Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Sky Clubs Ever Let in Cute 7 Year Olds for Free?

Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold

My wife and I are taking our seven year old grandson to Orlando next month. We both have the Delta Reserve Card which admits the holder.

If we want to use the Sky Club, I believe we would have to pay $29 for the seven year old. Well, he's not going to eat or drink more than a dollar's worth.

Thus, my question... do the folks guarding the doors ever look the other way for one seven year old?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Have you seen this wonderful thread with 173 posts?!?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...erks-much.html

Here'z the OP:

Originally Posted by Harlem
My wife and I are flying with our 4 small kids. We have 6 paid tickets in F. We show up to the SkyClub and were denied access for our kids. Between my wife and I we had 2 Plat Amex cards and 4 Delta Reserve cards.

Employee says the kids need their own cards. I explain that my daughter is 2 years old and it's unreasonable to expect her to have a card in her name, that I have over 500k MQM - can't she make an exception. No dice...

If I'm going to be treated like I'm flying any other airline, what good is a "loyalty program."

Flame away....
Originally Posted by yogimax
Well, he's not going to eat or drink more than a dollar's worth.
Here'za later quote from the OP of that post:

Originally Posted by Harlem
We had 15 minutes before we boarded. I just wanted the kids to get a cookie, go to the bathroom, and be gone.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Although the short answer to the OP's question is "no", I don't think it's unreasonable to ask on FT.

The admission rules aren't simple. I bet Alaska flyers are surprised to learn domestic first class does not get one into a Skyclub.

Last week, my Plat wife was initially denied entry at the JFK Skyclub with her Plat card + Caribbean first-class boarding pass (to SDQ). She dug out her arriving Delta One boarding pass from LAX, so it was OK then. But still, who knew? Canada and Mexico are OK, but not Dominican Republic?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
.. do the folks guarding the doors ever look the other way for one seven year old?
Depends. If you don't mind likely being told "no", then go for it. But I would't try a New York Skyclub. Maybe an empty one like PDX?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Thus, my question... do the folks guarding the doors ever look the other way for one seven year old?
I hope not. I will not be able to get my SO into an ATL SC - I am DM 2MM with a PT AMEX - on a trip this week unless I pay for her and I expect others to follow the rules.

BTW, neither my SO or I drink alcohol and I doubt my SO would eat anything in the SC so its not worth $29.

In any event, I think the link by Dave in post #2 qualifies for closing or moving this thread.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:46 pm

I have seen it go both ways, sometimes the SkyClub emoloyees stick the rules exactly as they are written and sometimes they make exceptions.

Just recently I saw a SkyClub employee allow in for free a child with Downs Syndrome and the same day at a different SkyClub at the same airport, I saw an employee stick to the rules and require the $29 payment for a approximately 5 year old child.

Ask, worse they can say is No.

Plus if you are taking the kid to Disney, $29 for his SkyClub access might the smallest purchase you will make that week.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: none
Maybe, but only if you play the DYKWIA card
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Do you by chance have a DeLorean with a flux capacitor?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:26 pm

Is he cute enough to spend $29 on?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:31 pm

Yes, though hard to count on it.

Originally Posted by Allan38103
... only if you play the DYKWIA card
Not true. I have been proactively offered free access for a 13-year-old.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:36 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by davie355

Not true. I have been proactively offered free access for a 13-year-old.
maybe they already KWYA
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I am curious if they would let a "not cute" 7 year-old into the club.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:27 pm

Most of the time I am being charged for my kids, but there were two times this year where when I was not.

Once I was proactively offered free access with an explanation that my daughter, who certainly falls into a cute category, does not drink alcohol (I would hope so ). Another time my husband and I were in a sky club, while our son (> 18 year old) and our daughter were waiting at the gate. Our flight was severely delayed and my husband went to get our children (we originally planned to stay less than an hour and did not feel like paying $58 for them). The kids were waived through, even though originally, when my husband was heading out to get them, we were told we would have to pay.

The bottom line is that sometime it happens, but you cannot rely on it to happen.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I should hope not... it isn't a 'kids eat free' place like Denny's. It's supposed to be a business environment (yeah I know, it isn't always), children aren't prohibited but they shouldn't let them all in for free either.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I should hope not... it isn't a 'kids eat free' place like Denny's. It's supposed to be a business environment (yeah I know, it isn't always), children aren't prohibited but they shouldn't let them all in for free either.
I agree with the above 100%.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.