Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Have you tried this line of reasoning to get your cute kid into Disneyland/world for free? I'm sure Disney would have greater attendance at the park if kids were free.

Disney charges the same for kids as adults even though the kids are smaller.
Disney does have cheaper tickets for kids. But despite someone trying this line of thinking with the SkyClub, Disney is not going to let in your kid for free just because you have a season pass.

Also some amusement parks charge by height rather than age, such as Six Flags for "kids tickets", since height rather than age determines what rides one is eligible for. But as has been pointed out, each business and industry is different. Major sporting events generally charge the same ticket price regardless of age. The SkyClub is a case where a business decided to charge the same price, regardless of age. Regardless of whether people like it or not they have two options - 1) pay the $29 or get an executive membership or 2) wait at the gate. Life is about choices. Choices have consequences - postive, negative, and indifferent, big and small, intended and unintended, foreseen and unforeseen, etc, and it's not other people's job to make up for the consequences of other's actions and choices that they don't like and feel they don't need to accept.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Agreed - and I don't consider myself "anti-kid", but "parents"
This. I rather like most kids. It's the parents who either cannot or who are evidently uninterested in properly disciplining their children that are the problem. One think I notice every time I walk through an airport in the US is how unruly the kids are so often permitted to be, and I find myself thinking, "My father never would have put up with 10% of this nonsense out of me or my sisters."

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If parents want to and are willing to pay the $29 or have an Executive Membership then great. But this "I'm a super-special snow-flake and my kid is an even more super-special snowflake who deserves special exceptions because they're perfect in every way and won't bother anyone and won't eat much, if anything at all, because they have this allergy or aren't hungry" is just code for "I'm too cheap to shell out $29 so you NEED to make an exception to allow me and my kid in".
Everyone thinks there is an exception and everyone thinks it applies to them.

O/H
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
If you don't like the SkyClub policy, you are more than welcome to purchase a membership with another airline's club and/or fly their airline.
Sigh!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yogimax
Sigh!
That's probably the same reaction most SC agents have after dealing with whiney entitled parents who finally storm out after said pax feed them the old, tired lines of "but the last SC agent let my kids in for free. Why won't you let my kid in for free? After all, they won't drink booze and won't eat much. I'm a super loyal Delta Medallion blah blah blah".

Then again maybe they just become immune to it after a while and tune it out and start daydreaming about the next place they'll fly to in J as an NRSA.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
My wife and I are individual Reserve members. Our child is not. When we enter the SC, we immediately expect to let them charge our card the $29. There is never any expectation that they will let her in for free. With that being said, I don't think we have ever been charged the fee.

YMMV ATKOT
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
how the heck did this question turn into 8 pages?!?!?!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by thoiboi
What do you mean, your popcorn is finished?
Go get some more..
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by thoiboi
you must be new here
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:30 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yogimax
NOT TRUE!

Check your facts before posting.

Up to two years of age are free.

3-9 years are discounted.
I got into Disneyland by claiming I was over 60, it was only $15 US at Disney Hong Kong. You could save on the entrance fee and your kid would get free access to an airport lounge if you are a GM or higher. Two guests

Win, win for you and your grandkid.

Last edited by puddinhead; Aug 18, 2016 at 8:35 pm
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
This is arguably becoming one of my favorite threads ever on FT, lets not let this thread die off.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:43 am

I can certainly see how this thread is entertaining, but I do think it raises some interesting questions.

Not whether one likes kids or does not like kids, but does a fee make sense? Should there be a exception for X (maybe small children?)

I truly have no idea, not having children myself, I have no dog in the fight, but that does not mean I cannot see both sides of the issue and imho both sides have merit.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 6:47 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There already is an exception for children under 2 years old.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by kmersh
I can certainly see how this thread is entertaining, but I do think it raises some interesting questions.

Not whether one likes kids or does not like kids, but does a fee make sense? Should there be a exception for X (maybe small children?)

I truly have no idea, not having children myself, I have no dog in the fight, but that does not mean I cannot see both sides of the issue and imho both sides have merit.
I think the fee makes a lot of sense. Delta used to allow the member or card holder and either two adults or one adult and their children under 18 in for free.

Since they made this change it's cut down on crowding a lot and the food offerings have improved a lot.

American and United only allow their members in their club now and stopped allowing Am Ex swipes a couple years ago so I don't know why the Am Ex people are upset they can't bring their kids in anymore, at least they still get in free at Skyclubs unlike at United and American lounges.

I think it would make sense to give individual skyclub members the ability to guest in x number of people total a year. With the old rules I thought it was unfair Mike Brady could guest in Carol and his six kids and if I was travelling with three clients could only guest in two for free.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Aug 19, 2016 at 9:44 am
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:05 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I think it would make sense to give individual skyclub members the ability to guest in x number of people total a year.
+1. Use them as you will for colleagues or children, but when you run out it's $29 pp entry fee with no exceptions.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
+1. Use them as you will for colleagues or children, but when you run out it's $29 pp entry fee with no exceptions.
That's an interesting thought. Oddly, as the OP, I would only need one a year since both my wife and I have access and this was a special trip with our still-cute grandson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.