Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Upgrade Priority for GUC/RUC and Complimentary UG's

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Anybody know the answer to my question?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by micstatic
Anybody know the answer to my question?
Mileage upgrades don't goto the gate.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Mileage upgrades don't goto the gate.
thanks. I mean at the window not gate. Agent told me that mileage upgrades are higher than medallion upgraded
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Mileage upgrades come from a different bucket than medallion upgrades, so priority doesn't come in yet as they are not directly competing for the same seat.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by C W
There're no complimentary long-haul international upgrades.

Were you trying to use a GUC?
Yes of course I was using GUC... It was called into the Diamond desk... Like I said, for TPAC flights, they routinely move non-rev employees ahead of GUC of mileage up. I've seen it many times. The GA has a lot of discretion, more than we realize.

I fly in/out of LAX/SEA on TPAC frequently and the GA told me that if I really care, don't board. As they get towards the tailend of the boarding process, she is more worried about closing the door on-time then upgrade and which order. I've seen revenued but non-status customer with no seat assignment get D1 over Diamonds on op ups as well. This whole upgrade process is a mess. I am very likely to to return to United next year, at least they give you 6 GUC instead of DL's 4.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Mileage upgrades come from a different bucket than medallion upgrades, so priority doesn't come in yet as they are not directly competing for the same seat.
Do mileage upgrades come from the same bucket as RUC upgrades? I've searched and can't really find a definitive answer.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bretthexum
Do mileage upgrades come from the same bucket as RUC upgrades? I've searched and can't really find a definitive answer.
Yes, both come out of RY/OY.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...de-awards.html

At least a few people, including myself, have been told by the DM line that certs have higher priority than mileage upgrades, but I don't think that's ever been put into writing anywhere.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Yes, both come out of RY/OY.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tificates.html

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...de-awards.html

At least a few people, including myself, have been told by the DM line that certs have higher priority than mileage upgrades, but I don't think that's ever been put into writing anywhere.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The order is clearly not being enforced correctly by DL's wonky IT.

Anecdote: Me and a friend who is also DM are flying in separate PNRs a multi-leg journey. Friend applied RUC before 120 hour window opened. He cleared all segments into RY/OY except CVG-ATL.

Neither of us cleared CVG-ATL at the complimentary window, but about 100 hours before the flight, I magically cleared into RU while he was still in SU (despite having a certificate applied, and he would be higher than me on the UG list because of his DL Amex).

This is literally the exact opposite of the priority they published. My friend called the DM line and, despite 0 seats in RU or RY (and 3 seats left for sale in F), he let them have it and they cleared him into RY manually. Still messed up how wonky their IT is.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:44 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
This thread is incredibly misleading. Its 1.5 years old and the OP is completely wrong.

I dont generally support closing old threads, but this one really should be locked because its causing confusion and we have other threads to discuss upgrade certificate issues.

Anyway, the reason your complimentary UG cleared is that even within the window, up until the gate, complimentary and certificate upgrade space are different buckets. They opened comp and you cleared while there was no cert space for your friend. Not necessarily logical but previously reported on the board.

Last edited by C W; Nov 5, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by C W

Anyway, the reason your complimentary UG cleared is that even within the window, up until the gate, complimentary and certificate upgrade space are different buckets. They opened comp and you cleared while there was no cert space for your friend. Not necessarily logical but previously reported on the board.
Except their site lumps UGs together and says certificates clear before comps. Period. Please stop making excuses for bad IT. It is easy to program certificate superiority, even with more than 1 inventory bucket.

Also, RY and RU often seem linked. I had an ATL-XXX wirh 1 RY and 1 RU spot, 30 minutes before the 120 hour DM window. DM agent said if either 1 cleared - the other would disappear. This is exactly what happened.

I chanced it and cleared RU. As soon as I did, RY went to zero. How can that be if the two inventory buckets are mutually exclusive?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Except their site lumps UGs together and says certificates clear before comps. Period. Please stop making excuses for bad IT. It is easy to program certificate superiority, even with more than 1 inventory bucket.

Also, RY and RU often seem linked. I had an ATL-XXX wirh 1 RY and 1 RU spot, 30 minutes before the 120 hour DM window. DM agent said if either 1 cleared - the other would disappear. This is exactly what happened.

I chanced it and cleared RU. As soon as I did, RY went to zero. How can that be if the two inventory buckets are mutually exclusive?
To your latter question, it could be that they are not linked automatically/programmatically, in that there is not a rule that one of RY or RU is always equal to or can be calculated directly from knowing the other; however if you consider what they *represent* (a belief on RM's part that the seat will not sell for cold hard $$) then it makes sense that removing one, even if not intrinsically tied to the other, would nevertheless affect RM's willingness to keep the other one open.

In the case where RY == RU == 1 then I suppose essentially they behave as if they are linked, but that might not be true at higher numbers.

Obv this is just me speculating though.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:53 pm

The order is clearly not being enforced correctly by DL's wonky IT.

Anecdote: Me and a friend who is also DM are flying in separate PNRs a multi-leg journey. Friend applied RUC before 120 hour window opened. He cleared all segments into RY/OY except CVG-ATL.

Neither of us cleared CVG-ATL at the complimentary window, but about 100 hours before the flight, I magically cleared into RU while he was still in SU (despite having a certificate applied, and he would be higher than me on the UG list because of his DL Amex).

This is literally the exact opposite of the priority they published. My friend called the DM line and, despite 0 seats in RU or RY (and 3 seats left for sale in F), he let them have it and they cleared him into RY manually. Still messed up how wonky their IT is.
This happened to me over the summer. My dad (PM) on a completely separate PNR cleared AHEAD of me (DM with RUC). The comp space opened, the RUC didn't. Yeah that makes sense huh?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:19 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR

I'm not making excuses. I'm explaining why what happened happened. It's well reported here. Go complain to Delta if you don't like it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have the reserve card and I am towards the bottom of the list for a GUC upgrade for a flight today. Having the card doesn't seem to be influencing the list at all.

In this particular flight, I am booked at one of the cheap fare classes so that may be the reason I am towards the bottom.

For those with the reserve card, do you have an annotation on your delta.com account that you're a member?
I saw a screenshot several years back with that - but mine isn't showing currently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.