Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL and AA No More Interline Agreement; Then Interline Agreement Returns January 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
Does that apply on separate tickets?
No, it only applies to previously issued single tickets. As this was issued after the cut off as two tickets, DL should have informed the passenger to claim the luggage at LAX and recheckin with American.

Airlines love to blame each other in situations like these and the passengers are the ones who get caught up in the crossfire.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The first mistake is the assumption that the passenger had a single ticket. He did not. He had two tickets, T/Velocity simply booked one itinerary with two tickets and the passenger never bothered to look and see that there were two tickets.
Or Travelocity didn't make it clear it was two separate tickets. The average passenger doesn't know the difference between a single ticket and a single itinerary that's two tickets.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Or Travelocity didn't make it clear it was two separate tickets. The average passenger doesn't know the difference between a single ticket and a single itinerary that's two tickets.
Delta should not have accepted the luggage as checked-through, though.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sethb
Does that apply on separate tickets?
As long as it's on one PNR it should still result in bags transferring. The intention was that it would only be for previously issued tickets, but according to DL agent the system would need to be reprogrammed to stop it. Thus for the few that end up with DL/AA on one PNR but two tickets it will interline bags till Sept 16.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by fti
And standard protocol says that you need to issue the ticket using one of the carriers in the reservation (and for international flights, the airline being used for the overseas flight).
Is that always the case? I remember being surprised (this was years ago) when I got some HY flights issued on a 012 (NW) ticket stock. That was back in the days when paper tickets still existed - the last printed paper ticket I had. I think that then for US origin (it was JFK-RIX/RIX-JFK, flights HY1 and HY2) may be HY had NW be its US ticketing carrier.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Is that always the case? I remember being surprised (this was years ago) when I got some HY flights issued on a 012 (NW) ticket stock. That was back in the days when paper tickets still existed - the last printed paper ticket I had. I think that then for US origin (it was JFK-RIX/RIX-JFK, flights HY1 and HY2) may be HY had NW be its US ticketing carrier.
It depends what is meant by "standard protocol". For a TA, the reservation system will suggest a plating carrier. Usually that would be the carrier who created the first fare on the ticket, provided that carrier has interline agreements with all the other carriers, and provided there are no restrictions on that carrier issuing the ticket that might arise from other fare rules.

You don't have to use the plating carrier suggested. However if you overrule the choice it can get complicated.

If you book directly with an airline your ticket will be on their stock. I have ticketed many all-AA itineraries on 125 BA stock for no other reason than I have BA reservations on speed dial.

However only AA can issue instant upgrade fares (on 001 AA stock). So if I have a circle trip that includes instant upgrade fares, it's back to AA, even if every other flight is BA-numbered.

Another example, I used to plate almost all of my intra-EU sky team tickets on DL 006 stock. That's because AF/KL charged a credit card fee when buying through their websites but DL did not.

Last edited by Calchas; Jan 6, 2016 at 7:01 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
Well, I just lived the negative impact of not having an Interline agreement with AA. I just flew in BNE-LAX on VA and the flight was 7 hours late. There were two options to get me back to BOS, an AA flight leaving in 1.5 hours and a DL flight leaving in 7 hours. There was nothing else. I was told they would not put me on the AA flight because they no longer Interline with them. After a 7 hour delay in BNE I was expected to wait another 7 hours in LAX. I was livid that after an epic service fail on VA that DL was indifferent. I am PM. This was all purchased on one ticket.

I personally purchased the AA flight and the walk up fare was only $258.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by rcurry01
Well, I just lived the negative impact of not having an Interline agreement with AA. I just flew in BNE-LAX on VA and the flight was 7 hours late. There were two options to get me back to BOS, an AA flight leaving in 1.5 hours and a DL flight leaving in 7 hours. There was nothing else. I was told they would not put me on the AA flight because they no longer Interline with them. After a 7 hour delay in BNE I was expected to wait another 7 hours in LAX. I was livid that after an epic service fail on VA that DL was indifferent. I am PM. This was all purchased on one ticket.

Did you get a refund for the unflown Delta flight?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
Did you get a refund for the unflown Delta flight?
It hasn't come through yet, but I will. I'm not sure the value of the BOS-LAX segment, but I expect it to be close to a wash.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was recently flying ORD/MSP/PIT. ORD/MSP was delayed. Nothing else available to get me home that nite on DL. The ORD SC would have offered UA, but, it was sold out (verified F0Y0 by EF & KVS). I saw an AA flight ORD/PIT nonstop, and was told the exact same thing as you - that they don't have an agreement with AA.

In my case, I was more than happy to stay another nite in Chicago and fly DL home the next day. LUV Chicago!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, you might want to ask WN pax how they've felt the last few days. Having UA/AS options (and WS from Canada) is certainly better than nothing at all.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

If the VA checkin was open that's who should have rebooked you onto AA. The operating carrier that brought you into LAX late is the one responsible for rebooking you. If nothing else call VA reservations and get them to rebook you.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If the VA checkin was open that's who should have rebooked you onto AA. The operating carrier that brought you into LAX late is the one responsible for rebooking you. If nothing else call VA reservations and get them to rebook you.
I tried them too. No luck, they also told me that they did not have an agreement with AA. They told me, VX, UA, AS, or DL.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
rcurry01 didn't specify if he had a DL-issued ticket. That wouldn't change rebooking responsibility but it would preclude an interline to AA.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

The lack of interline agreement is, unfortunately, full and total and impacts everyone (medallion and not) equally. It's certainly a loss for both DL and AA customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.