Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do FA know if you booked in Z or J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Ahah! Some 10 years ago there was a thread right here on the DL forum where people affirmed that if you ordered a kosher meal you were more likely to be singled out for an opup since DL did not have to change the catering load.
The corollary was always order Kosher because it is of a quality intermediate between Y and J.
Tried only once: had to sit in the back and eat a meal of intermediate quality between Y and unedible.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then the implication is that when the J cabin is full with revenue passengers (assume no OPUPs), those paying J passengers cannot be getting the appropriate level of service and attention to which they are entitled and for which they have paid? Is this a case of the FAs complaining that J cabins are understaffed or admitting that they don't give the appropriate level of attention and service on many flights?
A cabin full of people who paid for J will have mostly people who fly J a lot. They aren't demanding to taste every wine, they've had many chances and know what they like. They are also likely to treat it as a way to travel between two distant places, not a special opportunity that might never be repeated. So they don't require the maximum amount of service. (The last few J flights I took, I slept pretty much the entire flight.)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sharktums
We were OpUp'd on an intra-Asia flight on Delta and told as soon as we boarded not to expect a business class meal in a sort of rude tone. It didn't matter to us, we just wanted to sleep anyways but I thought it was an odd tone to use. Granted I didn't pay for the seat but I wasn't going to be obnoxious or anything! Later in the flight another attendant came over saying that they did have extra meals if we wanted but we were fine and didn't bother.
It sounds like they catered for the number of expected/paid J pax, so there might not have been enough meals for the op-ups.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ruckzac
Agreed. I completely understand offering paid J flyers their choice of meal before offering OpUp J flyers theirs. However, I'd be critical if an airline ran out of J catering altogether. They should be managing service levels as if the cabin was completely full with paid customers.
That would usually waste money; they might not know they even have op-ups until the last minute when the expected number of no-shows doesn't materialize.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In most cases where there are many OPUPs, the airline is certainly aware a couple days in advance that the flight seems to be badly oversold in coach and relatively empty in business class. Of course there can be IROPs that cause rebookings onto the flight, but those are likely to be divided between coach and business class so that they're not a cause of (many) OPUPs.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Do FAs get a manifest before boarding and a meal order sheet after closing the flight? I am asking this because last month I was on a flight where only 2 of us had assigned seats in the front cabin up until boarding time. The two of us boarded, and a few minutes later, 7-8 passengers also boarded in the front cabin. The FA came with the manifest to ask me and the other gentleman our meal choices and addressed us by our last names, however, he asked the rest of the passengers for their last name along with their choice and apologized because "he did not have them in his manifest and did not have the final meal order sheet".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.