Do FA know if you booked in Z or J?

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Do FA know if you booked in Z or J?

Just a quick questions understanding the basics.. Do flight attendants (Delta FA to be more specific) know if you booked in Z, G, J or if it is an upgrade with miles and does it have a difference in your inflight experience? I am pretty sure when I first signed up to this forum that I saw somewhere that you shouldn't request refills if you are not asked while flying in discounted business as opposed to J. I don't know if it's true for real though and I don't know if it's even worth booking discounted business/first class. Any thoughts on this?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thiosk
Just a quick questions understanding the basics.. Do flight attendants (Delta FA to be more specific) know if you booked in Z, G, J or if it is an upgrade with miles and does it have a difference in your inflight experience? I am pretty sure when I first signed up to this forum that I saw somewhere that you shouldn't request refills if you are not asked while flying in discounted business as opposed to J. I don't know if it's true for real though and I don't know if it's even worth booking discounted business/first class. Any thoughts on this?
Nope the only thing they see if you are non-Rev ie employee flying for free. You probably misunderstood am attempt at humor. Just like discounted coach if you can live with the change fees if needing a change and can comply with advance purchase then go for it. The change fee is bigger but otherwise basically the same as discounted coach.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The "don't ask for refills" rule is for nonrevs--airline employees or friends and family essentially flying for free, almost always on a standby basis. They should also get the last choice of meals, etc.

Whether you purchased a business class ticket at any price, paid for an upgrade with miles of GUCs/RUCs/SWUs, or were given an OPUP, you're entitled to the same service and can ask for as many refills as you want (unless a FA has cut off your drinking, it's been determined that you're underage, etc.).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No your fare bucket is not shown, just name/status/final destination etc.

And no idea who would've said anything about not requesting refills if you aren't on a full fare ticket. Thats absurd. You paid to sit up front, you should get the same service regardless of your ticket cost.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I got an OpUp yesterday on a $500 RT V fare ticket DUB-ATL and I would have asked for a refill if the FAs hadn't asked me if I wanted one. On the ATL-DUB flight I was in C+ and had to hit the FA call button to get a refill once. The FA brought me a drink with a smile on her face. So to answer your question, no, it's not true.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nope the only thing they see if you are non-Rev ie employee flying for free..
They also know all the OpUps (there is a separate section on the manifest identifying those). Many FAs (pursers) also treat OpUps in a different category than the "true" revenue pax (i.e., those who paid or used upgrade instruments to get into J) and expect OpUps to "behave" (i.e., not be too high maintenance and demand everything under the sun). FAs may not admonish an OpUp like they would a Non-Rev if they saw "out-of-line" behavior but they would sure take notice and perhaps offer less-than-stellar service for the rest of the flight....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
They also know all the OpUps (there is a separate section on the manifest identifying those). Many FAs (pursers) also treat OpUps in a different category than the "true" revenue pax (i.e., those who paid or used upgrade instruments to get into J) and expect OpUps to "behave" (i.e., not be too high maintenance and demand everything under the sun). FAs may not admonish an OpUp like they would a Non-Rev if they saw "out-of-line" behavior but they would sure take notice and perhaps offer less-than-stellar service for the rest of the flight....
This is something that they typical OPUPed person wouldn't know, nor would they know that it would be better not to talk about the OPUP on board where paying premium cabin passengers can overhear. I wonder if pursers can add "not suitable for OPUP" comments like in the past (before FF upgrades) check in staff would mark some passengers as "suitable for upgrade" based on their appearance and demeanor.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I could understand limiting the drinks for non-rev passengers. You don't want them depleting the liquor stock and then make revenue passengers go without.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is something that they typical OPUPed person wouldn't know, nor would they know that it would be better not to talk about the OPUP on board where paying premium cabin passengers can overhear.
That's not the behavior the FAs object to, but rather the demand for everything under the sun (e.g., asking to try every wine possible, drinking the cabin dry, constantly asking for things, etc.) as they feel that this will deprive the "real" J pax of the appropriate level of J service and attention....
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:53 pm

That's not the behavior the FAs object to, but rather the demand for everything under the sun (e.g., asking to try every wine possible, drinking the cabin dry, constantly asking for things, etc.) as they feel that this will deprive the "real" J pax of the appropriate level of J service and attention....
Then the implication is that when the J cabin is full with revenue passengers (assume no OPUPs), those paying J passengers cannot be getting the appropriate level of service and attention to which they are entitled and for which they have paid? Is this a case of the FAs complaining that J cabins are understaffed or admitting that they don't give the appropriate level of attention and service on many flights?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
We were OpUp'd on an intra-Asia flight on Delta and told as soon as we boarded not to expect a business class meal in a sort of rude tone. It didn't matter to us, we just wanted to sleep anyways but I thought it was an odd tone to use. Granted I didn't pay for the seat but I wasn't going to be obnoxious or anything! Later in the flight another attendant came over saying that they did have extra meals if we wanted but we were fine and didn't bother.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I <thought I> saw somewhere that you shouldn't request refills if you are not asked while flying in discounted business as opposed to J
Wouldn't THAT be sum'thin'! I could see the posts now . . . .

FA wouldn't serve me a second Woodford, 'cuz she thought I was flying on an award ticket!!!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
On my flight on Sunday there were 2 non-revs in Business Class who weren't sitting together. They asked the flight attendant if they could help them switch seats which the FA told them they should ask the passengers directly.

He then asked them if they were non-revs to which they said yes...he told them then you shouldn't ask the passengers to swtich if you are a non-rev. Of course, they did anyway, as I saw some musical chairs
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by davetravels
Wouldn't THAT be sum'thin'! I could see the posts now . . . .

FA wouldn't serve me a second Woodford, 'cuz she thought I was flying on an award ticket!!!
Prob more likely we're going to have Deputy Diamonds outing nonrevs for requesting drink refills...which is not a "rule" BTW from the guidelines I have seen. There is a rule about nonrevs asking for a refill on your meal: Don't.

The OP's query reminds me of a LAX-ATL flight years ago, when a Red Coat came on board with my upgraded BP. I went to my new seat and a FA was standing there w a bottle of bubbly. He asked if he could get me anything and I said, "I'll take some of what you've got right there!" He deadpanned back, "Ohhhh, they just brought you up from coach, this isn't for you." I must have had the saddest look on my face because almost immediately he busted out laughing and went to get me a glass. I'm sure he's enjoyed telling that story many, many times over the years (as have I).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
On my flight on Sunday there were 2 non-revs in Business Class who weren't sitting together. They asked the flight attendant if they could help them switch seats which the FA told them they should ask the passengers directly.

He then asked them if they were non-revs to which they said yes...he told them then you shouldn't ask the passengers to swtich if you are a non-rev. Of course, they did anyway, as I saw some musical chairs
Report it. Nonrevs are not supposed to be bothering paying customers with requests to switch seats for the convenience of the nonrevs. The FA should have stopped this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.