Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL PM
One more point of clarification: is there priority baggage handling? My understanding is that checked baggage (at least 1 piece) is free on VA anyhow.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by kamadzu4
One more point of clarification: is there priority baggage handling? My understanding is that checked baggage (at least 1 piece) is free on VA anyhow.
Yes, as stated on the DL page: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...rgin+australia
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Confirmed that on my domestic VA itinerary, I received VA lounge entrance (as well as priority baggage handling, priority boarding, etc).
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Bit of an old thread, but I thought I’d reply with an update. So I’m currently DL PM. My boarding pass with VA for a domestic flight (DRW-PER) read “Partner Gold.” So I guess we get reciprocal benefits at the level of their Velocity Gold Members. Makes me think that DM will get “Partner Platinum.”

I had priority check-in at their business class / velocity Gold+ desk, priority boarding, priority bag tags, and lounge access granted to me. It was a regional flight with all economy seats, but their website didn’t let me book exit row seats. I think for my next flight I’ll call in ahead ans book my seats with an agent to get access to the priority seats. The airport was tiny too, so at the bigger airports, I think we get access to priority screening too, as well as some of their direct to lounge screening lines.

They have an Economy X product which I think is similar to Comfort + here. But that is a paid “upgrade” only. Their Velocity Platinum members get complimentary access. I won’t know if that goes to DM as a reciprocal benefit though.

Hope this update is informative for anyone else flying VA. I have some other flights planned on their bigger planes and to bigger cities. If there’s anything different I’ll report
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by G-man82
They have an Economy X product which I think is similar to Comfort + here. But that is a paid “upgrade” only. Their Velocity Platinum members get complimentary access. I won’t know if that goes to DM as a reciprocal benefit though.
I have a domestic tcon on VA in May as a DL DM. I did not elect to pay up for EconomyX, we'll see if it is offered at airport. I see no indication in my reservations online that it is now.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I recently booked domestic SYD-BNE and called VA toll free number which just routes you to their call center in Indonesia and was handed off to 3 different departments (probably just the next person/desk beside them) until I insisted to talk to someone in Australia. Was patched through their call center in Brisbane....finally someone that could explain the process. So I mentioned that I am a DM with Delta and wanted to be assigned Economy X seats. She explained to me that this was not currently an option upon booking but that you could check on availability day of departure for Economy X or First at ticket counter/gate. She also mentioned that the alliance could change down the road to include Economy X seats upon booking but was not sure of if or when this will happen. As a one time courtesy she did put me and my companion in Economy X.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
\
One thing to note re lounge access: The DL website says VA lounge access is granted for GM/PM/DMs with boarding passes for same-day international flights. However, VA lounge access is also granted for GM/PM/DMs when traveling domestically within Australia as well. The VA website used to state that clearly, and as a matter of practice it is still true (tested last weekend).
Does anyone have a recent verification that this is true? I have a domestic SYD-BNE in coach later today and wondering whether to try for lounge.

I don't see anything about status on my boarding pass, but it does have my Delta info attached to my booking.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by angra
Does anyone have a recent verification that this is true? I have a domestic SYD-BNE in coach later today and wondering whether to try for lounge.

I don't see anything about status on my boarding pass, but it does have my Delta info attached to my booking.
Bump to see if you ever got an answer to this? Have SYD - MEL and MEL - SYD coming up in the next week as standalone domestic itineraries in coach. My online SYD - MEL boarding pass doesn't even show "Partner XYZ" just simply lists my my DL SkyMiles number
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I did recently AKL-TBU with VA and on the boarding pass, it did state Partner airline next to my DL FF number. I was correctly reflected back as Velocity Platinum member and enjoyed all benefit as a VA Platinum member would enjoy (which I was surprised).
I had even the seat next to me blocked by the agent when they only had middle seat left for the BigXL seats and I opted to stay in my original chosen seat.

I would expect the same should apply for domestic flights. You can check again with an agent at the airport - but what I believe is important is that it is mapped correctly to the VA status.

Cheers!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Bump to see if you ever got an answer to this? Have SYD - MEL and MEL - SYD coming up in the next week as standalone domestic itineraries in coach. My online SYD - MEL boarding pass doesn't even show "Partner XYZ" just simply lists my my DL SkyMiles number
I did not get an answer, but I tried anyway, and succeeded. I think I showed my DL Diamond card, but I can't remember if it was necessary.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nldogbert
I did recently AKL-TBU with VA and on the boarding pass, it did state Partner airline next to my DL FF number. I was correctly reflected back as Velocity Platinum member and enjoyed all benefit as a VA Platinum member would enjoy (which I was surprised).
I had even the seat next to me blocked by the agent when they only had middle seat left for the BigXL seats and I opted to stay in my original chosen seat.

I would expect the same should apply for domestic flights. You can check again with an agent at the airport - but what I believe is important is that it is mapped correctly to the VA status.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by angra
I did not get an answer, but I tried anyway, and succeeded. I think I showed my DL Diamond card, but I can't remember if it was necessary.
Thanks for update! I guess I'll just see how it goes when I get to SYD. Not flying into Australia on DL/VA or I'd have the international ticket component for SYD - MEL (was able to confirm an upgrade on UA so flying UA to SYD). I did bring my DL PM card just in case it's needed.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yes, DL and VA have a reciprocal lounge agreement which includes domestic access.

DL Gold & DL Plat are equal to VA Gold ('Partner Gold'), and can have 1 guest.
DL DM is equal to VA Plat ('Partner Platinum') and should be able to have 3 guests although I have not tested this.
Your physical BP should say 'Partner Gold' or "Partner Platinum' accordingly (not sure about OLBP) when the DL number is properly applied.

And yes, VA Gold & Plat get Skyclub access even on DL domestic itineraries as part of the agreement.

To enter the VA lounge, show your BP and DL card. They always ask for the card IME, although they've always accepted an expired card without question. I think they verify status online, so you might get by without a card, but I would definitely bring it if you can. The BP scanners that VA elites use won't work, you need to see an agent.

Look for 'Premium Entry' in SYD for carry-on-only check-in and security that leads straight to the lounge. The MEL lounge is outside security, so just go straight there after check-in... it has its own security to T3. Enjoy the VA lounges.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:57 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So about about for LAX-MEL-LAX (2 DMs in PE, 1 PM in economy) for lounge access?? Also is there Premium Entry for international MEL? Also does the PM in Y, get the extra leg room seats for free?
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So about about for LAX-MEL-LAX (2 DMs in PE, 1 PM in economy) for lounge access?? Also is there Premium Entry for international MEL? Also does the PM in Y, get the extra leg room seats for free?
The VA/DL agreement is only between their operated lounges. Unfortunately VA has no lounges in any international terminals, so on international VA itineraries a DL status flyer can find themselves out of luck.

As a DL status flyer in Y on VA, at LAX you have SkyClub access, but no lounge in TBIT is available to you (VA status flyers have Etihad lounge access). At MEL, you can access the domestic VA lounge, which is outside security and a short walk from the international terminal. But, you can't access any lounges in the MEL international terminal. So, you have options, but inconvenient ones.

VA's extra legroom product, EconomyX, is not free on international flights even for their top-tier members. Everyone has to pay.

So flying DL metal to SYD has it's perks for DL flyers, both lounge and C+ (while it lasts). But transiting at SYD Intl->Dom is torture, so the direct flight to MEL is well worth it.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Latest VA experience

Smoothest transition from DL to VA that I can remember in the past 7 years of flying thru Sydney.

Forgot to have LAX push bags thru to BNE...with separate itineraries on DL to SYD, then VA to BNE.
At xfer desk in Sydney, agent wasn't sure if the VA status for DL diamonds. After talking with super, she confirmed that PM/DM get VA baggage = 3x23kg bags.
She also asked us if we wanted economy X seats, as they are available.
Got bus xfer tix over to domestic
Lounge access no problem on domestic.

So it seems the VA/DL "partnership".is v alive and well.
Hepsaint likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.