Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal arrival for early flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Terminal arrival for early flight

Thinking to make sure that a pre Christmas flight goes ok, I booked a 6am flight out of CVG on the 19th. I have literally only flown this early out of Venice and when we got there at the suggested time, nothing was open, not even the desk. Does anyone have enough experience to advise on the time we should arrive for this flight? Flying sky priority in case it makes a difference.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Dia, KM, 2MM, Hilton Dia, Natl Emer Exec. Avis Pres.
Int'l final destination - at least 1 hour.
Domestic final destination - at least 45min.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One hour is the deadline for check in and bag drop before an international flight. For domestic, it's 30-60 minutes, depending on the airport.

Standard DL advice seems to be that you should get to the airport 75 minutes before domestic flights and 2-3 hours for international, but heightened security or holiday crowds suggest more time. Just don't get there before the check in counters and TSA open.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: DL-FO, SPG-Gold, HH-Dia, IHG Spire Elite IC
CVG security opens at 4:00AM. -- Per posted signs I noticed last night, when I returned home at midnight.

Sky Club doesn't open until 5:30AM on Saturday, but I'm fairly certain there will be some staff at the check-in counter no later than 4:30AM
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by marlowe
CVG security opens at 4:00AM. -- Per posted signs I noticed last night, when I returned home at midnight.

Sky Club doesn't open until 5:30AM on Saturday, but I'm fairly certain there will be some staff at the check-in counter no later than 4:30AM
when does DL counter open tho? 2 hours before the 1st flight?
perhaps OP went to the security line that was close and thought there was no TSA but it is at a further part of airport? with DL only has 1 check-in and she went for a quick no 1 lol
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Are you checking a bag?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Leaving out of CVG will be just like a domestic flight BUT .... Returning from Vienna, give yourself PLENTY of time. We got stuck leaving Bratislava driving to Vienna airport when they closed the border due to the Syrian refugees. Vienna is right adjacent to Slovakia. Luckily our driver knew an unmanned crossing area. Europe will be having delays due to Paris attacks and Syrian/economic refugees.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Yes, checking a bag because Christmas gifts not flying out of country this time, just to California for holidays.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
My brother and his daughter flew on 6am flights from CVG a few weeks ago and said that the airport opens at 4:30am. Security can get a little crowded on weekends due to the Allegiant and Frontier flights, but I don't think any of them are that early. He had no problem making his flights.

The airport Marriott recently had a pretty good deal for Park & fly if you prefer to stay at the airport the prior night. Room and 7 nights parking was about $120.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:21 pm

I understand
You have no status priority in line to check bag
You have no TSA
It's xMAS week but it's also a 6am flight?
I'd think walking into (finished parking) the airport at 4:50 would be perfect if you're worried.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for time and inf. Made the Marriott rez-good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.