Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Medallion Qualification Dollars or MQDs: MQD Requirement for Medallion Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
No, don't expect to get credit for that as goodwill. There is no cost effective way to do this. You're short $900 in MQDs, there's nothing you can really use to make that cost anything other than $900. It's not like trying to earn MQMs where you can work to reduce the CPM. The only way to get around the MQD requirement is to spend $25k on a Delta Amex card. If you're within range of being able to do that, there are ways to manufacture spend. Or you can move out of the country and update your address, as non-US members don't have to fulfill MQD requirements.
If my math is right, OP is short $1100 MQDs.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would generally agree, but OP plans to fly DL more next year. Conceivably 50 or more checked bag fees could be saved before OP reaches FO next year, assuming no DL credit card. The same would apply to fees to reserve seats, etc.
Get a Delta gold credit card. Comes with free checked bags.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
The flight in march, if booked on delta, will yield MQD's for 2015, not for this year.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Get a Delta gold credit card. Comes with free checked bags.
I'm counting 25 RTs with one segment under 500 miles in each direction. One checked bag per trip, exactly what FOs get for free.

OP might have liquids or tools that must be checked.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

I'm counting 25 RTs with one segment under 500 miles in each direction. One checked bag per trip, exactly what FOs get for free.

OP might have liquids or tools that must be checked.
Your point? Getting the DL Gold AMEX is cheaper than spending $1,1000...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Your point? Getting the DL Gold AMEX is cheaper than spending $1,1000...
I think a post was edited or deleted here questioning the number fifty. I seem to remember the word FIFTY in all caps.

Of course it would be cheaper to get the DL AmEX, but maybe OP wants the phone priority, slight chance of upgrades and free C+ seats, etc Not everyone wants or can get a DL AmEx card..
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:55 pm
Suspended

I think a post was edited or deleted here questioning the number fifty. I seem to remember the word FIFTY in all caps.

Of course it would be cheaper to get the DL AmEX, but maybe OP wants the phone priority, slight chance of upgrades and free C+ seats, etc Not everyone wants or can get a DL AmEx card..
Ah yes. But DL AmEx + buy-up might be cheaper than $1,100. Need more info from OP to determine that.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Just to clarify two things - my VS flight was in March 2014, so it would have counted (Doh!).

I have a Platinum Delta Amex, but I think it would be difficult to get up to $25,000 in spending in the rest of the year (although I am open to suggestions).

I have one more upcoming Delta RT in domestic F but I'm not sure exactly how many MQDs it will get (is there a way to check?)

So if paying for MQMs is the only option it seems like it's not worth it - 12.5 cents per mile at best is not a good deal for the marginal benefits of Silver.

Last edited by RetroJetSet; Dec 9, 2014 at 3:04 pm Reason: Consolidation. Removing repetition.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:13 pm

Easy way to check MQDs is to do a dummy booking for your route and fare class; the exact dates don't matter. After you've selected the flights, MQMs will appear on the left side of the page, almost across from the cost numbers for the ticket. You can also click on the flight numbers when searching; a box will show the actual distance DL uses, which you can convert into MQMs. Most FC tickets earn 150% MQMs but FULL F gets 200%. This is assuming you don't have a consolidator ticket, codesahre, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Hit up every pharmacy in your town and buy $500 Vanilla VISA gift cards to get your AMEX spend up to $25k. You can convert this to money orders which can then be deposited into your bank account or sent to AMEX as payment.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Easy way to check MQDs
....is to look at your receipt and see what the amount of the fare portion is.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfish
....is to look at your receipt and see what the amount of the fare portion is.
That's after you've purchased the ticket. Before purchase, MQDs are displayed if you know where to look.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
How much will you be traveling domestically by yourself in coach vs. internationally and with your wife in first? It doesn't sound like FO will be worth it, depending on that breakout.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:48 pm

Saidoh,
I'm projecting my travel on Delta will look something like this in 2015:

Low end: 4 domestic first RT, 8 domestic economy, 2 intercontinental business
High end: 6 domestic first RT, 12 domestic economy, 4 intercontinental business
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by RetroJetSet
Saidoh,
I'm projecting my travel on Delta will look something like this in 2015:

Low end: 4 domestic first RT, 8 domestic economy, 2 intercontinental business
High end: 6 domestic first RT, 12 domestic economy, 4 intercontinental business
I see. So we're talking a little over half of projected travel in which the FO benefits would come into play. I lean towards voting that you do nothing, but one tidbit I almost forgot about is that if you don't make at least silver, all those MQMs you've got are out the window. It wouldn't be the end of the world if you dropped down to kettle, since you've got the AMEX to cover bags and boarding, but it's just something to consider. IDK how far off you are from $25k, but perhaps you could just MS the hell out of your AMEX (Serve would help but this late in the game the most you could get out of it is $1,000), and then not only would MQDs become irrelevant, but you'd get a bonus of 10k RDMs, plus 10k MQMs to rollover. But I would definitely recommend against MRing or buying up, since with the first/business that you'll be doing (and extra MQM and MQD you'll be earning) you should reach status again in no time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.