Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any DFW based Delta loyals?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any DFW based Delta loyals?

Starting to explore options... AA is all I've known, how hard/frustrating is it to fly Delta out of DFW regularly? Looking for experiences/thoughts...might not even be a big deal for all I know.

I spend most my time flying to either Northeast, a little west coast, and Houston pretty often (this might be the kicker)
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Where do you mostly fly to? Do you mind having to connect when flying to a non-hub city?

You can get to every domestic DL hub out of DFW, except for SEA and BOS. You'll have to deal with a lot of regional jets though, even to LGA and JFK.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 16, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Where do you mostly fly to? Do you mind having to connect when flying to a non-hub city?

You can get to every domestic DL hub out of DFW, except for SEA and BOS. You'll have to deal with a lot of regional jets though, even to LGA and JFK.
ROC (which requires a connection on AA anyway, but you can avoid RJ's via CLT, and ORD is easiest time wise), NYC (I know it'll be a RJ on DL), LAX, and HOU/IAH.

I don't hate connecting, but like most, prefer direct. It avoids bigger problems especially in winter. In summer I'll do it. If it helps me get status faster, I don't mind it at all.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Go www.flightstats.com to see where you could fly Delta non-stop from DFW yesterday. (Weekday schedules tends to be a little more robust.)

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...tusByFlight.do

You can click on any flight to see the aircraft used. You're going to find about 45 DL flights vs. about 760 AA flights, both before code shares.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Go www.flightstats.com to see where you could fly Delta non-stop from DFW yesterday. (Weekday schedules tends to be a little more robust.)

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...tusByFlight.do

You can click on any flight to see the aircraft used. You're going to find about 45 DL flights vs. about 760 AA flights, both before code shares.
Thanks- was just looking at this.

More so interested in people's experience with service out of DFW, the negatives/positives of being a non hub elite beyond having to connect/limited flight times.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm in DFW and still loyal to Delta (started flying seriously around 2007 when I lived in Atlanta, lived in Charleston and then moved to Dallas three years ago). I did have AA match my status when I first moved here, but just couldn't stay away from Delta.

As far as experience out of the Dallas area, I like having options out of DAL and DFW on Delta. I think the only flight from Love field is the flight to Atlanta, but I don't mind connecting through there. It's nice to have predictability at DFW - all Delta flights are served from terminal E, so I can park in that lot and get right to my car upon returning home. The Sky Club is also decent, and the staff is very friendly at DFW.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by shgroamer
Thanks- was just looking at this.

More so interested in people's experience with service out of DFW, the negatives/positives of being a non hub elite beyond having to connect/limited flight times.
You can pretty much fly anywhere as long as you don't mind a connection, plus there's the DAL-ATL flight if DAL works better for you. The big reason I stick with Delta is reliability.

With respect to hubs for connections, I'm a big fan of DTW. If you do a lot of travel to the northeast, routing via DTW is likely a good bet. However, ATL offers more flights and destinations. Despite its size, connections are simple and ATL airfield operations are efficient.

Since you mention Houston, have you considered using WN for the DAL-HOU hop?

As far as the DL station at DFW, staff is great, all flights operate from E, plus you have a SkyClub.

On another note, and I realize this doesn't help you, but once upon a time DFW was a large hub for Delta. Have a lot of great DFW memories including L1011's and other widebodies on US domestic routes.

Give DL a try, it won't hurt, and will provide you with the experience to make the best choice.

SDF
Old Jul 17, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I think DL could work for you except for Houston (but you could always ride Southwest for your Houston trips)
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Appreciate the info.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:41 am

I don't fly out of DFW, but I do fly in often, because most of my family is there. I love it - short walks between parking, ticketing, baggage claim, and gates; and a SkyClub notwithstanding the relatively small number of Delta gates. Fwiw, I was seated next to a DFW-based Delta pilot on a flight last week (he was commuting to Atlanta for work), and he explained that DFW was formerly a quasi-hub for Delta (Northwest?), and that although passenger traffic is not huge, it is loyal and very high-value.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProfRB
I don't fly out of DFW, but I do fly in often, because most of my family is there. I love it - short walks between parking, ticketing, baggage claim, and gates; and a SkyClub notwithstanding the relatively small number of Delta gates. Fwiw, I was seated next to a DFW-based Delta pilot on a flight last week (he was commuting to Atlanta for work), and he explained that DFW was formerly a quasi-hub for Delta (Northwest?), and that although passenger traffic is not huge, it is loyal and very high-value.
Former Delta hub - closed back in 2005.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...elta-dfw_x.htm
http://www.departedflights.com/DLDFWhub.html

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 22, 2016 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Also if note, is while DL has much less IRROPS, DL can't rebook you into an AA flight. DL/AA stopped interline ticketing last September.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Makes sense...my best friend's father is a long time Delta pilot DFW based (he mostly flies 767's to Europe)...and says the same thing. Maybe same guy! ^
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Just moved to DFW from CLE. I picked up flying UA as well as DL for extra options (IAH, DEN, ORD), but regretting UA as my backup. If you will maintain EXP on AA this year, maybe do a status challenge to DL Plat so you have options next year. If you like Delta, and it's working for you, stick with them and drop lower on AA.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
You said you go to the Northeast a lot, so if you don't mind RJ's there are a few non-stops into JFK and LGA. (If by NE you mean NYC) Non-stop West Coast flights would be to LAX. Otherwise you'd have to connect. Sometimes I've seen the occasional 757 on the ATL-DFW route too. Not sure if they're still doing it though. And I second the ease of going out of terminal E. You won't have to worry about leaving your car at one terminal and arriving in another if you had taken AA.

I remember the days when Delta had the entire Terminal E to itself, including the satellite. Can't believe its been 11 years now since they de-hubbed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.