SkyMiles Account hacked today

Old Mar 2, 16, 12:01 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
SkyMiles Account hacked today

My SkyMiles account was hacked about one hour ago. Profile information was changed and over 500K miles "spent" in the Maretplace.

Called Delta and got it fixed right away. Word of caution to others: check your accounts in case you also were hacked.
Old Mar 2, 16, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I assume what the personal information was changed to was not someone you knew and the hack was external to you. How do you know it was hacked just an hour ago. If that is true then it should be fairly easy to catch them as I assume you can't ship that stuff to a P.O. Box.

It would be nice if DL had an automatic email notification when a large number of miles are used like you can set up with bank transactions.

Was your DL password a common one you use, do you get on GoGo often. Trying to understand the how it got hacked.
Old Mar 2, 16, 12:48 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
I assume what the personal information was changed to was not someone you knew and the hack was external to you.
Yes that is correct.

How do you know it was hacked just an hour ago. If that is true then it should be fairly easy to catch them as I assume you can't ship that stuff to a P.O. Box.
Delta sent me an email notifying me that my personal information had been updated. These emails are sent within a few minutes after the changes are made. As soon as I saw the email, I called SkyMiles desk.

Was your DL password a common one you use, do you get on GoGo often. Trying to understand the how it got hacked.
I use different passwords on all sites; none are repeated. So my Delta password was unique for that site. And I don't use GoGo at all.
Old Mar 2, 16, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Glad you noticed and got it fixed quickly before anything shipped out to the hackers.
Old Mar 2, 16, 2:04 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Glad you noticed and got it fixed quickly before anything shipped out to the hackers.
I wish we had the manpower to let it ship and then nail the .......s when they accepted delivery.

Now... they get off free.
Old Mar 2, 16, 2:34 pm

It would be nice if DL had an automatic email notification when a large number of miles are used like you can set up with bank transactions.
I believe that they do.
Old Mar 2, 16, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
I get something like this every time I cash in miles for a trip:

"Dear Mr. XYZ,

Your SkyMiles account *** reflects 25,000 miles were used on January 22, 2016 for Award Travel.

If you did not authorize this transaction, please contact us immediately at 1-800-323-2323 for assistance. If you are currently outside of the United States, please contact the local reservations office where you are located.

This email is a transaction notice only. You will receive a separate email detailing your Award Travel reservation.

As always, we thank you for your loyalty."

I've never purchased anything from the Marketplace, but I would expect to receive a similar notification.
Old Mar 2, 16, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant View Post

"Dear Mr. XYZ,

Your SkyMiles account *** reflects 25,000 miles were used on January 22, 2016 for Award Travel.

If you did not authorize this transaction, please contact us immediately at 1-800-323-2323 for assistance. If you are currently outside of the United States, please contact the local reservations office where you are located.

This email is a transaction notice only. You will receive a separate email detailing your Award Travel reservation.

I've never purchased anything from the Marketplace, but I would expect to receive a similar notification.
I received a similar notification for my last award tickets, probably about a month ago. I think this is pretty new, as I don't remember such notifications for earlier DL redemptions.
Old Mar 2, 16, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KDS View Post
Called Delta and got it fixed right away. Word of caution to others: check your accounts in case you also were hacked.
I understand your pain but really, 90 million SkyMiles members don't have (much) incremental reason to check our accounts because you got hacked today. Good password and browser practices every day will be more useful.
Old Mar 2, 16, 4:43 pm

No suspicious activity on my account. I changed the password and security questions just in case, but, unless we hear from other people getting hacked, this is likely an isolated incident.

I got some miles posted from points.com today, which got me worried as I have not done anything on points.com in years. Turns out Biscoff posts their awards this way.
Old Mar 2, 16, 5:01 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant View Post

"Dear Mr. XYZ,

..that is, if the hacker didn't change your account's e-mail address. It happened to me with my BA account, so...
Old Mar 2, 16, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I understand your pain but really, 90 million SkyMiles members don't have (much) incremental reason to check our accounts because you got hacked today. Good password and browser practices every day will be more useful.
Wrong! Last year Hilton Hhonors got hit with a big scam. They have since changed their login process. Maybe it's one guy who left his account open at the wrong place or it could be something significant.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know. That's the great thing about FT. I am sure I am not the only one to check my account. Good job of DL for having a system that double checks these things.
Old Mar 2, 16, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Originally Posted by Meriem View Post
..that is, if the hacker didn't change your account's e-mail address. It happened to me with my BA account, so...
I haven't changed my email with Delta recently but when I've done so with other companies, they send an email confirmation to the new AND old address. Smart.
Old Mar 2, 16, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
I haven't changed my email with Delta recently but when I've done so with other companies, they send an email confirmation to the new AND old address. Smart.
This is a good practice, but I don't think you can count on it being followed by all airline and hotel programs, unfortunately.
Old Mar 3, 16, 1:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This is a good practice, but I don't think you can count on it being followed by all airline and hotel programs, unfortunately.
Over the past 5 months I have been repeatedly hit by identity theft, most recently again a few days ago. I changed all my passwords (again-sigh) yesterday and have removed all credit card information from websites that store them. I was surprised at how many hotel, rental car, airline and department store websites put me through the wringer just to make the password change. Most of them send a text providing a code you have to enter back at the website, all before the change is made. Immediately after the change was made I received emails notifying me, so it seems they are all tightening up their security. Interesting note that Delta was the only website that wouldn't allow characters in my password to make it more secure....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: