Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Gold Medallions+: Anyone finish the year with NO upgrades?

Old Nov 22, 15, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum

Any Medallions, Gold and above, who finished the year with no upgrades to first class?

(include 2015 status, number of segments, MQD, 2016 status)
Old Nov 22, 15, 10:35 am

Programs: DL MM, AA PP, AS MVP
Yeah, me. DL Diamond. I credited all of my DL flights to AS this year, so did not receive a single medallion upgrade $0 MQDs. 2016 status: FO (due to MM status).

That said, I was in the front cabin on all of my 12 DL segments. Combination of GUCs and upgrades supported by my AS status.

Last edited by Erasmus; Nov 22, 15 at 10:47 am
Old Nov 22, 15, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Gold; ANZ Gold
2015 - FO
2016 - PM
0 upgrades out of 30ish flights this year

I live in Atlanta, so my chances of upgrade are few to begin with, then I've only been flying to places where upgrades are difficult anyways (SFO, LAX, SEA).

I'm flying home to DFW for Thanksgiving this week, and I got upgraded on my DFW-ATL leg last year as an FO (!), but my boyfriend and I bought up to G fares so he could get some much-needed MQMs for his status. And we're going to DTW for Christmas, so... not expecting much there.
Old Nov 22, 15, 4:43 pm
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've never been upgraded, but this is also my first year of having any status at all. I'm 0/6 for the year.

I usually get good FCM offers, so I rarely fly in the back anyway.
Old Nov 22, 15, 4:54 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta PM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Comfort Choice or Choice Comfort or whatever it's called is my new home. Hey, the drinks are on the house there too ...

I think I've landed 1, may be 2 upgrades to the very front this year and I'm Silver. Usually on the short CLT to ATL segment or on the old Northwest route DTW to CLT or vice versa.

Segment, day of week and time of day of the flight play a huge role in whether or not anyone lands an upgrade. I always check 1st class availability before choosing an itinerary.

Out of ATL forget it. There are wayyyyy to many Platinum and Diamonds there to compete with. I think for anyone at that level to have a fighting change of landing an upgrade over another Platinum or Diamond is to have the Delta credit card and a ton of spend on it ...

Last edited by KenTarmac; Nov 23, 15 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 22, 15, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Got GM status in August. Travel out of DCA, usually on trips leaving Tues-thurs, returning Sat-Sun.

Since becoming GM, I'm 30-40% UG, mostly on segments connecting out of DTW MSP or CVG. Never out of ATL.

Just made PM so hoping for slight improvements . Can always dream, right!?
Old Nov 22, 15, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
My flights were all JFK-LAX and JFK-NRT.

No upgrades. I did use miles once JFK-LAX.
Old Nov 22, 15, 10:56 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hard8 View Post
Any Medallions, Gold and above, who finished the year with no upgrades to first class?

as a diamond this year I think I'm 1 for 22 or so segments. Pretty depressing. Now I'm spreading my flights to other airlines. Status is almost completely meaningless anymore.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:28 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Hit PM in May, DM early this month. ATL based. My impression (haven't logged) is I've hit about 25% UGs, maybe a bit more. EG, last trip was ATL-MDT (Harrisburg); associates took AA as corp travel forced them into $50 RT cheaper flight. I opted for a less desirable schedule (arv early, depart later) on DL, but 1) got my MQMs and 2) got UG on 3/4 segs. Win. Just did some work in the hotel instead of at home.

Last edited by EditingFX; Nov 23, 15 at 5:33 am
Old Nov 23, 15, 4:18 pm

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
I felt for sure I was going to end 0/19 as a GM but then my last flight SFO-SLC I snagged an upgrade at the gate. Wednesday evenings in November, that's about my only shot at an UG As that was my last planned DL flight for the year I'll be 1/19...almost disappointed not to make the goose egg.
Old Nov 23, 15, 5:16 pm
was WWads

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior View Post
Got GM status in August. Travel out of DCA, usually on trips leaving Tues-thurs, returning Sat-Sun.

Since becoming GM, I'm 30-40% UG, mostly on segments connecting out of DTW MSP or CVG. Never out of ATL.

Just made PM so hoping for slight improvements . Can always dream, right!?
Yay, DCA upgrade competition.

DCA-ATL is literally impossible. A few days ago, the upgrade list had 50 people on it, for an MD90. Luckily, I was already riding up front, since I did a SDC to that flight from a cheap nonstop to CVG in first.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Nov 23, 15 at 5:28 pm
Old Nov 24, 15, 12:42 pm

Raising my hand.

Pretty sure I didn't get a single upgrade this year. I'm currently looking at other programs. Just not getting much for my loyalty these days and on the routes I fly.
Old Nov 24, 15, 1:00 pm

Does anyone think that with their same travel patterns it would be better on AA or UA? The only situation I could see it improving at all would be people in hubs, if they're now going to take a connection. But if you read the AA/UA boards it doesn't sound like the people over there are swimming in a sea of upgrades either.

The era of frequent upgrades on popular routes is over and it's not coming back. A lot of people need to ratchet down their expectations and think of upgrades as an occasional treat instead of a birthright. You'll be a lot happier. And also it's clear it's easy enough to shop around and see who has the best FCM deal if being in F is that important.
Old Nov 24, 15, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
Will finish year with 42 segments,
1 upgrade GRB-DTW CR9 whoopie!
1 very surprising upgrade RSW-DTW 752.
"bought up" to F with miles a few times at booking as well.
Lots of "free" C+ at the 24hr window, in fact almost 100% of remaining segments.
Will be FO for 1 more year before retirement.
Old Nov 24, 15, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL - GM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by hard8 View Post

Yes, I was Gold this entire year and got upgraded ONCE.

2015 Status: Gold

Number of Segments: 22 (of which I was probably eligible for upgrades on about 14)

MQD: $5,600

2016 Status: Gold (going to finish 2015 with about 52,000 MQMs)

Living in Atlanta blows for (a) upgrade chances as a Gold and (b) not having any real competition.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: