Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX Red Coat wants more $ for confirmed pax with BP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Red Coat wants more $ for confirmed pax with BP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Call me silly, but I think a nifty IRROPS "enhancement" is coming our way. Really, really want to get home? Pay up.
Even the fools at the DOT couldn't ignore something like that. Delta isn't that daft.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Smile

Originally Posted by Zorak
It's been almost 6 hours... I hope bubba is ok
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWads
Even the fools at the DOT couldn't ignore something like that. Delta isn't that daft.
IIRC there are some DOT rules about airlines not being allowed to charge more for involuntary rebookings, even in a higher cabin class, but I don't know the fine print. DL reissued the ticket (presumably for both segments) and issued boarding passes, so the OP had a proper ticket and reservation for the flights.

Tickets are reissued, including for SDCs, all the time between domestic business class fare codes and domestic FC fare codes, so I wouldn't expect D1 to make a difference in the rules here. Plus, I can't imagine how a one way D1 flight would cost $2500 more than a domestic F0 fare, assuming that the OP didn't have a through fare from SIN, although that presumaly would have been a FULL J/C fare if the domestic segments booked into F.

In addition to looking at the DL CoC and reading DOT regulations, the OP should examine the fare construction on his/her ticket and try to see how the $2500 (was it such an even number? if so, it sounds made up) was calculated. I'd stress to DL that the final segment was part of a very expensive TPAC itinerary.

I'd also stress this to DL in describing the attempted eviction from the LAX SC as well as the OP's DM (and therefore SC membership) status, which should have been indicated on all boarding passes.

ADDED: Please ignore some of the above. I had the impression that the OP was connecting from SIN but now I see that that itinerary was speculation by someone else.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. . . . . the attempted eviction from the LAX SC as well as the OP's DM (and therefore SC membership) status, which should have been indicated on all boarding passes.
As crazy as 99% of this story sounds, this (the above quote) is the part that makes THE LEAST sense..
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:30 pm

wow - terrible customer service. I would definitely escalate with DL corporate and I would try to find the name of the LAX GM or VP if they have one and send an email to the VP of Airport Customer Service at corporate with CC to LAX GM and explain the scenario and the fact that this particular employee seems to have a history of poor customer service. DOT should also be contacted if indedd DL reissued your ticket and then tried to collect additional funds.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Thumbs up

Every Delta Redcoat I have ever met has been USELESS. I call a contact at a SkyClub (who gave me their cell#), or I call a person in ATL I know. The Redcoats are just like their British namesakes from 1776--useless and complicating.

Just my experience, but YMMV. In DFW, there is one particular SkyClub rep who is not only a gentleman, but will actively and aggressively pursue changes for you on your behalf. Too bad the ATL reps can't measure up. The agent has not only been able to re-route me on IRROPS to keep my FC intact, he has been able to upgrade me when the Diamond line failed to do anything.

In-person is always preferable. Very nice man and very experienced--knows where the bodies are buried and not afraid to point out to Delta where it's failed.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by pharmalady
Just my experience, but YMMV. In DFW, there is one particular SkyClub rep who is not only a gentleman, but will actively and aggressively pursue changes for you on your behalf. Too bad the ATL reps can't measure up. The agent has not only been able to re-route me on IRROPS to keep my FC intact, he has been able to upgrade me when the Diamond line failed to do anything.

In-person is always preferable. Very nice man and very experienced--knows where the bodies are buried and not afraid to point out to Delta where it's failed.
Does he have a shaved head and glasses? If so he is pretty nice and offered me a meal voucher on a domestic F itinerary when my connection was delayed. Never had that happen before!
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
+1MM. Hit it right on the head. She remembers you and was trying to get back at ya.

LAX Skyclub is the place I've had more problems with than any other one in the system, even being told that a RUC wouldn't move me up in the upgrade queue and arguing with me about how he knew how the upgrades worked. Flat out refused to attach it to the account. One call to the DM line and BAM, was #2 (for 2) and got the upgrade.
I've had problems with Delta staff at LAX many times including in the skyclub. Very rude.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
So, OP, any hints on spotting the problem redcoat so that savvy FTers can steer clear?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by angra
So, OP, any hints on spotting the problem redcoat so that savvy FTers can steer clear?
I'd almost want to seek this redcoat out and hope I'm given a hard time. This person should not have a job, and more negative reports would hopefully force DL to terminate.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's an elderly female Redcoat at MSP who's horrible. She thinks she knows everything and cannot be wrong, even when TIMATIC says otherwise.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's an elderly female Redcoat at MSP who's horrible. She thinks she knows everything and cannot be wrong, even when TIMATIC says otherwise.
"Sir, your American passport needs a visa for Japan"
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
No input from the holy trinity on this matter? Shocking.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I have documented everything. The receipt from DL showing ticket number, flight numbers, etc. Of course I kept the BP, which she kept trying to take from me.

Since I live closer to SAT she did me a "favor" and put me on LAX-SAT. Of course it's delayed two hours. I would have not misconnected, and would be in earlier if I had gone through JFK. Now I sit here hoping the SAT flight has a crew that's legal for the flight. I've gotten to spend more hours in the Skyclub then should be legal. BTW Tried to have me kicked out of Skyclub since not flying to JFK! SC manager said she'd make an exception and allow me to stay. Didn't bother to point out that I have SC membership!
Should have let her kick you out.

Then walk right back in with your membership card and see how apologetic people get.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Dennis88
This is an incredible story and I am really curious how and if DL will solve this.

It got me thinking though how D1 on JFK-LAX and other routes has changed things. In January of 2015 I was booked in Y on JFK-SLC-SMF and used a FCM offer to upgrade to first. A few weeks later one of the flights was changed causing a misconnect. I called (as a regular Skymiles member at the time) and asked if I could be put on JFK-LAX-SMF. This was no problem at all, and I enjoyed what I would consider D1 service on the JFK-LAX flight (and a rejected takeoff on the LAX-SMF flight, but that's another story). I presume that since it is now labeled D1 this would no longer be possible, right? I don't seem to recall when DL implement the change from FC to D1 on the JFK-LAX route.
It was still possible last time I checked (though the rules for SDC are changing to not allow D1 flights on purchased F fares). However, the change not being voluntary on your part (Delta changed their schedules, you didn't) means it might still be possible if you're polite enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.