Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Expiration

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
GUC Expiration

Hey everyone - I have 4 GUC certs with an expiration date of January 4, 2016. Some changes in my job and some other personal events have made it so I did not use them as expected in the year.

My question about the GUC Expiration is if they need to be USED by that date or REQUESTED by that date. I am wondering if I can book a ticket for travel later in January and get them on the reservation now or if they would be no good.

I feel like I need to use them even if it is just to fly somewhere and come home.

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Travel must be completed prior to expiration.

The old SWU only had to be ticketed before expiration.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
dilbertsdaddy is correct.

I earned Diamond "extra perks" sections in 2014, but I have not made my selections -- the four GUC's and the 25,000 miles yet. I'm waiting until I need to book an overseas flight or Feb 28, 2016 to make my selections just so I don't find myself in the OP's situation.

The reason for the Feb 28 date is that's when 2014 choices disappear if not selected.

The OP *can* use a GUC on a domestic flight. Kind of a waste, but better than letting it expire unused.

Last edited by Bowgie; Aug 28, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
dilbertsdaddy is correct.

I earned Diamond "extra perks" sections in 2014, but I have not made my selections -- the four GUC's and the 25,000 miles yet. I'm waiting until I need to book an overseas flight or Feb 28, 2016 to make my selection just so I get find myself in the OP's situation.

The reason for the Feb 28 date is that's when 2014 choices disappear if not selected.

The OP *can* use a GUC on a domestic flight. Kind of a waste, but better than letting it expire unused.
Does the switch to the definition of DL's benefits year start in 2016? If so, the deadline could be January 31, 2016 rather than February 29, 2016. [I think 2016 is a leap year.]
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the switch to the definition of DL's benefits year start in 2016? If so, the deadline could be January 31, 2016 rather than February 29, 2016. [I think 2016 is a leap year.]
That may be right. January 31 would be safer unless Delta very clearly says the old Feb deadline holds. In any case, bad idea to wait until the very last because the unexpected can always happen -- power outages, giant computer-eating weasels, whatever.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
That may be right. January 31 would be safer unless Delta very clearly says the old Feb deadline holds. In any case, bad idea to wait until the very last because the unexpected can always happen -- power outages, computer-eating weasels, whatever.
You're right about the last minute risk of blizzards, power failures, delta.dumb IT failures, internet outages, etc. This stuff needs to be done online using delta.dumb. You can't phone the DM line in an emergency to make your choice benefit selections.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Rats....thank you...OP (me) needs to scramble!! I will NOT let them go unused!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by orr333
Rats....thank you...OP (me) needs to scramble!! I will NOT let them go unused!
Don't feel bad, I am using all mine for domestic flights this year as none of my international flights were available. Oh, and none of my flights over 2 hours are currently available

Already burned one and had a FO sitting next to me...so I think I would have cleared anyway unless he bought F. Two PM's in front of me as well.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
I feel like such a dolt picking my GUC's so early in January... Guess i'll just have to burn them on some trips to nowhere or maybe a MR... :/
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I have a GUC that expires on 12/16/15 accepted for waitlisting on DTW-NRT-SIN, departing DTW 12/16, NRT 12/16.
Flight actually arrives in SIN just after midnight on 12/17. Wonder if it may not apply because of that?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
I have a GUC that expires on 12/16/15 accepted for waitlisting on DTW-NRT-SIN, departing DTW 12/16, NRT 12/16.
Flight actually arrives in SIN just after midnight on 12/17. Wonder if it may not apply because of that?
All that matters is that t he flight us scheduled for the 16th. Actually you should arrive in SIN on the 18th. Flight from NRT-SIN will be on 17t . Thus NRT-SIN shouldn't upgrade but DTW-NRT should.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Since the trip is in progress and the GUC will be getting used they may allow the upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by mot29
I think you need to look at the dates again. USA-NRT DL flights arrive the next day, in the afternoon. You arrive in SIN after midnight the following day. So if you leave the USA on the 16th, you land in NRT on the 17th. Your flight to SIN departs on the 17th and arrives on the 18th.

I'm not sure whether you can use the GUC for the NRT-SIN in this case. I assume that this is not only on a single PNR/ticket but also ticketed so that USA-NRT-SIN is a single fare component rather than a broken fare. In this case, I think theree's hope for it to work.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
All that matters is that t he flight us scheduled for the 16th. Actually you should arrive in SIN on the 18th. Flight from NRT-SIN will be on 17t . Thus NRT-SIN shouldn't upgrade but DTW-NRT should.
My mistyping -- DTW-NRT on 12/15, NRT-SIN on 12/16, arrival in SIN just after midnight on 12/17.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That may be right. January 31 would be safer unless Delta very clearly says the old Feb deadline holds. . . .
My RUC's in "my wallet" show a late-Feb. expiry date. I doubt GUC's expire faster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.