FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1780843-plat-delta-medallion-benefits-virgin-australia.html)

jhokie Jul 26, 2016 6:35 pm

Plat Delta medallion benefits on Virgin Australia

Hi,
What benefits does delta plat members get on Virgin Australia when flying coach on the transpacific flight and domestic Aust.? Do we get club access?
Thanks

xliioper Jul 26, 2016 6:46 pm

http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en...frequent-flyer
http://www.virginaustralia.com/us/en...-lines/#lounge

jhokie Jul 26, 2016 6:53 pm

thanks these are great links!

realjd Jul 26, 2016 7:02 pm

Domestic Aus - it's been a few years, but priority checkin, priority boarding, and lounge access. That's about it. Don't expect any upgrades.

International - no clue. We used miles for J.

BHammy Jul 27, 2016 5:32 am

As mentioned, yes to VA lounge at SYD Domestic terminal. Also get to use the VIP entrance with their own security lanes...after being dropped off from transfer shuttle, go past the main entrance doors (with the flow of traffic), up the ramp to the VIP entrance that drops you right into lounge with brekky and showers.

Only challenge you may have, as I've had twice a year for the past 6 years is return baggage. VA is supposed to give you DL baggage rules on the return, but usually had to be explained to them..helps to have printout of Delta's baggage page.

lamont2718 Jul 27, 2016 11:22 pm

It's worth pointing out that for international VA flights from SYD, DL Medallions don't get lounge access. VA does not have a lounge in the international terminal, and the NZ lounge will not admit DL Medallions unless they are flying on DL metal.

BHammy Jul 28, 2016 2:20 pm

The NZ lounge won't admit DL medallions unless they are flying first.
But if flying DL out of SYD internationally, one can visit the new SkyTeam lounge in international terminal.
Otherwise, there is an AMEX lounge next to the ST lounge that grants access for most amex cards.

realjd Jul 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by realjd (Post 26973288)
Domestic Aus - it's been a few years, but priority checkin, priority boarding, and lounge access. That's about it. Don't expect any upgrades.

International - no clue. We used miles for J.

Quoting myself... I just remembered that my wife and I also got free checked bags when I showed my PM card for all 3 of our domestic flights, even though we bought saver fares from VA.

BenA Jul 30, 2016 6:15 pm

FWIW, I have had good luck getting better seat assignments on VA-operated flights, short and long haul, by inquiring at checkin or the lounge. I've found a VA domestic lounge is the absolute best place to ask - the agents in there are fabulous. Don't expect a class upgrade (although it's happened, particularly on leisure routes like NAN-SYD), but at least a decent aisle or bulkhead seat should be possible if they aren't all assigned on day of departure.

mspflier Jul 31, 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718 (Post 26979432)
It's worth pointing out that for international VA flights from SYD, DL Medallions don't get lounge access. VA does not have a lounge in the international terminal, and the NZ lounge will not admit DL Medallions unless they are flying on DL metal.

What if transferring in SYD from a DL flight (J or Y) to a VA int'l flight? Would ST lounge work for ST Elite Plus?

BHammy Aug 1, 2016 2:00 am

Originally Posted by mspflier (Post 26993487)
What if transferring in SYD from a DL flight (J or Y) to a VA int'l flight? Would ST lounge work for ST Elite Plus?

First time I tried to check in to the ST lounge: no, it was only for departing ST int'l flights. (but that was a year ago)

VA is not part of ST.

flyerCO Aug 1, 2016 3:09 am

Originally Posted by BHammy (Post 26996955)
First time I tried to check in to the ST lounge: no, it was only for departing ST int'l flights. (but that was a year ago)

VA is not part of ST.

As long as your inbound long haul is on Skyteam metal and you're connecting on to a domestic flight is the only way to use Elite+ lounge access upon arrival on a Skyteam flight. Since the Skyteam Lounge is of course in international terminal there's no way to access.

kamadzu4 Sep 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Will be flying VA on a domestic Australian itinerary. I'm probably just being blind, but clicking the links above, I can't find where it says in writing that a DL PM would have priority check-in, priority boarding, and lounge access.

lamont2718 Sep 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by kamadzu4 (Post 27231120)
Will be flying VA on a domestic Australian itinerary. I'm probably just being blind, but clicking the links above, I can't find where it says in writing that a DL PM would have priority check-in, priority boarding, and lounge access.

Not sure why, but those pages have changed. However, the DL website still shows the benefits: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...rgin+australia

One thing to note re lounge access: The DL website says VA lounge access is granted for GM/PM/DMs with boarding passes for same-day international flights. However, VA lounge access is also granted for GM/PM/DMs when traveling domestically within Australia as well. The VA website used to state that clearly, and as a matter of practice it is still true (tested last weekend).

deltanerd Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am

I flew with VA last April as Gold and their wasn't many benefits internationally. The main benefit was being able to have priority check in and priority boarding. My recommendation is to try and fly on Delta Metal unless you are flying on a business class fare.