even short hop midcons for a ticket in Y are pricing out anywhere from 500 to 700 dollars when just this spring the prices were half of that on the same routes. I do not live in a hub. Anybody experiencing these same data points on routes you normally take that are now ridiculously expensive?
Prices have been high all year long on routes I normally fly. There are no deals to be had. Just suck up and pay through the nose.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The market sorts itself out. Sustainable prices are only what the market will pay.
Except when the market is three (maybe four, if you include WN) choices that pretty much collude with each other to set prices. Markets can't solve all problems, and aren't infallible.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Ticket prices - on average - have been falling year over year for DL, AA, UA. Maybe the OP is seeing something different based on a few markets, or based on non-optimal buy-timing patterns. Thirty seconds with any quarterly profit statement shows fares aren't up markedly.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Prices have been high all year long on routes I normally fly. There are no deals to be had. Just suck up and pay through the nose.
That is illegal!! Those people is complaining about the tickets price. They are too tired of them! What a waste!! I can't stand it anymore!!! Those customers want to search a real cheap price with the reasonable fares. This is outrageous!!! There's no reason for this. Good riddance to Delta!!!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
"The average price of domestic airfare dropped to $363 in the fourth quarter of 2015 -- the lowest level since 2010, according to the Department of Transportation."

8.3% drop year-on-year.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/27/pf/a...rices-cheaper/

And, while we are talking numbers, DL stock price is down about 12% from last year at this time.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Red face

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Actually, I think the summer fares to Europe have been lower this year than in the past couple of years, ~$1200 rather than $1700-1800 that I saw the two previous summers.

There are occasional deals. I just grabbed a $655 fare for round trip MSP-AMS for 8/23-9/6. Pretty good for hub-to-hub TATL fares on those dates. That fare was available for about three days, then returned to ~$1160.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
"The average price of domestic airfare dropped to $363 in the fourth quarter of 2015 -- the lowest level since 2010, according to the Department of Transportation."

8.3% drop year-on-year.

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/27/pf/a...rices-cheaper/

And, while we are talking numbers, DL stock price is down about 12% from last year at this time.
I have seen great international deals but horrible domestic deals. Too bad there isnt a breakdown of that.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen great international deals but horrible domestic deals. Too bad there isnt a breakdown of that.
Why would that help? The numbers (for domestic only) don't support your assertion. DL fares may be higher, but overall, fares are lower. Here's a report on the latest domestic number released a few days ago.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html
http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/bts039_16

If you are price sensitive and find DL fares too high, fly a different carrier.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Why would that help? The numbers (for domestic only) don't support your assertion. DL fares may be higher, but overall, fares are lower. Here's a report on the latest domestic number released a few days ago.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html
http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/press_releases/bts039_16

If you are price sensitive and find DL fares too high, fly a different carrier.
I think everybody is price sensitive. If someone is not price sensitive then they are foolish and I have some ocean front property to sell them. How does low ticket prices on routes that I dont fly help me ...answer is it doesnt. I just wanted to see what others personal experiences have been. I will fly delta when the price is right and wont when it isnt but I wont blindly pay for it because the airplane says delta on the side like other people seemingly do.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What a difference the lack of a word makes

When I read the thread title, I anticipated "Delta Airfare Prices Fall [in] 2016"... which would conform to recent press and the government report.

What I found was "Delta Airfare Prices [for] Fall 2016"

Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes maybe the thread needs to be renamed.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes maybe the thread needs to be renamed.
I am kinda surprised that providing OPs the ability to revise a thread title did not show up in the "If I ran FT..." thread.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Jul 31, 2016 at 10:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.