Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
imo *extremely* tacky on the part of the FA ... to say nothing of just plain lazy; it wouldn't have taken more than 10-15 seconds to grab a glass or plastic cup, ask if she wants ice, put ice in glass/cup if she says "yes", fill with water, and hand it to her

(not knowing daughter's age, FA may have been channeling a few regular DL FT posters ... "kids don't belong in D1 under *ANY* circumstances!")
Old Nov 19, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
What happened, No different than having an unopened can of Coke on tray and saying I want a Coke. I'd expect the FA to point out the can on my tray.
That would be just as ridiculous for several reasons. First of all, keep in mind my daughter (nine years-old since someone had asked) had put it away in a bin for later consumption (she's actually polished off three of them now), so I don't accept it's the same as if she had the drink she had requested sitting on her tray already. Second, even if we accept a scenario where Delta provided that can of Coke in your example earlier in the flight in the first place, the FA should still offer to provide a glass and ice (if that was a Coke brought on the flight by the passenger, the example becomes completely incomparable IMO).

I suppose this discussion is just acknowledgement of how little some have come to expect in terms of service levels, even in Delta's most premium product.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Beckles
That would be just as ridiculous for several reasons. First of all, keep in mind my daughter (nine years-old since someone had asked) had put it away in a bin for later consumption (she's actually polished off three of them now), so I don't accept it's the same as if she had the drink she had requested sitting on her tray already. Second, even if we accept a scenario where Delta provided that can of Coke in your example earlier in the flight in the first place, the FA should still offer to provide a glass and ice (if that was a Coke brought on the flight by the passenger, the example becomes completely incomparable IMO).

I suppose this discussion is just acknowledgement of how little some have come to expect in terms of service levels, even in Delta's most premium product.
What? Nowadays most airlines (even premium airlines) offer water via bottle and don't give a glass unless requested. If your daughter had asked for a glass one would have happily been provided. I flew AF F this summer, asked for water. Guess what I got? A bottle of water, no glass.

Your daughter got exactly what she wanted. I'm not sure how that's providing bad service. She had an unopened bottle of water and asked for water. They only have so many bottles, and those must cover everyone. Thus it's not appropriate to be giving out bottles when passenger hasn't even opened the one they have. Under your logic you can keep asking for another bottle despite having multiple unopened bottles already.

Maybe the FA should ask if want a glass for your water. However when in a plastic bottle most drink directly from it. I'm betting that your daughter did that for her other bottles as well.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
What? Nowadays most airlines (even premium airlines) offer water via bottle and don't give a glass unless requested. If your daughter had asked for a glass one would have happily been provided.
I stand by both my earlier comments, and I'm not at all sure you're in a position to speculate on how the FA would have responded

Your daughter got exactly what she wanted. I'm not sure how that's providing bad service. She had an unopened bottle of water and asked for water. They only have so many bottles, and those must cover everyone. Thus, it's not appropriate to be giving out bottles when passenger hasn't even opened the one they have.
true, but I think OP's complaint is about FA demeanor/attitude than anything else ... I'd also suggest that a nine-year-old may not be aware of those limitations when asking for water

Under your logic you can keep asking for another bottle despite having multiple unopened bottles already.
true, but basically irrelevant

Maybe the FA should ask if want a glass for your water.
yep, that would have been appropriate, *especially* given that the FA removed the original bottle from OP's daughter's seat pocket

I'm betting that your daughter did that for her other bottles as well.
completely irrelevant
Old Nov 19, 2021, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would object to the FA reaching into the daughter's back seat pocket and grabbing something. It's the daughter's space for her personal possessions, and the bottle of water that was placed at the seat before boarding is the daughter's property. Moreover, what if the FA had, for example, knocked a cell phone that had been in the seat pocket to the floor and the phone had been damaged?

If the daughter had instead placed the water bottle into a purse or backpack to save it for later, would it be OK for the FA to dig into daughter's purse or backpack to retrieve it and hand it to daughter?

Offering ice and a glass with the water would have been gracious and what I would expect for DL service in FC.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 5:06 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Will this flight ever end?

So, the pre-arrival meal, the beverage carts had 1 liter bottles of water and when I asked simply for a 'water' I was asked if I wanted ice, then poured a glass of water, this is from a different flight attendant since we're on different aisles.

Speculation that all water is served in individual bottles is not accurate on this flight. The FA was out of line, my daughter had the single bottle of water in her literature pocket, when she asked for water the only thing the FA should have done is asked if she would like ice with that or not.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
LoL I know this is a Rant thread but gosh... There are people in our world who would love to have a bottle of water. Not trying to turn this into an OMNI thread but gosh. It's WATER!! Take it in any form you can get it.

Edit to Add: As long as you are not drinking it boiled..
Old Nov 20, 2021, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would object to the FA reaching into the daughter's back seat pocket and grabbing something. It's the daughter's space for her personal possessions, and the bottle of water that was placed at the seat before boarding is the daughter's property. Moreover, what if the FA had, for example, knocked a cell phone that had been in the seat pocket to the floor and the phone had been damaged?

If the daughter had instead placed the water bottle into a purse or backpack to save it for later, would it be OK for the FA to dig into daughter's purse or backpack to retrieve it and hand it to daughter?

Offering ice and a glass with the water would have been gracious and what I would expect for DL service in FC.
Unlike bottle in seat pocket (which not sure what exactly this is - lots of places can be described as seat pocket) which is clearly visible, anything in purse isn't.

Again there's limited number of bottles/drinks.. Till you finish one it's not appropriate to ask for another. If you really want more that one simply hide the one you've already been given. However its inappropriate for FA to hand out multiple of limited supply item when passenger hasn't even started the one they have.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unlike bottle in seat pocket (which not sure what exactly this is - lots of places can be described as seat pocket) which is clearly visible, anything in purse isn't.

Again there's limited number of bottles/drinks.. Till you finish one it's not appropriate to ask for another. If you really want more that one simply hide the one you've already been given. However its inappropriate for FA to hand out multiple of limited supply item when passenger hasn't even started the one they have.
procedurally, yes

OP has raised this from a customer service perspective (*especially* with respect to a nine-year-old), as it’s *far more* inappropriate to “(pull) out the bottle of water from her literature pocket and (plop) it on her tray table”

it’s about the “how” rather than the “what” or the “why”; OP has a valid complaint about the FA’s actions (and perhaps demeanor), and imo would be entirely justified to bring it to DL’s attention
strickerj and Return2flight like this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Oh to have limes and lemons again for drinks.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
No one has asked if there was a reason why the child wasn't drinking the water they already had. Did they forget about it or were they saving it for sentimentality or another reason?

FA could have simply asked that if there was truly a water shortage, or provided another water if there was no issue.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No different then going to an AYCE buffet where they serve you. You don't get to ask for all of one item at one time. You get a serving and then when done with it get another.

Under logic some have it's ok to demand the entire stock of say Woodford at one time. I can only imagine the screams if FA went ok here you go, when asked. No one else gets any, even if you don't finish all of them.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I can understand wanting to save the bottled water for later so you don't have to get up to find the FA or ring the call button. I usually do get alcohol or soda during service, but have never been given attitude about getting additional ice water to have with the meal, and don't think it's an unreasonable request.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
I can understand wanting to save the bottled water for later so you don't have to get up to find the FA or ring the call button. I usually do get alcohol or soda during service, but have never been given attitude about getting additional ice water to have with the meal, and don't think it's an unreasonable request.
Sometimes you want cold (ice) water or water in a glass. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to save all or part of a little bottle of water for when you'll be standing in line (for example, at immigration and customs) upon arrival or waiting/using public transportation, etc. I normally try to leave a plane with some water because it might not be easy to find some to buy or to find a water fountain.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If the bottles, once distributed, can't be returned to stock, it makes sense to me to try to get them drunk before pouring other water. But that's the world I inhabit, not the World of D1.

In the World of D1, the little bottles are insulting and totally out of place. Most of them are just filtered municipal tap water. In D1, the FA should offer a menu of premium bottled waters - Perrier, Vichy, Fiji, Calistoga, Saratoga, Poland Spring - from which to choose. And the water should be poured into cut glass and served on a silver tray.

BTW, Saratoga water contains a measurable amount of lithium, which might be helpful if this sort of thing bothers you.
hhdl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.