Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gold Medallions+: Anyone finish the year with NO upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Medallions+: Anyone finish the year with NO upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: DL, AA
2015 - GM - just made PM a few weeks ago
2016 - PM
MQ's 38
1 "sort-of-upgrade" - CRJ-7 EUG-SLC

I don't recall a PDB on that trip, doesn't matter as I provide
my own PBB (Pre Board Beverage).

2 more domestic trips this year and not counting on a upgrade.
Now that I'm PM, the chances of an upgrade may be marginally better -
but SNA is medallion heavy, lots of DM tags clanking at Priority lane.

Last edited by ACCDraw; Nov 28, 2015 at 1:08 am Reason: clarification
Old Nov 29, 2015, 8:36 am

2015 GM
2016 FO

Home base is MSP.

In about 25 segments, I will have two upgrades. Both were issues at the gate, and one was then taken back before I could board causing me to lose my exit row seat in Y. Talk about a kick in the teeth.

I barely even check the upgrade list anymore. There are no upgrades anymore.

I fly to tUS a fair amount and years ago as a FO was upgraded on the return TUS to MSP a lot. Now never.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Landed my last upgrade of the year on a short ATL to CLT hop Saturday night - I was hoping for the upgrade on the SAN to ATL leg but after booking and landing an 8 of 15 slot on the upgrade list - with 8 seats available, I awoke the next morning to an 11 spot on the list. Where do these DM's materialize from in under 12 hrs? I even went out of my way to book a class B fare.

I also called the SkyMiles desk and offered to use miles to upgrade. I was told that there were no more miles-for-upgrade spots available even though the site was showing 8 available first class seats. What gives?

Last edited by KenTarmac; Dec 20, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by KenTarmac
Landed my last upgrade of the year on a short ATL to CLT hop Saturday night - I was hoping for the upgrade on the SAN to ATL leg but after booking and landing an 8 of 15 slot on the upgrade list - with 8 seats available, I awoke the next morning to an 11 spot on the list. Where do these DM's materialize from in under 12 hrs? I even went out of my way to book a class B fare.

I also called the SkyMiles desk and offered to use miles to upgrade. I was told that there were no more miles-for-upgrade spots available even though the site was showing 8 available first class seats. What gives?
What gives is this....DL rev management says, "we'll take your 'paid-more-money-for-a-B-fare-than-you-should-have', and we'll raise you a 'non-status-jimbob-on-a-$25-FCM-offer'.......got you hook, line, and sinker......

Why does anyone value status anyone, not even the RUCs/GUCs are really worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

I usually check in right before I leave for the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATL787
What gives is this....DL rev management says, "we'll take your 'paid-more-money-for-a-B-fare-than-you-should-have', and we'll raise you a 'non-status-jimbob-on-a-$25-FCM-offer'.......got you hook, line, and sinker......

Why does anyone value status anyone, not even the RUCs/GUCs are really worth it.
True enough. Well, it wasn't my money anyway. At least I did land the upgrade on the second segment.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
You bought a B fare? Then WFBF. I'm sure the upfare would have been peanuts, if not a refund. You can upfare even while standing at the gate--done it myself. Just call.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:27 pm

Good to know about buying the upfare at the gate.

What is WFBF?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Good to know about buying the upfare at the gate.

What is WFBF?
Stands for "Want First? Buy First."

Last edited by cestmoi123; Dec 21, 2015 at 1:00 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Wow

Me, DM - probably around 75% success rate, although many were at the gate. Years past 90%, mostly at window.

My wife was 5 for 16 as GM, all on award tickets.

Also very little luck with GUC's on international. Years past did well with SWU.

It's getting worse and will continue to do so (investor's day presentation) but I'm scratching my head over some of these reports....no upgrades for a DM?

I'm actually more ticked off by hearing about all these cheap upgrades.....I never get these offers, mine are usually several hundred $$$. I would actually do it if it were reasonable.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
As a PM have gotten a few, but noticeably less than last year. Still got a couple companion UG's too!

I just use FCM when I want it now and find that method much more relaxing.

I have had mixed feelings with RUCs this year. The two I've tried cleared at the gate, so they were a success in that way, but I wish DL would make at least a little inventory available at booking for flights that matter (e.g., anything over 3 hrs).
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Used to be LGA to anywhere in Florida was guaranteed. Now it's maybe 33%
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:55 pm

I'm probably 60% this year. Lots of short flights out of LGA and trips to San Juan getting me the upgrades. Flights to Chicago were slim to none unless opting for a Sunday morning flight out. Anything longer than NYC->SJU/MSP/MIA i'd find myself at #20 on the UG list. One UG ATL->LGA at 9pm on a Saturday (But i SDC'd to the 7pm).

Upgrades are nice, wish i could get them on the longer flights, but to me the ability to SDC is what keeps me with Delta. That and they seem to run the most efficient operation in the US. Had to take 2 trips with AA this year and all 4 legs had severe delays (hour+)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.