Search

'Through flight' + bump + GUCs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
'Through flight' + bump + GUCs?

Question for the experts:

Im flying JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN tomorrow, GUC waitlisted on DTW-NRT and id add the request to NRT-SIN if DTW-NRT cleared first. I just got the bump bid request online, and the skyclub agent here confirmed that NRT-SIN is overbooked by 9. I mentioned that id much rather be bumped while in DTW as there is an event i could attend while there. She mentioned that the whole route is seen as a 'through' flight DTW-SIN so once i get there i may be able to get the bump and wait for the next flight while in DTW. That sounds like a stretch to me but ill take it.

My question is for the GUCs. Assuming shes right and i can take a bump in DTW, if they clear my GUC on DTW-NRT before they then accept my bump somehow, does the GUC get returned? Or applied to the rebooked flight? Or lost?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Clearing will probably be a good thing because you'll be more likely to be placed into a premium cabin with your rebooking (bypassing the waitlist). And it is possible the GUC would get returned even if you fly up front.

You shouldn't be charged with a GUC for any flight you don't take. If it didn't go back into your wallet, you would be able to sort it out by calling.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2.4MM
What will be the determining factor is the D1 availability on NRT-SIN. If it's +12 in F and -9 in Y then there won't be a bump (likely just an operational upgrade). I would find out the second half of the equation before making any decisions.

If your GUC cleared before you accepted a VDB I'm sure you would be confirmed in F on the next flight of your choosing.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh

Im flying JFK-DTW-NRT-SIN tomorrow, GUC waitlisted on DTW-NRT and id add the request to NRT-SIN if DTW-NRT cleared first. I just got the bump bid request online, and the skyclub agent here confirmed that NRT-SIN is overbooked by 9. I mentioned that id much rather be bumped while in DTW as there is an event i could attend while there. She mentioned that the whole route is seen as a 'through' flight DTW-SIN so once i get there i may be able to get the bump and wait for the next flight while in DTW. That sounds like a stretch to me but ill take it.

My question is for the GUCs. Assuming shes right and i can take a bump in DTW, if they clear my GUC on DTW-NRT before they then accept my bump somehow, does the GUC get returned? Or applied to the rebooked flight? Or lost?
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Well at DTW now and they are telling me the bump will be decided once I'm in NRT as 'things could change by then'. Oh well. At least my GUC went through.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by xolinlevh

It's not too likely you can take the bump in DTW because some people might not show up in NRT so they won't need you. But maybe, possibly if you reschedule a difference routing. And if they see it as a through flight that's oversold, it might be possible.

If the GUC is cleared, life gets interesting. First possibility is you get the upgrade on the new flight. In that case, the GUC is used, end of discussion. If not (J is full), you should get the GUC re-opened. You might have to wait until after you return.

If that's the case, ask the GA (or a redcoat) to annotate your record that the GUC should be returned. (They probably can't do it, but a note in the record makes it easy for an agent you phone later to get a supervisor to do it.)
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Once you're in NRT, you have a GUC wait-listed for free (since it's already used on DTW-NRT). If you take the VDB, make sure it carries over (or just get rebooked directly into J).
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Clearing will probably be a good thing because you'll be more likely to be placed into a premium cabin with your rebooking (bypassing the waitlist). And it is possible the GUC would get returned even if you fly up front.

You shouldn't be charged with a GUC for any flight you don't take. If it didn't go back into your wallet, you would be able to sort it out by calling.
this +1

even if it did you can tell them you were re-route they may also give you back the GUC if you are lucky.

if your upgrade cleared, they certainly will re book you into premium cabin on other airlines
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick

My understanding is that once the ticket has been reissued with the GUC, you cannot get the GUC back. What you can do is to "change" the ticket however you want (probably by paying a change fee as usual) so that it's GUC stays attached to your new itinerary.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Felixishim
this +1

even if it did you can tell them you were re-route they may also give you back the GUC if you are lucky.

if your upgrade cleared, they certainly will re book you into premium cabin on other airlines
They are very unlikely to pay for the premium cabin on another airline for someone upgraded with a GUC; they'll give someone else the bump instead. If they have a J seat available on Delta, that's different.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that once the ticket has been reissued with the GUC, you cannot get the GUC back. What you can do is to "change" the ticket however you want (probably by paying a change fee as usual) so that it's GUC stays attached to your new itinerary.
You can get the GUC re-opened, under some circumstances. In a VDB situation (which this is), there's no change fee involved, just compensation to the passenger. If he ends up flying in coach, he should certainly get the GUC back.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:32 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not sure if downgrading is possible, but you can definitely get the GUC back if the flight is cancelled or you do not fly. It may require a call, but I have had to do that in the past.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Its the MSP-NRT-SIN that is normally the 'through' flight with one flight number. NRT-DTW-SIN is two different flight numbers.

Curious as to how this worked out for the OP. The NRT-SIN flight is frequently oversold in Y so if you have a GUC waitlisted for that segment they will clear you before or as you land in NRT as long as J isn't sold out also. As someone else mentioned, applying the GUC to the NRT-SIN is a 'freebie' at that point since you already cleared for the DTW-NRT segment. riskier to play the VDB game and then be stuck in NRT or put on another carrier in the back of the bus for 7+ hours to SIN.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Its the MSP-NRT-SIN that is normally the 'through' flight with one flight number. NRT-DTW-SIN is two different flight numbers.

Curious as to how this worked out for the OP. The NRT-SIN flight is frequently oversold in Y so if you have a GUC waitlisted for that segment they will clear you before or as you land in NRT as long as J isn't sold out also. As someone else mentioned, applying the GUC to the NRT-SIN is a 'freebie' at that point since you already cleared for the DTW-NRT segment. riskier to play the VDB game and then be stuck in NRT or put on another carrier in the back of the bus for 7+ hours to SIN.
The last time I checked, SEA-NRT-SIN was the direct flight, although it was MSP-NRT-SIN quite often in the past.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Ended up being a moot point either way. Agent at DTW had no interest in helping me get a bump for the later flight. They must have gotten low enough offers accepted as they werent looking anymore when i arrived in Tokyo, and all my GUCs cleared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.