Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When does a GUC change from OPEN to CLOSED?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

On re-issue? After flown?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
IME (for RUC), upon reissue.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
As soon as it gets used against a ticket/that ticket gets reissued it is closed. But I find the website usually takes some days after being flown to show the new status of the GUC in my experience.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Slightly unrelated, but I had a failed RUC just completely disappear from my DL.com account. Called in and agent couldn't find it via my SM#, but once I gave her the cert # (thankfully I took a screenshot of that page after requesting my Choice Benefits) she was able to look it up and saw it was still showing open.

So, yay, I'll apply it to some random trip I have coming up this month or next, but if it's no longer tied to my SM account, I wonder if I can apply it to a flight for Mrs. Lee or something instead?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Slightly unrelated, but I had a failed RUC just completely disappear from my DL.com account. Called in and agent couldn't find it via my SM#, but once I gave her the cert # (thankfully I took a screenshot of that page after requesting my Choice Benefits) she was able to look it up and saw it was still showing open.

So, yay, I'll apply it to some random trip I have coming up this month or next, but if it's no longer tied to my SM account, I wonder if I can apply it to a flight for Mrs. Lee or something instead?
Standard rules will apply. Must be used by you or someone traveling with you on the same itinerary. You must both use the same type of upgrade instrument. You can not apply it to someone else if you are not also using an RUC.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Ironic timing, I'm on the line with a DL agent right now who is trying to figure out why 3 of my RUC's show as closed when I haven't used any of them.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Standard rules will apply. Must be used by you or someone traveling with you on the same itinerary. You must both use the same type of upgrade instrument. You can not apply it to someone else if you are not also using an RUC.
I figured as much. I can always dream though, right?

If that's the case, looks like it'll get applied to some random ATL-TPA flight or something...oh well.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
i had a GUC clear maybe 3 weeks ago and the system finally got around to reissuing the ticket over the weekend. Imagine my surprise looking more closely at my account today to see that not one but two of my GUCs now show as closed, only one of which should have been attached to the itinerary in the first place (the other 3 are all waitlisted and I was very specific about which certs to use for which trips just to make sure there wouldn't be any mixups )

Phone agent called support desk and they said they'd reopen one of them and should be reflected within 24 hours. ^ for quick resolution if that occurs as promised but for the whole certificate process being a circus as documented across the various FT threads...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: Delta SM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
i had a GUC clear maybe 3 weeks ago and the system finally got around to reissuing the ticket over the weekend. Imagine my surprise looking more closely at my account today to see that not one but two of my GUCs now show as closed, only one of which should have been attached to the itinerary in the first place (the other 3 are all waitlisted and I was very specific about which certs to use for which trips just to make sure there wouldn't be any mixups )

Phone agent called support desk and they said they'd reopen one of them and should be reflected within 24 hours. ^ for quick resolution if that occurs as promised but for the whole certificate process being a circus as documented across the various FT threads...
Just had the same conversation.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:26 am

Same thing happened to me with RUCs two weeks ago. RUC-waitlisted 2 flights. One flight cleared at T-3weeks, second flight never cleared - no-one was upgraded on that flight. Two of my RUCs were closed, however. Took a supervisor and 24 hours to get the incorrectly closed cert back.

The DL RUC/GUC certificate procedure is horrible. Bad experience for customers (random and inconsistent process failures on the request side), and it must be expensive for DL to manually administer and then correct all of the process errors.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I forgot to add, today's agent, in figuring out what the previous agent might have done wrong, read off the last few digits of a cert number to me and I said "uh, I don't have any certs that end in those numbers" and eventually she figured out that the previous agent had fat-fingered a couple extra digits.

Mistakes happen, to err is human, etc. I don't have a problem with that. It seems incomprehensible though that these things get entered manually by agents, instead of click here, click there, click Apply, presto, two things are associated electronically without any manual typing of numbers needed. Even if you are constrained by an old CLI, you still program in a basic validation check that the cert being entered (a) exists in the customer's account (b) isn't already waitlisted on some other segment.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Completely agree with others here -- it's mind boggling how manual and error prone the GUC process seems to be.

One time an agent looked at one of my itinerary's with a GUC wait-listed and told me "there's no way this ever would have cleared the way the GUC was applied -- there are three separate steps the agent needs to complete and they didn't do all of them right."
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL PM
This reminds me.. I have one of my GUCs showing closed that I've never used.

Been meaning to call before I actually need to use it...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
What's even worse about this is that even if a cert number is attached to a reservation (waitlisted for an upgrade), when they reissue the ticket, whoever does it doesn't look at that cert number. They just grab whichever one from your Wallet they want. I've had this happen, and this led to several very long phone calls to get this fixed (and of course at first I was told that it couldn't be fixed). In this case they grabbed one that was expiring further into the future, rather than one expiring soon.

So I'm not sure it even makes any difference if a particular cert is "tied" to a particular reservation. I still try to do that though. But last week I wanted two RUCs tied to a certain reservation (there were 4 in the account, and 2 were already tied to another reservation waitlist), and the attitude I got about it was off the charts. I had calmly explained that though they would see four RUCs, two were already attached to another reservation (which you can't see just looking at the certs), the agent got annoyed about it, started telling me that isn't how the certs work, etc. I asked if she could tell me how they did work, as I always seem to be confused about it, and she wouldn't.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:32 pm

I forgot to add, today's agent, in figuring out what the previous agent might have done wrong, read off the last few digits of a cert number to me and I said "uh, I don't have any certs that end in those numbers" and eventually she figured out that the previous agent had fat-fingered a couple extra digits.

Mistakes happen, to err is human, etc. I don't have a problem with that. It seems incomprehensible though that these things get entered manually by agents, instead of click here, click there, click Apply, presto, two things are associated electronically without any manual typing of numbers needed. Even if you are constrained by an old CLI, you still program in a basic validation check that the cert being entered (a) exists in the customer's account (b) isn't already waitlisted on some other segment.
I completely agree that mistakes can happen. I don't blame people, I blame the process!

Since travel agents can submit requests for RUC/GUC upgrades, the travel agent instructions are included in the T&Cs for the cert.

Travel Agent Instructions: Confirm a qualifying Main Cabin Class fare and issue the Main Cabin e-ticket. End and retrieve the PNR and rebook in the applicable upgrade class. Tickets must be validated on Delta/006 ticket stock and the PNR must contain a Delta operated or marketed flight. If changing a previously upgraded flight - call Delta Reservations to reissue. The upgrade is applicable for the SkyMiles member and one companion traveling in the same PNR. Delta requires a minimum of two OSIs in the PNR. The first OSI advises what type of upgrade will be used and the second OSI provides the certificate information. If a customer is using more than one upgrade certificate, you must add an OSI remark for each one-way upgrade for each passenger in the PNR. Each OSI must be entered using the EXACT verbiage listed below - otherwise Delta will not receive the request. Only Delta can reissue an upgraded itinerary.

OSI DL REGIONAL UPGRADE

If flight is DL designated and you are using Amadeus: OS DL UPGD. 006065xxxxxxx 99999999X PU591 ORGDST
If flight is DL designated and you are using another GDS: OSI DL UPGD. 006065xxxxxxx 99999999X PU591 ORGDST

Note: 006065xxxxxxx is the Certificate Number, 99999999X is the Redemption Code, PU591 is the Reference Code, ORG is the origin of the first segment that is being upgraded, DST is the destination of the last segment that is being upgraded.

Once you send this request, you will receive an SSR OTHS from Delta within 2 business days with either the new ticket number or a reason the request was denied. If the request is denied, Delta will rebook the passenger into the original cabin. The standard agency commission will be based on actual fare collected.
And since this is only the travel agent instructions, there must be a series of additional steps that also have to happen on the DL side.

Seems amazing this convoluted error prone process actually works sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.