Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Account hacked today

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by clinspec
Over the past 5 months I have been repeatedly hit by identity theft, most recently again a few days ago. I changed all my passwords (again-sigh) yesterday and have removed all credit card information from websites that store them. I was surprised at how many hotel, rental car, airline and department store websites put me through the wringer just to make the password change. Most of them send a text providing a code you have to enter back at the website, all before the change is made. Immediately after the change was made I received emails notifying me, so it seems they are all tightening up their security. Interesting note that Delta was the only website that wouldn't allow characters in my password to make it more secure....
IIRC Marriott says no characters, but I've been told that you really can use them in passwords. It requires capital letter, lower case letter, and number according to the rules you see when you pick the password--pick one that Marriott doesn't like, which is also a bit different from some of the password requirements for other programs.

I wish so much you could see these rules when entering the password as this would make it easier for me to remember the variation that I'm using for some particular program.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I understand your pain but really, 90 million SkyMiles members don't have (much) incremental reason to check our accounts because you got hacked today. Good password and browser practices every day will be more useful.
The OP's gesture of warning others is appreciated. If you haven't been the recipient of a huge breach in security and identity theft, it's easy to minimize it. Just using strong passwords and safe internet practices aren't always enough. I've learned after multiple non-internet related breaches of my bank accounts, that you do have to be diligent and check every financial or online account you have, every day if you want to keep your money in your own pocket.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Marriott says no characters, but I've been told that you really can use them in passwords. It requires capital letter, lower case letter, and number according to the rules you see when you pick the password--pick one that Marriott doesn't like, which is also a bit different from some of the password requirements for other programs.
Marriott must have changed policy because I did use a character (a very common one, but a character) yesterday.

I wish so much you could see these rules when entering the password as this would make it easier for me to remember the variation that I'm using for some particular program.
Yes. Very frustrating, especially when you are changing a bunch at one time and they all have slightly different requirements
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:12 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by clinspec
Interesting note that Delta was the only website that wouldn't allow characters in my password to make it more secure....
I drew the short straw and have to be pedantic today.

On a computer, a "character" is a letter or a number. (Some will argue only a letter.) I'm sure that Delta's and every other web site allows a character. What they don't allow are commonly referred to as "symbols" or "punctuation" such as "%" or "!" or similar.

Next, we'll study glyphs.

Last edited by DL-Don; Mar 3, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
One of the best methods any company can use is to notify you when changes are made. to the OLD email address.

Of course, if somebody is also in your email account, then can delete that email before you can see it.

Still, notification is a big stumbling block for hackers. And those that require a code be sent to you before changing the email is great as well. Mine is set to my phone vs email making it even harder for hackers. Not impossible, just more difficult.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
My wife just had something similar happen the other day - saw an email that her profie had been updated (which she hadn't done). Turns out someone got into her account and spent miles. She contacted Delta, and they said they won't reinstate the miles or do anything, because it's not their fault she gave her password to someone

FWIW the password was about as strong as Delta will allow it to be. Pretty frustrated they're blowing off a fraudulent redemption that was promptly reported.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
My wife just had something similar happen the other day - saw an email that her profie had been updated (which she hadn't done). Turns out someone got into her account and spent miles. She contacted Delta, and they said they won't reinstate the miles or do anything, because it's not their fault she gave her password to someone

FWIW the password was about as strong as Delta will allow it to be. Pretty frustrated they're blowing off a fraudulent redemption that was promptly reported.
If this was an award ticket, has it already been flown? it might be harder for DL to undo a fraudulent merchandise order.

I'd try to escalate regarding the decision not to return the miles. It shouldn't be possible to make an address change and then immediately order a bunch of stuff to be sent to the new address.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 84fiero

Is she sure she didn't accidentally stay logged in on a public/work cpmputer?

As MSP asks, if award travel did you cancel.

Last question, who got the award? There'll be a name attached/address.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If this was an award ticket, has it already been flown? it might be harder for DL to undo a fraudulent merchandise order.

I'd try to escalate regarding the decision not to return the miles. It shouldn't be possible to make an address change and then immediately order a bunch of stuff to be sent to the new address.
No, oddly it was a miles transfer (share miles to another SM account) but based on the timing it did occur the same day as the address, email, etc. change. We don't recognize the name associated with the account that received the miles.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is she sure she didn't accidentally stay logged in on a public/work cpmputer?

As MSP asks, if award travel did you cancel.

Last question, who got the award? There'll be a name attached/address.
Positive, she rarely logs onto Delta to begin with - we aren't flying them much the past few years - and certainly hasn't done so outside the house.

She has escalated so we'll see what happens. Just odd that this was DL's initial response. If that's their stance then no one would ever be made whole after fraud if they just say "well, you must have given someone your password, too bad"
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:22 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If it was a mileage transfer to another account, particularly, since, I guess there had to be a fee paid to transfer the miles, you would think they would know who the miles went to and be able to investigate and track the party down.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Might want to HUCA (hang up and call again)

If you get the same response I would definitely ask for a supervisor (or to be transfer to fraud prevention).
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Why would anybody hack an account then pay to transfer miles?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by lov2fly
Might want to HUCA (hang up and call again)

If you get the same response I would definitely ask for a supervisor (or to be transfer to fraud prevention).
THIS.
HUCA. HUCA. HUCA Supervisor.

You got a terrible agent.

It is Delta's responsibility to have some safeguards in place to prevent fraud of your Skymiles account. Presuming you called Delta as soon as you noticed the issue they should be able to cancel travel or stop the marketplace purchases. If you waited 1 week to call Delta well yes I'm afraid you do bear some responsibility for that fraud.

And even if it was for immediate travel that means delta has the names of passengers travelling etc and can go after that for due compensation on the flights. Unless it was just an intermediary who was using your miles to book travel for an innocent person. Possible I guess.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If it was a mileage transfer, then DL knows what account it went to and should be able to reverse it and flag the account it went to as fraud. I guess the question is, as others mentioned, how much time elapsed from the notification of profile update until she contacted Delta?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:58 am

DL can revoke FF privileges for the receiving account, but if it's a new account set up for fraud, this won't matter. Some airlines have policies that new accounts can't receive tranferred miles, which tends to prevent these sorts of problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.