Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Comfort Plus C+ seat upgrade in-air sales now open on domestic mainline Delta flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort Plus C+ seat upgrade in-air sales now open on domestic mainline Delta flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:26 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
Originally Posted by injera
I'd still love to know - is anyone actually buying economy comfort seats on short flights? On JFK->NRT or JFK->LHR, maybe even JFK->LAX I can see it. However I'd be shocked if many, if any kettles are paying an extra $39 to upgrade to Economy Comfort on LGA->ORD, MSP->DEN, ATL->DFW or any other 2 hour flight.

That said i'm all for kicking seat poachers out of EC.
I had a few $$$ left as part of my Ritz credit card reimbursement and bought it fom ORD-DTW just for fun.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether people on E class fares will be able to pay on board to move to C+ seats.

I also wonder whether nonrevs will be required to pay to move into C+.
One of my friends is nonrev eligible on DL and has said previously that if there is a seat in C+ available when he is cleared, he is usually assigned to it. The same happens at UA and AA for their non-revs. From my experience, they're given the best available seat at the time of clearance.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by United747
I had a few $$$ left as part of my Ritz credit card reimbursement and bought it fom ORD-DTW just for fun.

One of my friends is nonrev eligible on DL and has said previously that if there is a seat in C+ available when he is cleared, he is usually assigned to it. The same happens at UA and AA for their non-revs. From my experience, they're given the best available seat at the time of clearance.
Yes, I know, but what if for some reason there's an empty C+ seat and a nonrev who isn't in C+? Will the nonrev be charged the C+ fee? If not, people could wonder why not.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 8:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, QR Silver, DL Silver
Yes, I know, but what if for some reason there's an empty C+ seat and a nonrev who isn't in C+? Will the nonrev be charged the C+ fee? If not, people could wonder why not.
I would lean towards them not being charged, but can't say for sure. Maybe DL just won't allow them to move up in that circumstance?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Ok, I'm going to stray way far over into politically incorrect land here, but way should I pay additional money to pay for a new seat because a random large person is sitting next to me who is oozing over into my seat? In fairness, the random large person should either pay for an additional seat so that they can ooze comfortably without impinging on others, or they should pay for me to be accommodated to a new seat.
I thought the same thing after reading OP
Old Nov 5, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If DL is now going to try selling C+ seats on board, it would make sense for GAs to leave them empty when possible: no NRSAs in C+ when there are other seats, not using C+ to seat families together, not assigning those without seats to C+ etc. whenever there are nonC+ regular or preferred seats available. If this means that there are more likely to be empty C+ seats, this will improve the experience.

I think I like this. Can we call it C+M for C+ Monetization?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They might wonder, but they might wonder why an elite is moved up for free also. Regardless both are entitled to sit their for free.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat; AA; UA; USAir; HHonors; Priority Club
I think this is the point:

Before: Sorry, you can't move into C + - they are premium seats

Now: Yes, you may move into C + for $$$ or any other seat for Free
Old Nov 5, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They might wonder, but they might wonder why an elite is moved up for free also. Regardless both are entitled to sit their for free.
True, but DL doesn't give stuff to nonrevs for free that DL can profitably sell to a revenue passenger.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
True, but DL doesn't give stuff to nonrevs for free that DL can profitably sell to a revenue passenger.
Yes, but at that point they were entitled to sit there when the plane took off. If someone is willing to pay on board to upgrade do they kick the non-Rev already assigned the seat out? If non revs didn't get assigned empty C+ your comment would be more valid.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver
This seems like such a weird thing to put in the effort to make possible, because even FOs can get C+ for free at T-24 hours, so presumably no one with that status or higher would ever board a plane in standard economy unless they valued that standard economy seat more than a C+ seat (exit row or seat next to a friend vs C+ middle, for example). In that case, they still wouldn't want to upgrade mid-flight. Cabin service starts pretty quickly after 10,000 feet, too.
Right, as a FO I recently had exit row aisle booked on a RT and did not up to C+ because only middle seats left at check-in. But unlike as some have posited, I did not have a large/wide guy in the middle seat, but in both cases I had guys whose elbows tended to exceed their seat capacity. Would I have paid in-flight to jump up a couple rows to a C+ middle? No, I don't think I would have.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
On the contrary, I'm pretty sure it is a common occurrence to have available C+ seats and medallions sitting in standard Y at takeoff.
It happens all the times people who are sitting in C+ are upgraded at the gate. Nothing easier than finding medallions sitting in standard coach on the same flight.

In such cases, will they be authorized to grab those seats for free, maybe by showing their skymiles card ?
How are the FA's going to set priority when a few medallions (and non-medallions willing to pay) are competing for the same C+ seat ?
I can already imagine the huge mess if a first come first served method is used...
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
They were offering it on DL 565 SIN NRT this am as there were quite a few empties. They ask for boarding pass of the self upgraded C+ pax and demanded payment. This was followed by their walk of shame.
There were no takers for the on-board C+ buy up so I was able to keep my C+ lie flat (18CDE) on the 763.
No one tried to pull any stunts like this United passenger?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-e-seat.html
Old Nov 6, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes, but at that point they were entitled to sit there when the plane took off. If someone is willing to pay on board to upgrade do they kick the non-Rev already assigned the seat out? If non revs didn't get assigned empty C+ your comment would be more valid.
My guess is that one impact of the new policy is that nonrevs won't be assigned C+ seats if there are regular coach seats available. Since they're just special seats and not a higher cabin class, I would guess that C+ is not an entitlement for NRSAs, including employees traveling for leisure and to commute to their jobs as well as buddy pass riders.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
More from Delta and OP

My guess is that one impact of the new policy is that nonrevs won't be assigned C+ seats if there are regular coach seats available. Since they're just special seats and not a higher cabin class, I would guess that C+ is not an entitlement for NRSAs, including employees traveling for leisure and to commute to their jobs as well as buddy pass riders.
I asked about this but it did not fit with my blog post. I think not for now, but could happen later on. Asked and was told by Delta rep:

Will this impact NRSA folks access to C+ seats due to new sales revenue stream?
Available Delta Comfort+ seats will be assigned to eligible passengers using the airport standby list
Plus, for now, we know GA Shena events happen all the time including giving folks 1st class open seats when 1st has "checked in full" but does not board full.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Plus, for now, we know GA Shena events happen all the time including giving folks 1st class open seats when 1st has "checked in full" but does not board full.
That's a mighty bold statement. Do you have proof? Otherwise it almost a libelous statement. Everytime someone posts about Shena in the forum, we usually find there's a perfectly valid reason for whY the person didn't get upgraded. I've yet to see one case were a valid explanation wasn't offered. Does that mean it doesn't happen at all? No, of course not. However no were close to even on a regular occurrence, much less all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.