Wiki Posts
Search

MSP Ground Delay Programs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

Has anyone been noticing the fact that MSP has been having absurd amount of ground delay programs lately? 7/8 of my flights through there in the last month have had delays, and it's worse cause those flights aren't padded nearly as much as the NYC ones so much less room for error.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:43 am

It has been very windy in MSP recently. The fall weather is going haywire here. 85 degrees on last Sunday followed by 48 on Tuesday.

That could be part of the issue.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Has anyone been noticing the fact that MSP has been having absurd amount of ground delay programs lately? 7/8 of my flights through there in the last month have had delays, and it's worse cause those flights aren't padded nearly as much as the NYC ones so much less room for error.
I must be in the lucky camp. My flights to PDX and PHX left on time and arrived early on my return trip.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
CALLING MSPecon !!!

She lives there! 《I think》

Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:16 pm

The FAA has prohibited the use of runway 35 arrivals while runways 30L and 30R are in use, which could contribute to more delays as they are effectively down one runway during those operations.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by airindia787
The FAA has prohibited the use of runway 35 arrivals while runways 30L and 30R are in use, which could contribute to more delays as they are effectively down one runway during those operations.
This isn't the case any more. The runway can be used, but in a very specific way that does allow for lower capacity than there used to be. And the conflict is actually with 30L only. 30R can have arrivals simultaneous with 35. It has to do with the point in space where the two runways intersect. 30L is close enough that it triggered the new configuration.

To OPs question, the runways' decreased capacity has something to do with it, but winds have been crazy. My CRJ landed in 30 mph winds last night. I guess I'll just say it was a little sporty.

My dad's also a FF and we both agree that our most dramatic landings ever have been in MSP, and it's often in the fall when the weather changes.

Anyway, add up slightly lower air field capacity, strong winds and what I've heard is bigger peaks (and conversely lower valleys) in Delta's schedule leads to some ground delays. Mid-afternoon, from what I understand, is the worst.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kop84
It has been very windy in MSP recently. The fall weather is going haywire here. 85 degrees on last Sunday followed by 48 on Tuesday.
In other words, typical fall weather.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:01 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Nothing out of the ordinary -
These are not the droids you are looking for -
It is business as usual at good ole MSP -
You no like wait 10 minutes it can be changed for the worse -
What's not to like about multiple runway options -
Yes there is a problem with multiple runways in use but it was best explained by jrkmsp - add note that runway 4/22 can throw the whole shebang into a tissy -
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
None of my last 10+ flights this month were delayed.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
I must be in the lucky camp. My flights to PDX and PHX left on time and arrived early on my return trip.
Leaving isn't an issue, inbound is another issue.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
My RST-MSP departure was delayed over a half hour today. Weather was beautiful.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite

"Low visibility" according to the GDP for today.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by suvayanr
"Low visibility" according to the GDP for today.
Bright sunshine and no wind in RST and MSP today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.