Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta throws tantrum over JFK/LGA slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta throws tantrum over JFK/LGA slots

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by airplanegod
I agree with Delta that they should have the slots at JFK/LGA so smaller communities could be served and we wouldn't have another JFK/LGA-Florida flight.
Why? Why should users of the clearly more viable NYC-Florida flights subsidize passengers traveling NYC-East Podunk? If the residents of East Podunk want robust air service, they are free to move or pass the hat within their own communities to subsidize the service.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'm on record as saying that slots at restricted airports should be auctioned off by the government every few years...
There was noise about this re: opening up slots at LGA earlier this year, and last year as well. While it's not highly likely, I think over the next five years something like this could actually happen.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Why? Why should users of the clearly more viable NYC-Florida flights subsidize passengers traveling NYC-East Podunk? If the residents of East Podunk want robust air service, they are free to move or pass the hat within their own communities to subsidize the service.
Because there is already PLENTY of NYC to Florida seats available at a very low to reasonable price. (last minute spring break tickets don't count).

Any additional seats are just going to cannibalize the existing travelers to Florida, many of them probably connecting in NYC from those Podunk towns you speak so highly of.

The market as it is now is working w/o DOT intervention. If there was more demand to Florida from NYC, AA/DL/UA/WN/B6 would shift flights from smaller cities to Florida.

What you're basically asking for is for those NE towns to subsidize more Florida vacations at the expense of their commercial/business needs.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's important to serve a variety of places. Not everyone lives in a big city or a tropical destination. At least B6 isn't about just serving Florida and tropical islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.