Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Yes, there really are fewer upgrades these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Yes, there really are fewer upgrades these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Only slightly. And also worth noting that the advance booking curve, for both leisure and business, has been shrinking in recent years. The airlines used to have a pretty good idea of what things looked like 8+ weeks out. Now purchases are happening closer to 6 weeks out or even less. More than one airline has remarked on that challenge with RM.
Are you sure? I actually have seen many J deals 6 months out lately.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Are you sure? I actually have seen many J deals 6 months out lately.
Well, I am sure that the executives from multiple airlines have said that the booking curve is getting more compressed in recent years. That doesn't mean there cannot be sales at other times, just that the average has moved a bit.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
Well, I am sure that the executives from multiple airlines have said that the booking curve is getting more compressed in recent years. That doesn't mean there cannot be sales at other times, just that the average has moved a bit.
Look at what they do, listen not to what they say
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Look at what they do, listen not to what they say
Yeah, because I'm an ignorant moron who has no idea what's really going on.

There have been biz fare sales for at least the past decade, always with the advance purchase and minimum stay requirements. That hasn't really changed much. Suggesting that they are now or that they indicate a change in the average booking window is pretty ridiculous.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
I have been very lucky. After completing my last flight I moved to GM. However as a FO, since MAY 8, just about every trip I have been moved to FC on on of the segments. To my surprise it was trips to SEA, PDX and SLC, where usually I am mid 20's on UG list.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So a bit like Z inventory which I have taken advantage of. There is obviously an algorithim - sell some early then some more at a higher price nearer the time and then full price 7 days out or so - which is what you were trying to say in your example I think?
Something like that. Delta pays people to figure out the most profitable price curve (depending on both seats available and time remaining).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.