Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: N639DL
Print Wikipost

Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread — 2016 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Did you see anyone else being served ravioli? It would be highly unusual for Delta to offer more than 2 meal choices in standard domestic first class, and a flight that is just over 900 miles would typically only offer a sandwich or salad type meal.
Definitely more of a midcon dinner regarding Ravioli - Just had it on JFK-DEN (it was good) but can't see it on BOS-ATL unless they started a 3 choice menu on a short haul premium route.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've not yet flown from BOS -> ATL in April, but on the segments in March, there were only two choices at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The flight time is only a little over two hours and goes by quickly; especially on a 757 when the FAs sort of have to hustle to get the meals out.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
On a 7hr Delayed BOS-SLC, we had 4 choices, The FA said that they loaded:

5: Ravioli
4: Chicken Teriayki
5: Main Course Salads
1: Meatloaf/Meatball dish

Maybe it's a BOS Catering thing but they've really stepped up their Quality and Quantity of options
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
On a 7hr Delayed BOS-SLC, we had 4 choices, The FA said that they loaded:

5: Ravioli
4: Chicken Teriayki
5: Main Course Salads
1: Meatloaf/Meatball dish

Maybe it's a BOS Catering thing but they've really stepped up their Quality and Quantity of options
Boston does have really solid catering, in terms of quality.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Did you see anyone else being served ravioli? It would be highly unusual for Delta to offer more than 2 meal choices in standard domestic first class, and a flight that is just over 900 miles would typically only offer a sandwich or salad type meal.
I was not looking at what other people were eating. It would be a surprise to me if they really only offered those two options both being cold on a dinner flight.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by N639DL
I was not looking at what other people were eating. It would be a surprise to me if they really only offered those two options both being cold on a dinner flight.
Offering two options is standard, and only offering cold options is very common on shorter haul flights.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
My first Delta flight in about 15 years (I am an AS Gold 75K and was loyal to UA for many years) impressed me.

Route/Flight: MSP-LAX/DL 1249
Date: April 9, 2016
Aircraft/Seat: 757-300/4B
Meal: Lunch

Pre-departure beverages, followed by lunch, a choice of a Salmon Salad Niçoise or a Sausage & Pepper Calzone. I chose the salad.

Nice salad with greens, potatoes, green beans, hard-boiled egg, onions, tomatoes, olives and capers, served with a balsamic vinaigrette. The salmon tasted nice and the ingredients were high quality. Breadsticks were hiding behind the plate. Dessert was chocolate cake with red grapes, cheddar and brie. I had some decent-enough chardonnay.

Good service with drinks topped up throughout the flight. About 90 minutes before landing the snack basket (bananas, fig bars, Twix, shortbread cookies, the famous chili corn nuts and some other goodies) came around, followed by another pass a few minutes later.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 10:56 am

Route/Flight: LAX-MSP/DL 1807
Date: April 13, 2016
Aircraft/Seat: 757-300/4C
Meal: Breakfast

Another good performance. Pre-departure beverages, then breakfast, a choice of a tomato and cheese omelet or oatmeal with fruit.

The omelet was delicious, with tomatoes, onions and mozzarella cheese. Sausages, potatoes, a sesame-seed bagel with butter and cream cheese and a fruit bowl (oranges, pineapple, red grapes and a strawberry) were also on the tray. I had a coffee with Baileys.

The lead flight attendant was excellent. When it came time for a refill, he brought put my mug and another Baileys mini, which he had warmed up so it wouldn't make the coffee cold. I had to work so I put it into my bag, but it was a nice touch. He offered a "third" but I said no thanks.

Before landing the snack basket came around three times. Great flight!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Kurt, I always enjoyed your UA meal posts. Glad to see you over here. ^
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
SEA-AMS April 2016

Prawn Cocktail
with grilled vegetable horseradish and green goddess drizzle
---
Spinach Salad
with strawberries, almonds and creamy goat cheese

Sweet Pea and Edamame Soup
with minted cashew cream
---
Herb-Crusted Lamb Chops
with saffron quinoa, spring vegetables and green apple gastrique

Grilled Chicken with Tomme Cheese
with fregola and spinach risotto, fava bean salad and basil jus

Mustard-Crusted Tuna
with coconut rice, wakame, asian mushroom salad and pickled ginger

Pesto Ravioli
with golden tomato sauce, farro salad and asparagus
---
Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
with your choice of sauces, biscoff cookie crumble and whipped cream

Lemon Tart

Selection of Fine Cheeses
cypress grove midnight moon, kaltbach gruyère and buttermilk affinée offered with fresh fruit and fig compote
---
Skybreak Snack Basker
---
Potato and Parmesan Frittata
with tomato hollandaise and asparagus

Raisin Almond Granola Cereal
with milk and yogurt
---
Whites
Franciscan Estate Equilibrium 2013
Ca’ di Rajo Pinot Grigio 2014

Reds
Château de Chantegrive 2011
Andrew Peace Shiraz 2014

Dessert Wines
Banfi Brachetto d’Acqui Rosa Regale
Ferreira Fona Antonia Tawny Porto

Champagne
Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaïque
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Kurt, I always enjoyed your UA meal posts. Glad to see you over here. ^
Thanks; DL is a good option to LAX as paid F is quite reasonable (I think I paid right at $400 R/T from DEN). AS gives a 25% EQM bonus on G class, so it's a nice option. I think the more-expensive A class gives a 75% bonus. AS won't sell me DEN-SEA-LAX (tries to put me on AA nonstop), but DL will give me DEN-SEA-LAX or DEN-SLC-LAX. This DEN-MSP-LAX route was a bonus for me as DL went from a 717 to a CR9 DEN-SEA and I was able to change to this route.

UA is still UA; I did DEN-SEA-SBA last month on an award ticket and got a surprise F seat on a 3-class 777 DEN-SFO (post-blizzard upgauge). The seat was great, but the food (very overcooked chicken, and a cookie that was like a small manhole cover, it was so overdone) and service were so disappointing. Disjointed, unorganized, just blah. And of course the large crew could be found in the center and rear galleys socializing with one another.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:13 pm

Fresh off a DTW-LHR-DTW Delta One trip. Out on 3/30/16, back on 4/12/16.

Obligatory pre-flight champagne glass. Thought it might help me relax, but the minute we took off we hit some bumps to a point where the pilot asked Cleveland to find us a better route (and flipped the wrong switch so the entire plane heard it), so that didn't quite work out.

The main courses on the way to LHR; I had picked the ravioli but ended up turning them down because I didn't feel that great.

Beverages list.

Wine card.

Appetizer. The trout was OK; the bread was cold and stale.

I really liked the edamame and green pea soup. Not so much the tomatoes and potatoes.

Menu for the trip back. I had the fish. Should have had the pasta.

The crab salad was delicious.

You might notice a pattern here: the (red lentil) soup was good, the salad - not so much.

The rice (generally bland by itself) actually managed to accentuate the fish's flavor (by itself it had none, the promising coconut sauce notwithstanding) and make it palatable. Still, pasta would have been a better choice.

Cold lobster sliders which turned out similar to the crab salad appetizer a few hours prior in that I ate the lobster and left the cold and stale bread well alone.

All told, not a terrible culinary experience, but nowhere near Lufthansa/British Airways.

Last edited by highlanderfil; Apr 16, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 18, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
SEA-AMS April 2016

Prawn Cocktail
with grilled vegetable horseradish and green goddess drizzle
---
Spinach Salad
with strawberries, almonds and creamy goat cheese

Sweet Pea and Edamame Soup
with minted cashew cream
---
Herb-Crusted Lamb Chops
with saffron quinoa, spring vegetables and green apple gastrique

Grilled Chicken with Tomme Cheese
with fregola and spinach risotto, fava bean salad and basil jus

Mustard-Crusted Tuna
with coconut rice, wakame, asian mushroom salad and pickled ginger

Pesto Ravioli
with golden tomato sauce, farro salad and asparagus
---
Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae
with your choice of sauces, biscoff cookie crumble and whipped cream

Lemon Tart

Selection of Fine Cheeses
cypress grove midnight moon, kaltbach gruyère and buttermilk affinée offered with fresh fruit and fig compote
---
Skybreak Snack Basker
---
Potato and Parmesan Frittata
with tomato hollandaise and asparagus

Raisin Almond Granola Cereal
with milk and yogurt
---
Whites
Franciscan Estate Equilibrium 2013
Ca’ di Rajo Pinot Grigio 2014

Reds
Château de Chantegrive 2011
Andrew Peace Shiraz 2014

Dessert Wines
Banfi Brachetto d’Acqui Rosa Regale
Ferreira Fona Antonia Tawny Porto

Champagne
Champagne Jacquart Brut Mosaïque
That's almost exactly the same menu we had PDX-AMS at the end of March. Only difference was our "Settling In" was a Smoked Trout dish instead of prawn, and for "Starters" we had asparagus and olive oil potatoes instead of the spinach salad. Everything else on the Spring 2016 menu was the same.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by highlanderfil

Menu for the trip back. I had the fish. Should have had the pasta.

The crab salad was delicious.

You might notice a pattern here: the (red lentil) soup was good, the salad - not so much.

The rice (generally bland by itself) actually managed to accentuate the fish's flavor (by itself it had none, the promising coconut sauce notwithstanding) and make it palatable. Still, pasta would have been a better choice.

Cold lobster sliders which turned out similar to the crab salad appetizer a few hours prior in that I ate the lobster and left the cold and stale bread well alone.

All told, not a terrible culinary experience, but nowhere near Lufthansa/British Airways.
The menue for our return AMS-PDX in early April was identical to this, excluding the entrees sections. I have to agree with you on many counts. I was particularly disappointed by the lobster sliders. I didn't really know what to expect, but I was disappointed when it showed up. My wife actually sent it back (the FA said ahead of time if she didn't like it, she would see if there were any leftover fattoush salads). The lobster cake thing in the middle tasted an awful lot like a cold crab cake. And the bun...yeah, definitely dry and nothing great. Not at all as good as the bread for their rolls, or the Delta Hamburger.

I didn't have the ravioli so I don't know how good it actually is. But when we were trying to decide what to get, the purser came along and mentioned that if he had to pick, he wouldn't have picked the caprese pasta dish. He said something about how it wasn't as big and filling as the others? Or maybe he just wanted one for himself hahaha
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by brocklee9000
The lobster cake thing in the middle tasted an awful lot like a cold crab cake.
That's exactly it. Not an awful thing in my mind, but it just depends on your tolerance for copious amounts of mayo.
And the bun...yeah, definitely dry and nothing great. Not at all as good as the bread for their rolls, or the Delta Hamburger.
Never had the Delta burger, but saying "nothing great" is giving those buns too much credit .
I didn't have the ravioli so I don't know how good it actually is. But when we were trying to decide what to get, the purser came along and mentioned that if he had to pick, he wouldn't have picked the caprese pasta dish. He said something about how it wasn't as big and filling as the others? Or maybe he just wanted one for himself hahaha
That's not necessarily a bad thing, IMO. Pure amount-wise, they serve plenty of food to stuff you, so a smaller dish isn't a problem for me. Plus, I think I finally experienced the loss of taste in a dry pressurized environment I'd heard so much about with the fish. It literally had none.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.