Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did the Other Shoe Just Drop at AA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Exactly, the more competition, the better off we will all be. The cities of New York, Newark, Washington DC, and Dallas should also face collusion charges for their artificial gate limits, slot system, and perimeter rules. They have no place in a free market and all the do is prohibit competition.
Oh I'm sorry, DAL has just 20 gates. WN has 18 and VX has two. DAL has plenty of room for a bigger terminal but the city of Dallas is in bed with WN and out a cap on the gates. How is that right?
The City of Dallas and Southwest aren't to blame for the 20-gate cap at DAL; the guilty parties are American Airlines, the City of Fort Worth and the DFW Airport bondholders. They're the parties that demanded that the 32-gate DAL master plan be reduced to a max of 20 gates as a condition of their consent to changes in the Wright Amendment. Congress and the President enacted a federal law capping DAL at 20 gates as AA, Fort Worth and DFW requested.

If it were up to Dallas and Southwest, they'd be planning a 50-gate terminal right now, but they can't because of the political compromise in North Texas.

Is the 20 gate cap at DAL good for consumers nationwide? Of course not. But it serves the interests of AA, Fort Worth and DFW - the parties responsible for the Wright Amendment that limited where WN could fly from DAL for all those years.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
The City of Dallas and Southwest aren't to blame for the 20-gate cap at DAL; the guilty parties are American Airlines, the City of Fort Worth and the DFW Airport bondholders. They're the parties that demanded that the 32-gate DAL master plan be reduced to a max of 20 gates as a condition of their consent to changes in the Wright Amendment. Congress and the President enacted a federal law capping DAL at 20 gates as AA, Fort Worth and DFW requested.

If it were up to Dallas and Southwest, they'd be planning a 50-gate terminal right now, but they can't because of the political compromise in North Texas.

Is the 20 gate cap at DAL good for consumers nationwide? Of course not. But it serves the interests of AA, Fort Worth and DFW - the parties responsible for the Wright Amendment that limited where WN could fly from DAL for all those years.
To be fair, WN could have operated to anywhere they wanted from DFW. They were simply unwilling to accept the rules that everyone else abided by. I don't have much sympathy for them.

Indeed, the issue isn't that DAL could have 50 gates, but that it couldn't have 200 gates. This isn't just about DFW, it is about whether the Dallas area was going to be a major hub or not. DAL was never going to be that.

Splitting traffic between airports is sub-optimal. It simply doesn't serve the interests of the city/region as much as a single, very strong airport. They should have shut down DAL decades ago.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
To be fair, WN could have operated to anywhere they wanted from DFW. They were simply unwilling to accept the rules that everyone else abided by. I don't have much sympathy for them.

Indeed, the issue isn't that DAL could have 50 gates, but that it couldn't have 200 gates. This isn't just about DFW, it is about whether the Dallas area was going to be a major hub or not. DAL was never going to be that.

Splitting traffic between airports is sub-optimal. It simply doesn't serve the interests of the city/region as much as a single, very strong airport. They should have shut down DAL decades ago.
Most major cities have two or more airports with commercial air traffic. Atlanta is the glaring exception.

NYC: JFK, LGA, EWR, ISP
DC: DCA, IAD, BWI
Boston: BOS, MHT
Chicago: ORD, MDW
Orlando: MCO, SFB
Miami: MIA, FLL
Houston: IAH, HOU
Dallas: DFW, DAL
Phoenix: PHX, IWA
Los Angeles: LAX, ONT, LGB
San Francisco: SFO, OAK

So there is nothing new with Dallas having two major airports.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:33 pm

Marketing a Comfort+ seat as premium economy class is very much knowingly deceiving the customer. Can you imagine an AF frequent flyer selecting a DL W fare and then being shown to a standard coach seat with a few more inches of legroom?
I'm sorry, when did the definition of premium become AF W or better?

EC is better and thus more premium than the main cabin.

It might not be by a ton, yet(internationally at least) but it is still a more premium product.

You want that IATA to do something they simply can't do.

Anyways, back to the normal crying over Delta.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Most major cities have two or more airports with commercial air traffic. Atlanta is the glaring exception.

Many, maybe even most of your secondary airports are not "major" airports. I mean, IWA? MHT? LGB? SFB? ISP? You can't be serious.

New York is about the only market that supports multiple large airports. Indeed, I'd contend that DC and SF, in particular, have only seen the levels of service (esp. in terms of destinations) when SFO and IAD emerged as sizable hubs.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Philadelphia has a metro area of nearly 500,000 more than ATL and has only one airport: PHL.
And if ONT will count for the LA area, certainly BUR and SNA should count as well, and SJC should count for San Francisco?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Philadelphia has a metro area of nearly 500,000 more than ATL and has only one airport: PHL.
And if ONT will count for the LA area, certainly BUR and SNA should count as well, and SJC should count for San Francisco?
Lots of people in Philadelphia use EWR.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Marketing a Comfort+ seat as premium economy class is very much knowingly deceiving the customer. Can you imagine an AF frequent flyer selecting a DL W fare and then being shown to a standard coach seat with a few more inches of legroom?
And after being shown to their seat, the FA then graciously stows there bags, hangs up their jacket, and even takes off the customers shoes for them, all with a welcoming smile.

Oh wait, wrong airline.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Completely agree with you. My post was merely to correct readywhenyouare's incorrect assertion that WN and Dallas are the primary culprits for the 20-gate restrictions at DAL.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Quote:

I'd add SNA to Los Angeles and PBI to MIA but bounce SFB (Orlando) and IWA (Phoenix)...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I'd add SNA to Los Angeles and PBI to MIA but bounce SFB (Orlando) and IWA (Phoenix)...
I thought about SNA but thought the snooty people of Orange County, CA would throw a fit. I'm not sure about PBI, maybe but it's quite a drive. SFB has a large Allegiant and discount European carrier presence that primarily serves Orlando.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlcomm

I thought about SNA but thought the snooty people of Orange County, CA would throw a fit. I'm not sure about PBI, maybe but it's quite a drive. SFB has a large Allegiant and discount European carrier presence that primarily serves Orlando.
I live in PBI country (20 minutes) but drive to MIA (1 hour door-to-door) all the time for the AA directs (and the Centurion Lounge), lol...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990

TBH, personally waiting for the day when tons of fifth-freedom routes will be started by different European/ME3/Asian carriers WITHIN the US. It'd be lovely to see the US3's (especially DL's) reaction then. But that's wishing for the moon and will probably never happen!
I fully support this and wait for the day I can fly DL, UA, and AA within Europe or Asia. How do you know the US3 would not prove popular flying LON-IST, PEK-PVG, or HEL-BCN?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, most major metro areas have more than one viable, full-service commercial airport where the airports are reasonable substitutes. Notable exceptions include Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix (Mesa is NOT a viable, full-service alternative), Denver, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, MSP, Indianapolis, Columbus, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa and, I'd argue, Boston (an airport in New Hampshire isn't a viable, full-service alternative).

Southwest's former secondary airports (used before WN began to love the crowded expensive primary airports) like MHT aren't really viable full-service alternatives, and neither are the airports like Mesa where Allegiant flies a couple times a week from a few cities.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Yes, most major metro areas have more than one viable, full-service commercial airport where the airports are reasonable substitutes. Notable exceptions include Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix (Mesa is NOT a viable, full-service alternative), Denver, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, MSP, Indianapolis, Columbus, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa and, I'd argue, Boston (an airport in New Hampshire isn't a viable, full-service alternative).

Southwest's former secondary airports (used before WN began to love the crowded expensive primary airports) like MHT aren't really viable full-service alternatives, and neither are the airports like Mesa where Allegiant flies a couple times a week from a few cities.
I would argue Tampa also has MCO. I'm surprised that BA operates TPA with MCO being so close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.