Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Removed my me due to redundancy. Shoulda read ahead...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Hit up every pharmacy in your town and buy $500 Vanilla VISA gift cards to get your AMEX spend up to $25k. You can convert this to money orders which can then be deposited into your bank account or sent to AMEX as payment.
I'm intrigued by this. I'm also assuming this is how some "DM's" earn their status a lot easier than others? Can one purchase a money order with a gift card? I thought banks/money lenders/credit card companies caught onto this?

OPS 5
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by RetroJetSet

I have one more upcoming Delta RT in domestic F but I'm not sure exactly how many MQDs it will get (is there a way to check?)

So if paying for MQMs is the only option it seems like it's not worth it - 12.5 cents per mile at best is not a good deal for the marginal benefits of Silver.
Open my wallet and look at the receipt. Base fare and fees/taxes are all spelled out. If domestic it is just the basic fare; I don't think there is any YR on domestic, right?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mattya9
Can one purchase a money order with a gift card?
Most definitely. YMMV depending on where you live, but it's worth giving it a shot if you're desperate.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:45 pm

Most definitely. YMMV depending on where you live, but it's worth giving it a shot if you're desperate.
Very interesting! So if I'm short a couple hundred dollars to reach PM (I have enough MQMs) I could go that route; purchase a gift card at WLgreens or CVS, use that to purchase a money order, and the. Use the money order to pay off the card, yes?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:46 pm

Couple hundred to meet the AMEX waiver or MQD? This will only help you increase spend on your AMEX.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:49 pm

Couple hundred to meet the AMEX waiver or MQD? This will only help you increase spend on your AMEX.
Not the waiver but to get to $7500 MQD's. I have enough miles.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 2:58 pm

MQD are only earned by flying on Delta tickets. No way around that.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:00 pm

MQD are only earned by flying on Delta tickets. No way around that.
You're right. I'm an idiot. Worked all night and brain functionis clearly not at a high level right now. Haha.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

The easiest and cheapest way is to just buy a $25,000 refundable airline ticket. You can get a refund after the $25,000 spend gives your MQD waiver.

Alternatively buy 10 $2500 tickets, and refund as your 2015 spend dictates

You are basically then prepaying your amex bill in 2015
Within the rules
Whether your moral compass thinks it is ethical is up to you
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Alternatively buy 10 $2500 tickets, and refund as your 2015 spend dictates
Done this many times, not necessarily on purpose. Every credit to your AMEX counts as a payment. This makes it very easy to push off paying your statement, although the balance keeps increasing quite fast.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:35 pm

So as long as it see's a $25,000 bill (or separate purchases totaling 25k) on your Amex card it'll credit you the MQD waiver? I would think DL would have some sort of system in place to notice a refund for those tickets.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:39 pm

You'd be wrong then

However one can do the second option and use the $2500 credits to pay the card, so each month the credit balance is less than $2500
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:33 am

About 400 MQDs shy of Silver Medallion - Any suggestions?

Hello all,
I saw today that I am $430 shy of meeting the MQD requirement to qualify for Silver Medallion status (did a number of flights on Alaska where I got the MQMs but not the MQDs). I have a trip planned at Christmas, but the ticket was booked with Skymiles, so that won't help me reach the limit. Does anyone have any suggestions aside from flying somewhere, as I don't really have enough time to do that? Also, is it even worth it?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
About 400 MQDs shy of Silver Medallion - Any suggestions?

Find a flight costing around 350/400$. You mqds for upgrades to comfort plus etc.

It's a mqd run!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.