Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta Global Upgrade (GUC) with KLM Consolidated

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2023, 6:25 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
If they say no HUCA.
He came back after 15 minutes and told me he would have to eat some crow ... so at least there's some good news there.

Now I'm on hold for the International Desk, 'cause. Estimated time 1hr.

We might get this done before those two seats go away. And maybe not.

UPDATE: it got done. Do I understand why I paid the amount I paid for the ticket, within a few hundred dollars? I do not , but that's another story.

Last edited by kthomas; May 9, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Old Jun 6, 2023, 1:51 pm

Can someone with EF subscription help check Delta GUC availability for this following KLM flight?

IAD-TPE (roundtrip)
Tuesday July 25, 2023
KL 652, KL 845, KL 845

Sunday Aug 6rh, 2023
KL 846, KL 846, KL 651

Thanks!
Old Jun 6, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chunmin
Can someone with EF subscription help check Delta GUC availability for this following KLM flight?

IAD-TPE (roundtrip)
Tuesday July 25, 2023
KL 652, KL 845, KL 845

Sunday Aug 6rh, 2023
KL 846, KL 846, KL 651

Thanks!
Z8 on the outbound and Z0 on the return
Old Jun 6, 2023, 2:18 pm

Thank you Utskicat
If you can check the Thursday Aug 10th return? really thank you for your help!
Old Jun 6, 2023, 3:35 pm

Thank you Utskicat
If you can check the Thursday Aug 10th return? really thank you for your help!
Yer in luck!!! 10th has Z3 married.
ebayj and chunmin like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 4:50 am

Per the GUC upgrade rules, Fare code of NN1J16M6 mean its a N class fare thus not eligible for GUC upgrade correct?
Old Jun 7, 2023, 6:29 am

Per the GUC upgrade rules, Fare code of NN1J16M6 mean its a N class fare thus not eligible for GUC upgrade correct?
depends which airline. KLM, any economy fare including N works. For DL VS AF you need premium economy.
chunmin likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Utskicat
depends which airline. KLM, any economy fare including N works. For DL VS AF you need premium economy.
This isn't true. Fare basis has nothing to do with GUC usability. The 1st letter in it, is normally the booking class, but not always.

Each airline has their own fare basises. Both DL and KL could have each a NN1J16M6 fare basis. They could each book into different booking fare classes.

What matters is
  1. The marketing carrier of the flight. (Ie is booked as DL8100 or KL667)
  2. The fare class booked into.
If booked as DL marketed, any fare class except E can be upgraded to Business on KLM. Purchase of Premium Economy is
NOT CURRENTLY required. (This will eventually change once KLM completes rollout of PE across fleet)

If booked as KLM marketed, must be in V class or higher. ( Y B M K H L Q T N R V or any PE fare class) Again purchase of PE is not currently required for KLM operated flights.
kthomas, chunmin and Pocatello like this.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 7, 2023 at 12:45 pm
Old Jun 7, 2023, 3:25 pm

it is KLM marketed fare with the 074 code.

I'm definitely going through the HUCA process
1st call, the agent said I need B M class to use, which is not correct per the TOC of the GUC and also mentioned by you guys.
2nd call, apparently I can only upgrade IAD-AMS leg (and return) but not the AMS-TPE leg.
3rd call, agent said first because it is a 074 ticket, there isn't anything she can do. I corrected her and then she said oh AF KLM KE, GUC only clears 24 hours before travel. LOL.

I guess I will try a 4th call soon. At least it's progressing a little better?

Last edited by chunmin; Jun 7, 2023 at 9:16 pm Reason: update
Old Jun 9, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
I need advice if I did this GUC & KLM stuff correctly. Travel is to Kuala Lumpur from Los Angeles.

I called Delta to book travel with KLM from LAX-AMS-KUL. I paid for an economy ticket which was about $2,000 during the telephone call with the Delta CSR. The CSR says the application of the GUCs was successful and I was sent an itinerary from Delta showing business class. I can change seats within business class on Delta.(com).

I used one GUC in each direction for myself. This is what my receipt currently shows:
Outbound:
KL 602 | ARPT Z
KL 809 | ARPT Z
Return:
KL 810 | ARPT Z
KL 601 | ARPT Z

The ticket number begins with 006. All four flights are KLM, of course.

I now have 2 "closed GUCs" in my Delta account.

Did this work? I don't have much experience with Delta's GUCs and RUCs. Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Pocatello
I need advice if I did this GUC & KLM stuff correctly. Travel is to Kuala Lumpur from Los Angeles.

I called Delta to book travel with KLM from LAX-AMS-KUL. I paid for an economy ticket which was about $2,000 during the telephone call with the Delta CSR. The CSR says the application of the GUCs was successful and I was sent an itinerary from Delta showing business class. I can change seats within business class on Delta.(com).

I used one GUC in each direction for myself. This is what my receipt currently shows:
Outbound:
KL 602 | ARPT Z
KL 809 | ARPT Z
Return:
KL 810 | ARPT Z
KL 601 | ARPT Z

Yes perfect!
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pocatello

Outbound:
KL 602 | ARPT Z
KL 809 | ARPT Z
Return:
KL 810 | ARPT Z
KL 601 | ARPT Z

perfectly! Congrats
ebayj and Pocatello like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Just had an EF alert trigger for Z (currently showing Z5) on an SFO-AMS-ZAG trip. Called up and got a very competent agent who worked with the international desk but reported that there was no upgrade space available.

I plan to HUCA later today but was wondering are there ever cases where KLM has Z space on EF but DL is unable to see confirmable space for globals that is not due to agent error?

Interestingly SFO-AMS is Z0 while SFO-AMS-ZAG is Z5. I recall some posts about Z1 and Z2 sometimes being phantom availability as far as GUCs are concerned but couldn't locate them in my search this morning.

Last edited by JAeX; Jun 12, 2023 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JAeX
Just had an EF alert trigger for Z (currently showing Z5) on an SFO-AMS-ZAG trip. Called up and got a very competent agent who worked with the international desk but reported that there was no upgrade space available.

I plan to HUCA later today but was wondering are there ever cases where KLM has Z space on EF but DL is unable to see confirmable space for globals that is not due to agent error?

Interestingly SFO-AMS is Z0 while SFO-AMS-ZAG is Z5. I recall some posts about Z1 and Z2 sometimes being phantom availability as far as GUCs are concerned but couldn't locate them in my search this morning.
I would call back. I've been told no space, called back and agent got it ckeared in minutes.
ebayj likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I would call back. I've been told no space, called back and agent got it ckeared in minutes.
4 HUCAs deep and tried messaging once. A few where blatantly wrong while the remaining agents all said AMS-ZAG has space (EF shows Z8) while SFO-AMS has no upgrade space (EF shows Z0). I inquired about married segment and reiterated I see SFO-ZAG as Z5 but no dice.

I really hate how agent dependent this whole process is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.