Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

100,000+miles or more in coach in one year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100,000+miles or more in coach in one year?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by 355F1
Damn....that's only 4 trips to JNB via LHR/AMS/CDG.

I did 3 in February alone.

I finished 2014 with about 170K BIS miles and most were in Y.

I'm insane as they were all MRs/mini vacations.
Wow, that's a lot of travel. I've never taken a mileage run, but more power to you if that's what you enjoy.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think my top was around 60k back in 86 when i lived in Belgium and was much younger and easier on the bones and probably half of those I ended up with a Y class bed having 4 across to myself to sleep on (even though it was People's Express and what-not).

Heck, of my 1.3M lifetime on DL, I'm probably close to 1.2M sitting up front.

I've been spoiled to say the least, but it helped that I was able to schedule my flights based around getting upgraded and leaving from BUF virtually guaranteed sitting upfront for at least 1/2 of my flights.

It's all about the game and how you play it.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Wow, that's a lot of travel. I've never taken a mileage run, but more power to you if that's what you enjoy.
Mileage runs are fun - especially when you get back on the same equipment, same seat, and same crew that you flew out on (DTW-LAS-DTW). Led to some crazy looks and questions by the crew. Just told them I heard bar in the LAS airport made the world's best Mai-Tai's so I flew out to sample one.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
My ex-wife, back when she worked as a drug rep in Texas (we lived in Dallas), would routinely make Exec Platinum on AA without ever leaving the state of Texas.
That's not only all coach flying, that's all RJ-135 flying on American Eagle.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by dzflyer
I have been blessed in life to fly in the front most of the time but I was wondering has anybody ever flown over a 100,000 miles or more in coach in one year? If so, did you need a chiropractor and/or psychologist at the end of the year? To me anybody who has flown coach that much in a yr is a true "road warrior".
To me the worst flights are the ones with the smaller planes DL seems to use for 1:30-2:30 hr flights, sometimes the seats are so uncomfortable that I need a chiropractor after the flight.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:27 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Exploerer
To me the worst flights are the ones with the smaller planes DL seems to use for 1:30-2:30 hr flights, sometimes the seats are so uncomfortable that I need a chiropractor after the flight.
ha +1 I just got off one of those, and if there is turbulence its even crazier!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Yes. I've been Diamond since Diamond was implemented and have always BOOKED coach seats. On occasion I've received the complimentary upgrade on domestic and have been lucky enough to have GUC's clear on long haul international flights.

But I'd guess 100K+ off my 125K per year has been in the back.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Had a project from summer 2013 to fall of 2014 that required me to travel to Orange County from my home city of Detroit. Always booked economy and usually had a redeye on the way home. I think I ended up with 150,000 MQMs in 2014 after 90,000 or so in 2013.

It was only really rough because of the redeyes. I got used to the extended time in air fairly quickly and just used it to watch TV and movies as I never spent time doing that during the work week or weekend while on that project.

Honestly for me the biggest hassle with traveling is getting to and from airport, security, and boarding. Being on a plane longer isn't a big deal.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Yeah it seems there must be a ton of Diamonds who do huge chunks of their MQMs in international Y.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:18 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by kylesuo
That's a ton if these are all leisure trips! How long are your turns? Do you make it a long weekend or head straight back?
I don't have to work a regular work schedule so I don't have "weekends." I pick whichever days I want to work every month so I usually turn the trips into 2-4 day min-vacations. I try to take one vacation per month to a foreign country.

I have only done ONE "true" MR.

Flew PHX-LAX-ATL-DXB in Y and 2 hours after landing @ DXB I flew home DXB-ATL-JFK-LAX-PHX but I used a GUC. With massive headwinds we were in the air for 16:55 ATL-DXB and I also got a new 75S JFK-LAX when they only had 2 planes remodeled back in 2013, or 2014.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To me anybody who has flown coach that much in a yr is a true "road warrior".
I did 85k in 2015, 111k in 2014, 111k in 2013, 71k in 2012, 100k in 2011, 137k in 2010. Mostly for fun, not work, though that's a fine line for me.

Premium cabin is nicer, obviously, but it was far from debilitating. Some of those were even middle seats across an ocean.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
I can't imagine that happening (not that it couldn't) unless the flights were heavy Medallion routes at the usual biz times, like a Transcon with L U T fares. But, over the time it takes to achieve 100K there would certainly be an UG, from an IRROP or a rerouting.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by pvn
Yeah it seems there must be a ton of Diamonds who do huge chunks of their MQMs in international Y.
I have done much of my Int'l in Y, but have been lucky in the last few years and have gotten the OPUP 40-50% of the time.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Ouch!
Im already past 100 MQS. And its only the end of July. And its all been domestic except for one jaunt across the pond. One of the hazards of living in a non hub.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Thats solid my friend. ^
Its the Transatlantic US HUB-MAN optionally via AMS or CDG and return that get that mileage in Y over the years. Just now and again I see a nice Z fare and go for it and of course the occasional OpUp but yes it can be "uncomfortable" shall we say. I do not think I can do it for much longer -even with 4 DL GUCs per annum. I should retire back to the UK -

BTW my longest flight in Y was a CO flight in 2006 MCI-IAH-EZE and return!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.