Wiki Posts
Search

BOS>LHR upgrade possibility

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
BOS>LHR upgrade possibility

I am a GM on Delta with enough MQMs to quality for Platinum, but $1300 MQDs short.

I have to fly to London on either Sunday night 12/6 or Monday AM 12/7 for 2 weeks of business meetings starting Tuesday AM in Birmingham.

I'd prefer to fly DL so that I can get Diamond status. I'm in Boston, so I have no status on BA, UA, AA or Virgin.

If I fly Sunday night (first choice), I'd want to get upgraded to First, otherwise, there is no way I can sleep on the flight (and honestly, on the last trip, I barely got 2 hours, but it was some sleep). But, given I'm GM and my company website shows a V fare, is there a shot that I could get upgraded to First? At least right now, there are 10 open seats in First, based upon Delta's website. I can see the following fare availability via AMEX:

No seats is D, I, and Z
9 seats each in B, C (7), L, M, H, J, K, U, T, V, Q, S, Y and X

Or am I just better off going Monday and booking economy plus? Only challenge is that I am going to get off the plane, drive to Birmingham, and immediately have to fall asleep. Not likely.

I do want to revisit the Virgin Lounge at Heathrow on the return leg. What a nice way to end a couple of stressful weeks. Great massage, manicure and breakfast

Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by navi_jen; Nov 19, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well you're not going to get upgraded from a V fare unless Y ends up way oversold and they have to bump people up to the J cabin, and even then DM and PM would be ahead of you for op-ups.

Best bet is to just buy the comfort plus seat. I'm curious however, how you're only a little short of DM Status on MQDs but you aren't a PM?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: Leisure Traveler: Delta DM, Starwood PM50, Global Entry, NEXUS, CLEAR
You're not going to get upgraded. Put that idea at rest and get ready to tough it out.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. The cost differential this trip between economy and first is double than what it was last month...I don't think I can justify spending $10k on a First Class seat.

Ryan..the Diamond/Platinum was a typo I thought I had fixed. I'm $1300 from Platinum, not Diamond. So I'll make Diamond this trip.

Considering I flew from Boston to Thailand 2 years ago in Comfort Plus, a 5.5 hour flight isn't terrible. I can tough it out with 1/2 an Ambien and my trusty travel pillow.

Now I just have to decide which is more painful....Sunday night in C+ (No sleep, but should get decent night's sleep Monday) or just go Monday morning on BA. I just wish Delta had an early morning flight!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:40 pm

Hi -

Does Virgin have a day flight you could take? If you fly them on a DL codeshare do you still get MQD credit?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

No daytime flight on Virgin...night only
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks all. The cost differential this trip between economy and first is double than what it was last month...I don't think I can justify spending $10k on a First Class seat.

Ryan..the Diamond/Platinum was a typo I thought I had fixed. I'm $1300 from Platinum, not Diamond. So I'll make Diamond this trip.

Considering I flew from Boston to Thailand 2 years ago in Comfort Plus, a 5.5 hour flight isn't terrible. I can tough it out with 1/2 an Ambien and my trusty travel pillow.

Now I just have to decide which is more painful....Sunday night in C+ (No sleep, but should get decent night's sleep Monday) or just go Monday morning on BA. I just wish Delta had an early morning flight!
I'm confused. If you're $1300 short for Platinum MQD, how will you make Diamond this trip?

BOS-LHR is a short flight (6ish hours if you're lucky). I find it tough to get enough sleep no matter where I am on that flight. It also arrives into LHR very early; often the first DL flight in.

Could you not fly to JFK and take the day flight on VS?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Does Virgin have a day flight you could take? If you fly them on a DL codeshare do you still get MQD credit?
This is something the OP would need to check very carefully. Plus, he's apparently booking tickets through AmEx, so it could be difficult to control the ticket stock.

I think the OP is counting on getting at least $1300 MQDs (remember that only the base fare and C+ seat fees count, NOT taxes and fees which can be a big part of the ticket price for LHR trips) to make PM. Only a very expensive ticket would earn enough MQDs to get to DM, which would be possible if the OP already has about 115,000 MQMs.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Have you thought about flying straight into BHX with EI? Easy and efficient connections in DUB going in both directions, plus US preclearance on the way back. Their new business class product features fully lie-flat seats if you really need to sleep on the short flight. You can get it for about 3k r/t out of BOS.

Otherwise, I'd book one of the eastbound daytime TATLs into LHR.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by rwoman
BOS-LHR is a short flight (6ish hours if you're lucky). I find it tough to get enough sleep no matter where I am on that flight.
+1 Flight these days is just under 6 hours. If you can sleep at all in economy+, I doubt you would get significantly more rest in business.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
No daytime flight on Virgin...night only
Not to get too far off topic, but did VS once upon a time has a morning BOS-LHR flight?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
You can go to target and get a full size pillow for $5, take it on board as your "personal item" book a window seat you can sleep against. Eye covers, ear plugs, 2 glasses of wine and 50mg of Benadryl man up and get it done! Throw the pillow out when you get to LHR.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:23 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, IC Amb
Originally Posted by nikitta28
You can go to target and get a full size pillow for $5, take it on board as your "personal item" book a window seat you can sleep against. Eye covers, ear plugs, 2 glasses of wine and 50mg of Benadryl man up and get it done! Throw the pillow out when you get to LHR.
Hah! I thought I was the only one who brings a cheap $10 pillow from Target cuz I sleep against the walls on planes!

And I ALWAYS bring an eye shade (Have quite a few from the Business Class amenity kits) and earplugs!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
i heard BOS have cheap M fare to AMS?

If it is not a whole lot more too expensive you can spend 15k miles to get it upgrade.... given that IF there is OP....

Last edited by Felixishim; Nov 20, 2015 at 11:47 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by 355F1
Hah! I thought I was the only one who brings a cheap $10 pillow from Target cuz I sleep against the walls on planes!

And I ALWAYS bring an eye shade (Have quite a few from the Business Class amenity kits) and earplugs!
i will consider this next time if i am traveling with a friend, too much if i am just by myself, don't want to make the person next to me feel weird lol

the other main reason i have never done this is that pillows are so big that it makes my carry on bag have no space..... you have any ideas as of how to make it small?..... like before we get off the plane......
I guess if it just HKG is okay coz my folks will pick me up but going to AMS/CDG and other places when i am visiting though......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.