Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tarmac options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by alpenrose
I am scientifically challenged so tell me please? What happens when lightning strikes the airplane?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...trike-atl.html

Generally not much, although there are certainly rare exceptions. Requires an inspection to make sure there are no entry-wounds and/or chunks of plane blown off and also a diagnosis/run-thru of the various electronic systems & related.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by steved5480
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...trike-atl.html

Generally not much, although there are certainly rare exceptions. Requires an inspection to make sure there are no entry-wounds and/or chunks of plane blown off and also a diagnosis/run-thru of the various electronic systems & related.
Don't forget they need to change out the seat cushions!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by alpenrose
I am scientifically challenged so tell me please? What happens when lightning strikes the airplane?
If you want a straight answer.

If a bolt hits a plane on the ground the current will travel over the outer shell of the plane and make its way towards the ground. Since there is no conductor where the wheels are, it "jumps" that by making a plasma stream from the top of wheel to ground. And that explains what you see in the video.

In air, it hardly matters as the current has no where to go.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
For an example of why they can't unload the plane in lightning, an AA passenger was struck by lightning on the tarmac and died as a result.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:12 pm

TPA had a strike this week that took out a sizable divot of conrete on the ramp.

I'd be curious if someone didn't feel well if the emergency services at MCO would chance it, and try to get to your aircraft?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.