Community
Wiki Posts
Search

405 miles from Diamond - advice?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC when DL did the big LGA expansion, there were at least some flights to some upstate NY destinations like BUF that did use RJs with FC. I'm surprised that they're 100% CRJ-200s now.

If the OP is willing to spend a small amount of money doing a MR, given rollover, it would be better to try, within reason, to maximize the MQMs that one earns for the money spent or even to spend a little bit more to get a bunch more MQMs for rollover.

Alternatively, instead of looking for a really cheap way to get the 405 MQMs (actually 1000 assuming a DL RT), think about a nice little fun weekend trip. SEA is likely to be relatively cheap given the DL versus AS competition there.

It is pretty low!!! as LAX as well.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by knoa_knows
So I find myself 405 miles from hitting diamond this year. I have been diamond since it was added as a level, and it also coincided with when I started my heavy traveling and started making status at all. So I have never been anything but diamond (except during the climb up to diamond). My question is do I go for diamond or just take platinum next year and have almost 50k banked for next year. What do those longtime people who have had both think?

Considerations:

I am at a job where I travel less now, so diamond the following year might not be guaranteed, but as I use a delta reserve I get 50,000 MQM automatically, I will usually be platinum with my regular flying.

I am in the NYC area for what it's worth.

I fly with family alot so having diamond has been quite useful for upgrades, sky club, etc...
If you don't like additional benefits, stay PM. However, if you do like additional benefits (like GUCs) by all means make DM.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dk240t
So did you decline a chance to earn 400 MQMs that would have changed your status for the year or did you just change the subject again with an irrelevant point?
I've already earned DM for 2016 so it would go into rollover and might affect my status later. I also have another 5 upcoming opportunities to do the same; and I rejected a MR at a net $0.02 or so because Delta is making status not worth while.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
If you plan on taking a long haul trip next year I'd go for Diamond just for the GUC's.

You have to plan in advance and be flexible, but I've always been able to use mine since they started giving them out - and IMO this is the last "true" reason to achieve DM status with all the changes occuring.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC when DL did the big LGA expansion, there were at least some flights to some upstate NY destinations like BUF that did use RJs with FC. I'm surprised that they're 100% CRJ-200s now.
It's surprising because whoever in this thread suggested that BUF, SYR, BTV etc don't have FC is dead wrong.

LGA-BUF is all CR7, CR9 or even mainline on the 717.
JFK-BUF is all CR7, CR9.

Five of the seven NYC-SYR flights are on CR7, CR9 or even 175s.

Two of the four LGA-BTW are CR7.

I'll stop now.

Last edited by iflyalexair; Nov 19, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
It's surprising because whomever in this thread suggested that BUF, SYR, BTV etc don't have FC is dead wrong.

LGA-BUF is all CR7, CR9 or even mainline on the 717.
JFK-BUF is all CR7, CR9.

Five of the seven NYC-SYR flights are on CR7, CR9 or even 175s.

Two of the four LGA-BTW are CR7.

I'll stop now.
That's what I thought for BUF/SYR-NYC and vv.

AFAIK ITH is still CRJ-200s, at least on the DTW route. Some of the flights on SYR-DTW and vv are similarly very small aircraft but some (early morning and late night) were mainline when I last checked although SYR-DTW and vv was all DC-9s in the PMNW days.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by sethb
I've already earned DM for 2016 so it would go into rollover and might affect my status later. I also have another 5 upcoming opportunities to do the same; and I rejected a MR at a net $0.02 or so because Delta is making status not worth while.
I agree to this and therefor more reason for OP to go for DM!

coz DL Medallion benefit is on a downward trend,

if as OP said 2016 he will probably make PM MQM with his regular travel + Amex DL MQM bonus in 2016 for 2017 year, which then with the 49k MQM rollover, OP will face the same question which possibly as we know 2017 benefit will probably be worst then 2016 lol with it current trend >.<

Last edited by Felixishim; Nov 19, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.