Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Orders 75 CS100's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by The Lev
If I were a betteing man, I'd say that in 10 years the Delta mainline single aisle fleet will be CS100, CS300, CS500 and A321.
Along with some 752, 753, 738, 739, 717, 319, and possibly MD90 and a small amount of 320s. Not including RJs.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
From Delta's perspective
  • They can use the aircraft to differentiate themselves in the market for years to come since competitors won't be able to get delivery slots for several years (quiet, comfortable, "green").
Not so sure about this, Republic has an order for uncommitted aircraft so there is certainly an opportunity for UA or AA, if they had any desire to do so, to get aircraft relatively soon. I doubt DL cares about this much honestly.
From the passenger's perspective
  • Wider seats than any other narrow body (pitch will be up to Delta)
The seats are not wider than the E190's they are not getting now, or any of the other modern Embraers.

• 2-3 configuration in Y is better than 3-3 and often better than 2-2
Certainly I agree it's better than 3-3, but not sure why you're trying to say it's better than the modern Embraers it competes against that are 2-2.
If I were a betteing man, I'd say that in 10 years the Delta mainline single aisle fleet will be CS100, CS300, CS500 and A321.
Shame you're not a betting man, I'd love to take that bet. It's highly unlikely that some of the more modern aircraft, especially the 737-900's still being delivered, will be gone in May 2026.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles

Certainly I agree it's better than 3-3, but not sure why you're trying to say it's better than the modern Embraers it competes against that are 2-2.
I'll take that one: An ~87% load factor could give everyone seated in a 3-bank an empty seat next to them. Window or aisle + empty seat adjacent is as good as it gets in regular coach anymore.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'll take that one: An ~87% load factor could give everyone seated in a 3-bank an empty seat next to them. Window or aisle + empty seat adjacent is as good as it gets in regular coach anymore.
Show your math please, although DL has not announced an exact configuration I don't buy your claim that only ~13% of seats will be middle seats, it will be more like 18% I suspect (that would be ~102 seats, 12 FC, ~90 coach). I think 2+2 with wider coach seats is better than 2+3, I understand the case you're making, but the reality is when domestic mainline load factor of paid passengers is 87% (which it was in 2015), there are going to be lots of occupied middle seats once you add in non-revs.

The CS will clearly have an advantage in that it's smallest aircraft is near the top of the Embraer range, but if we're just talking CS100 vs. (now cancelled) EMB-190, I would have preferred the EMB-190. I am not complaining about the CS at all, looks like it will be a very good aircraft ... just slightly less comfortable seating than the oh-so-generous EMB's.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Show your math please, although DL has not announced an exact configuration I don't buy your claim that only ~13% of seats will be middle seats, it will be more like 18% I suspect (that would be ~102 seats, 12 FC, ~90 coach). I think 2+2 with wider coach seats is better than 2+3, I understand the case you're making, but the reality is when domestic mainline load factor of paid passengers is 87% (which it was in 2015), there are going to be lots of occupied middle seats once you add in non-revs.

The CS will clearly have an advantage in that it's smallest aircraft is near the top of the Embraer range, but if we're just talking CS100 vs. (now cancelled) EMB-190, I would have preferred the EMB-190. I am not complaining about the CS at all, looks like it will be a very good aircraft ... just slightly less comfortable seating than the oh-so-generous EMB's.
The math is "right" is close depending on the exact configuration and if it's counted across the entire plane (including FC). Example: The 717 has 120 seats, 19 of which are middle seats in Rows 10-29 on the right side (no "middle" seat in Row 20, where the row only has two seats on the right side) . 19/120 = 15.8% of seats are middle seats, or 84.2% of seats are not middle seats.

I know we on FT tend to be a cyincal lot, but I'm blown away by the negativity of certain posters to this thread. Delta has a track record of picking up other people's detritus and you complain when they buy the most modern single aisle aircraft available today.

This is a fantastic opportunity for Delta and for the people who fly the airline.

From Delta's perspective
  • They get a new plane with CASM that is competitive with or lower than considerably larger aircraft - allowing much more operating flexibility
  • The long range capability of the CS100 allows them to open up routes between any two points in the continental US at much lower trip cost than a 737-700
  • Bombardier was desperate for this order, so Delta was able to pick them up at a very good price. Normally airlines have to trade-off up-front price for lower operating costs. In this case, Delta got the best of both worlds
  • Delta already operates the world's largest fleet of Bombardier aircraft through Delta Connection, so is very familiar with the supplier
  • They are ordering the CS100 (putting a downpayment on the cheapest model) but can upgrade to the larger CS300 - and presumably will be well positioned to buy a future CS500 when it is announced.
  • They can use the aircraft to differentiate themselves in the market for years to come since competitors won't be able to get delivery slots for several years (quiet, comfortable, "green").

From the passenger's perspective
  • Wider seats than any other narrow body (pitch will be up to Delta)
  • Modern AVOD at every seat
  • Ability to open up new long-thin routes across North America, meaning more non-stops
  • CASM that is competitive with much larger aircraft allows Delta to increase frequencies without increasing cost
  • 2-3 configuration in Y is better than 3-3 and often better than 2-2
  • Good storage bin capacity
  • Allows DL to use the CS100 to replace current larger regional jets and in turn use those to replace CRJ - in both cases offering the passenger a better flying experience
  • New engines are quieter than anything Delta currently flies

But no, some of you apparently want 1960's derivative 737's or MD80's or 1980's technology A320's instead of 2010 technology.

I was with you for most of your post, but I have to say I'd take that bet if I were a betting man. DL is still taking delivery of 737-900s so I highly doubt DL will be getting rid of the 737s before several of them even come due for their first D Check.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I am not complaining about the CS at all, looks like it will be a very good aircraft ... just slightly less comfortable seating than the oh-so-generous EMB's.
You are incorrect that the EJets have wider seats than the CSeries.

The CSeries has 18.5" wide aisle and window seats and 19" wide middle seats. http://commercialaircraft.bombardier...s/Comfort.html

The EJets has 18.25" wide seats. http://www.embraercommercialaviation...E190_Cabin.pdf
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The math is "right" is close depending on the exact configuration and if it's counted across the entire plane (including FC).
Is it "right" or is it close? The number of "~87%" has no basis in a realistic configuration in my opinion. I was generous assuming the aircraft would have 12 FC seats (I'm hopeful ... but that would put it at the high end on % of FC seats), I think that's an absolute maximum. If that is correct, and assuming it had even just 88 coach seats (assuming maybe one or two missing for the first row of Y/exit row), that makes an even 100 seats to make the math easy, to get to "~87%" non-middles means at most 14 middle seats (I'm being generous in rounding the "~87%" to 86%) ... 88 coach seats with 14 middle seats, the math just doesn't work. Admittedly we're only talking about 3 or 4 seat difference here, but I just don't understand the point of making up such a precise sounding number that just isn't realistic.

As I mentioned, DL's 2015 load factor was 87% ... and that does not include non-revs, so the reality is whether it's 13%, 16%, or 18% middle seats, they will often be occupied, more so at the 16% or 18% levels.

Ultimately though, none of this changes my fundamental belief and what I was saying in that Bombardier's 2-3 is not better than Embraer's 2-2 for seat comfort for all passengers, are you disagreeing with that? You are 100% guaranteed not to be stuck in a middle seat (or stuck beside someone in a middle seat needing to lean one way or the other to make room at times), and the seats are wider to boot on the 2-2 Embraers.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
You are incorrect that the EJets have wider seats than the CSeries.

The CSeries has 18.5" wide aisle and window seats and 19" wide middle seats. http://commercialaircraft.bombardier...s/Comfort.html

The EJets has 18.25" wide seats. http://www.embraercommercialaviation...E190_Cabin.pdf
For some reason I had it in my head the EMB's were 19" seats in coach ... okay, so the CS is planned to have wider seats ... maybe it will make those 13%, 16% or 18% middle seats bearable less miserable.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Is it "right" or is it close? The number of "~87%" has no basis in a realistic configuration in my opinion. I was generous assuming the aircraft would have 12 FC seats (I'm hopeful ... but that would put it at the high end on % of FC seats), I think that's an absolute maximum. If that is correct, and assuming it had even just 88 coach seats (assuming maybe one or two missing for the first row of Y/exit row), that makes an even 100 seats to make the math easy, to get to "~87%" non-middles means at most 14 middle seats (I'm being generous in rounding the "~87%" to 86%) ... 88 coach seats with 14 middle seats, the math just doesn't work. Admittedly we're only talking about 3 or 4 seat difference here, but I just don't understand the point of making up such a precise sounding number that just isn't realistic.
I initially said "right" and then edited my post to say "right" but guess I didn't edit it correctly. Either way, the difference is small and a much better percentage than in a 3-3 cabin. That's what I was trying to point out.

As I mentioned, DL's 2015 load factor was 87% ... and that does not include non-revs, so the reality is whether it's 13%, 16%, or 18% middle seats, they will often be occupied, more so at the 16% or 18% levels.
Now that is an excellent point and I'll admit not one I factored in when responding. I was simply responding to the math but didn't consider non-revs that don't count towards paid load factor.

Ultimately though, none of this changes my fundamental belief and what I was saying in that Bombardier's 2-3 is not better than Embraer's 2-2 for seat comfort for all passengers, are you disagreeing with that? You are 100% guaranteed not to be stuck in a middle seat (or stuck beside someone in a middle seat needing to lean one way or the other to make room at times), and the seats are wider to boot on the 2-2 Embraers.
Not disagreeing at all. I really like the E-Jets since every seat is a good seat. I was only responding to the math portion in which I understood how one could get to where up to an ~85% LF you could theoretically still have no passengers in a middle seat (which of course assumes people up front would be willing to move around the plane), but as I mentioned above, you are correct in bringing in the point about non-revs.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Not so sure about this, Republic has an order for uncommitted aircraft so there is certainly an opportunity for UA or AA, if they had any desire to do so, to get aircraft relatively soon. I doubt DL cares about this much honestly.
Delta has provided the DIP financing for Republic, so has significant control over what happens to those slots. I do agree that if AA or UA were to dangle a significant order in front of BBD, they would almost certainly find a way to open up slots for them - but almost certainly not until after a bunch of DL's aircraft have been delivered. Not sure either of those guys are in a rush to order, so DL will at the veryt least have a meaningful headstart. I do agree that DL probably doesn't care much about this, but it is currently an opportunity if they choose to use it.
The seats are not wider than the E190's they are not getting now, or any of the other modern Embraers.Certainly I agree it's better than 3-3, but not sure why you're trying to say it's better than the modern Embraers it competes against that are 2-2.
As Every1 Get a Life cited, yes the CSeries seats are wider. If you go back to my original post, I said 2-3 is "often" better not "always". Even if we assume a 90% load factor, that implies that more than half the middle seats can be left vacant. Personally I'll take an empty middle seat beside me over a passenger beside me in a 2-2 configuration. How about you? If you don't want to play that lottery, book seats on the "2" side.

Shame you're not a betting man, I'd love to take that bet. It's highly unlikely that some of the more modern aircraft, especially the 737-900's still being delivered, will be gone in May 2026.
If fuel prices remain anywhere close to where they are now, you are probably correct - and DL may fly the 737-900 (and others) until 2046.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
http://www.travelpulse.com/news/airl...e-cseries.html
Old May 6, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: Irrelevant
More close up pictures of the C Series

There are some nice exterior, interior passenger cabin, cockpit, cargo bay, lavatory and galley photos in the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bomba...s-delta-2016-5
Old May 6, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by jaysona
There are some nice exterior, interior passenger cabin, cockpit, cargo bay, lavatory and galley photos in the article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/bomba...s-delta-2016-5
keep in mind these are likely just the sample/prototype plane BBD has been showing potential airlines and DL will customize theirs as they see fit
Old May 6, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by woodford02A
keep in mind these are likely just the sample/prototype plane BBD has been showing potential airlines and DL will customize theirs as they see fit
The aircraft pictured in the article is not a prototype. The aircraft is MSN50006, also referred to as P1 sometimes which stands for Production 1. It is the first airframe that is a production model and does not have any experimental equipment in it and was assembled as would be any other production aircraft.

The cabin seating and lack of IFE are things Delta can customize in terms of options, but everything else cabin wise, galley wise, etc are pretty representative of what would be delivered.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:03 pm

Couple articles today mentioned that Embraer is exploring a WTO challenge against the bailout Bombardier received from the government of Quebec. Embraer pointed to the Delta deal as evidence of unfair practice. Take the number with a grain of salt, but it sounds like Delta got a 2/3 discount on the CS100 jets, which would price them at just under $24M each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.