Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's proposed 20-year ATL airport lease includes construction of Concourse G

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta's proposed 20-year ATL airport lease includes construction of Concourse G

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Oh also the STATE needs to grow up, put on their big boy/girl pants, and prepare/create a SECOND airport in Atlanta.
There's a few problems with your scheme.

1.Where would you put such an airport? The only place that's currently possible without spending untold billions on highway infrastructure would be at least 50-60 miles from Downtown ATL. Then you still face a problem of access from the rest of the state, as people coming from points east and south would end up driving through the city to access the new "improved" airport.

2. Who would pay for it? The state of GA? It would cause riots outside the metro ATL area and probably within it as well.Keep in mind that the states Rural Republican voting base has been voicing increasing discontent with the amount of state spending that happens in the metro ATL area.

3. Who is asking for it? Access to ATL from outlying parts of the state is quick and easy as its in a mostly traffic free corner of the city. It may be a horrible commute from the northern suburbs occasionally, but just think of what adding an airport out there would do to the already horrible traffic situation in those suburbs.

tl;dr- Will never happen.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:36 pm

Odds are this is the "south gate complex" they have talked about for years. They would kick everybody who is not Delta out, and send them to the south gate complex. Maybe they are now calling it concourse G?
SGC is dead. Cargo will be moving where SGC was going to go and, over the longer term, the current south cargo will expand to the former NWA (so to be short term DL) hangar.

more than likely North cargo will also move south and you will see a DL hangar and possibly second runway built in its place.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think they will end up relocated some facilities east or north of F (I don;t know what the stuff due north is, and if it needs to be located where it is). You want to maintain the passenger airside connectivity, and also taxiway paths look to be better keeping the concourse in that general area. Directly north of F looks good as it could be cheaply connected via moving walkway to F.

And 5 more T gates. And this plan dropped (or keeps as a potential future option) an H concourse.

The parking deck rebuild will be an adventure for us locals. I suspect remote lots will fill up. Time for Marta/Uber.

Looks like the 2nd airport proponents from years ago had the right idea. Fly some O/D traffic in/out of that (WN would happily move) and keep ATL at a sane size. It is growing so fast they might use kudzu as ground cover to keep up with the pace.
Everything will be built where the current DL cargo and flight kitchens are. TechOps isn't moving.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
The long, long-term plan if the airport still needs more space would then be to move TechOPS and expand the F/G/H/I concourses into full-size a la T-E. But moving TechOps will not be cheap.
It will be a long time, if ever, that TechOps is moving. TOC1 is being converted into the new Roll Royce engine shop and a new larger (largest in the world) test cell will be built. DL/RR aren't putting all the money into the new engine shop just to move it.
What ATL needs to figure out is having a train land side to connect the international and domestic side. NO the stupid 12 passenger buses are not a solution.
this.
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
There's no need for a second airport for Atlanta. A sixth runway, for departures, and a south side Victor loop will do wonders for saving time.
and there are plans for a 7th runway on the north side if even more capacity is needed.
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Too bad there are no other solutions like, ya know, having some more routes via other hubs.
why would you add unprofitable flying back?
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
There's a few problems with your scheme.

1.Where would you put such an airport? The only place that's currently possible without spending untold billions on highway infrastructure would be at least 50-60 miles from Downtown ATL. Then you still face a problem of access from the rest of the state, as people coming from points east and south would end up driving through the city to access the new "improved" airport.

2. Who would pay for it? The state of GA? It would cause riots outside the metro ATL area and probably within it as well.Keep in mind that the states Rural Republican voting base has been voicing increasing discontent with the amount of state spending that happens in the metro ATL area.

3. Who is asking for it? Access to ATL from outlying parts of the state is quick and easy as its in a mostly traffic free corner of the city. It may be a horrible commute from the northern suburbs occasionally, but just think of what adding an airport out there would do to the already horrible traffic situation in those suburbs.

tl;dr- Will never happen.
exactly. I won't say it won't ever happen but i suspect we will be dead a gone before it does.

Georgia isn't stupid, you don't go pissing in your largest employers pool. ATL still has plenty of room to expand.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Too bad there are no other solutions like, ya know, having some more routes via other hubs.
If flights via other hubs produced a higher financial return they would be operated.

The positive network effects at ATL (and at DFW for AA) can only be dreamed of by IAD/DCA/BWI and JFK/LGA/EWR. Look at average gauge and number of destinations served non-stop, for example. Then look at those metrics for a metro area the size of ATL, not LA or NYC.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:18 pm

Sorry...won't happen for another 20 years. Delta's signed the lease with "no 2nd commercial airport" as a stipulation.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
and there are plans for a 7th runway on the north side if even more capacity is needed.
The seventh runway will actually go south and slightly east of the current runway 10/28. The eight runway is planned to go on, I say again, on Virginia Avenue.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
The seventh runway will actually go south and slightly east of the current runway 10/28. The eight runway is planned to go on, I say again, on Virginia Avenue.
Seventh runway looks like it will necessitate the removal of a lot of airport hotels, like that massive Sheraton, and the Ruby Tuesday's I've eaten at way too often.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If flights via other hubs produced a higher financial return they would be operated.

The positive network effects at ATL (and at DFW for AA) can only be dreamed of by IAD/DCA/BWI and JFK/LGA/EWR. Look at average gauge and number of destinations served non-stop, for example. Then look at those metrics for a metro area the size of ATL, not LA or NYC.
^

Even if you don't live in ATL, DL's Mega-Hub offers a majority of American's one stop service to hundreds of cities.

Moving ATL flights back MEM and CVG would reduce people options not enhance them. If I have to connect I'd rather have 10 frequencies from my Origin to the hub and 10 Frequencies to my destination as opposed to 5 from ATL 2 from MEM and 3 from CVG.

I get the most possible combinations and rebooking options if flights are delayed.
Spanish likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:41 am

I know by now that it's not exactly breaking news now, but I was surprised to hear that they're no longer going to build Concourse G because it's $1.5 billion dollar price tag is too much and instead sound like they want to spend $500 million for a 6-8 gate dogleg off of the south end of T plus somehow cram in two more gates each on B,C, and D. The whole thing sounds hugely expensive for a relatively marginal amount of gates; almost like they don't want to bite the big (but more efficient) bullet of building a significant new domestic terminal complex elsewhere (where the old 1970s terminal was at the north end of the airport would make enormous sense).
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
I know by now that it's not exactly breaking news now, but I was surprised to hear that they're no longer going to build Concourse G because it's $1.5 billion dollar price tag is too much and instead sound like they want to spend $500 million for a 6-8 gate dogleg off of the south end of T plus somehow cram in two more gates each on B,C, and D. The whole thing sounds hugely expensive for a relatively marginal amount of gates; almost like they don't want to bite the big (but more efficient) bullet of building a significant new domestic terminal complex elsewhere (where the old 1970s terminal was at the north end of the airport would make enormous sense).
Actually, it was very old news. That was last year. There's no news from ATL at this time. I believe they still under construction new concourse G and extended 5 new gates at entire concourse T for American Airlines.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by GSP flyer
You might note that ATL has had a 10% reduction in flight operations over the last decade due to larger aircraft by both DL and WN. While over the same time 12 new gates were added at via concourse F.

There is no use case I am aware of that requires much in the way of new gates. If anything the D concourse could be reconfigured to handle more widebodies.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by kop84
^

Even if you don't live in ATL, DL's Mega-Hub offers a majority of American's one stop service to hundreds of cities.

Moving ATL flights back MEM and CVG would reduce people options not enhance them. If I have to connect I'd rather have 10 frequencies from my Origin to the hub and 10 Frequencies to my destination as opposed to 5 from ATL 2 from MEM and 3 from CVG.

I get the most possible combinations and rebooking options if flights are delayed.
The larger the hub, the more connections, and the higher the profitability. Financially, Delta has every reason to make ATL as big as possible.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
deleted

Last edited by sleuth; Aug 22, 2019 at 1:49 am
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
So just tear down Hapeville, Delta HQ, the Delta RES center, Delta Credit Union, part of College Park, all of Virginia Ave, North/South central Avenue, Wells Fargo Operation Center, and a very large and old cemetery?

I mean, the dead people probably don’t care, but everyone else....?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by sleuth

So just tear down Hapeville, Delta HQ, the Delta RES center, Delta Credit Union, part of College Park, all of Virginia Ave, North/South central Avenue, Wells Fargo Operation Center, and a very large and old cemetery?

Yes, bulldoze the whole place except for the Dwarf House.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by rylan
That airport is going to become too big to handle.

I wonder what a G would mean... convert E to domestic and F+G are intl?
Yay another International terminal for 99.9% DL flights and .1% every other airline in the world, glad Hartsfield management is literally continuing the monopoly for DL.

Edit: I am aware that I fly DL and that I am in a DL forum, but it does not mean I enjoy them having a monopoly over ATL and I (the consumer) pays the ransom they charge for flights in and out of here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.