FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   "Marriage Takes Flight" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1690648-marriage-takes-flight.html)

kop84 Jun 29, 2015 11:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 25043694)
Yes - but my point is since everyone has jumped on the band wagon there isn't a place for a customer to go. Hence why business have no downside for promoting the message

With DL/UA/AA/WN/B6/AS all supporting marriage equality there are not a lot of other options for you for air travel!

Maybe that's why some people are so supportive of the ME3 expanding in the US!!!!

jdrtravel Jun 29, 2015 11:18 am

Wow, I've really never started a thread that went anywhere, mostly just asked basic questions. This has been so much fun! And [not] surprised to learn how many prideful folks are DL FT'ers!

Corganbr Jun 29, 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 25043376)
Quote:

It is good business because the people who support this are happy and the people who do not support this have been bullied into keeping their mouths shut for fear of being outcasted or labeled "evil people" or "full of hate".

This is why you see virtually every business promoting this with no fear of retribution from the other side of the view. It's the golden jackpot of scenarios for businesses.

I disagree. Chick fila actually got more business after they made clear where they stand. I will never eat one of those delicious sandwiches again but a lot more people showed support than boycott.

I'm sorry, this is a little off topic but I refuse to accept the concept of people being "bullied into keeping their mouth shuts" when thousands of children everyday are truly being bullied for being who they are and many of them end up taking their lives because they think they will not be accepted. So yes, I truly believe that people against gay rights are indeed evil because they make millions of people's lives more difficult or even impossible.

Again, I'm sorry about the off topic. To get back, regardless of the reason, by showing support the domestic airlines are helping a lot of people while not harming anyone. If someone feels like they should fly me3 because of the gay issue, they should fully accept everything that comes with it, including the lack of women's rights.

longing4piedmont Jun 29, 2015 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 25036011)
Both employees and customers in the industry are disproportionately homosexual. This isn't just good PR; it's the company's culture.

That quite a stretch since estimates place the US population of gays and lesbians at 1.6%.

lamont2718 Jun 29, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 25043826)

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 25036011)
Both employees and customers in the industry are disproportionately homosexual. This isn't just good PR; it's the company's culture.

That quite a stretch since estimates place the US population of gays and lesbians at 1.6%.

"Disproportionately" does not mean mostly -- it means at a proportion greater than that of the broader population.

Also, anyone who believes the LGBT population is only 1.6% of the US is in for a rude awakening.

FlyAO2 Jun 29, 2015 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Corganbr (Post 25043785)
... So yes, I truly believe that people against gay rights are indeed evil because they make millions of people's lives more difficult or even impossible. ....

My point exactly. So many people who geniunely disagrees for whatever reason (religious, moral, etc...) don't want to hear this or be told this so they keep their mouth shut.

If you really believe that each of these companies and their offiicers all truly believe 100% in gay marriage you are being delusional. It is just good business right now. (Just like it is good politics and how key politicians switched from no to yes when the tide was moving)

longing4piedmont Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718 (Post 25043937)
"Disproportionately" does not mean mostly -- it means at a proportion greater than that of the broader population.

Also, anyone who believes the LGBT population is only 1.6% of the US is in for a rude awakening.

You may then want to contact the US government about your concerns. The numbers are directly from a 2014 study survey done by the National Center for Health Statistics. The highest estimate that can be found is less than 5% and that is from an pro-gay organization.

But feel free to believe what you want.....it is after all to your benefit to overstate the numbers.

Corganbr Jun 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 25043973)
Quote:

My point exactly. So many people who geniunely disagrees for whatever reason (religious, moral, etc...) don't want to hear this or be told this so they keep their mouth shut.

If you really believe that each of these companies and their offiicers all truly believe 100% in gay marriage you are being delusional. It is just good business right now. (Just like it is good politics and how key politicians switched from no to yes when the tide was moving)

I wish they would keep their mouths shut and reevaluate their ideals for the greater good.

Obviously I don't think all executives are pro gay rights. But I'm not sure it's good business, like I said, chick fila had a bump in sales after all the controversy. But whatever the reason is, it's great that they support gay causes.

As for the percentage of the gay population, it's very hard to tell because there are so many people in the closet. And even people who are out might be forced to lie in some instances due to the lack of protection laws. Not to mention the ones in heterosexual marriages getting some gay on the side! :)

davetravels Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 25043721)
With DL/UA/AA/WN/B6/AS all supporting marriage equality there are not a lot of other options for you for air travel!

Maybe that's why some people are so supportive of the ME3 expanding in the US!!!!

S E R I O U S L Y ? ! ? ! ?

You think THIS is a major reason why people want airlines from half way around the world to start flying within the USA?!?

To even think this is a remote possibility of any real meaning - I hafto give you a . . .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Corganbr (Post 25044073)
As for the percentage of the gay population, it's very hard to tell because there are so many people in the closet. And even people who are out might be forced to lie in some instances due to the lack of protection laws. Not to mention the ones in heterosexual marriages getting some gay on the side! :)

Not to mention, that - - -

Gay and Str8 is not an all or nothing deal for everyone. If Str8 is a "1", and Gay is "100", there are 99 shades in between! Surely not all of the people who are between, let's say, 50 & 99 would identify as "Gay".

:)

kop84 Jun 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 25044190)
S E R I O U S L Y ? ! ? ! ?

You think THIS is a major reason why people want airlines from half way around the world to start flying within the USA?!?

To even think this is a remote possibility of any real meaning - I hafto give you a . . .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not to mention, that - - -

Gay and Str8 is not an all or nothing deal for everyone. If Str8 is a "1", and Gay is "100", there are 99 shades in between! Surely not all of the people who are between, let's say, 50 & 99 would identify as "Gay".

:)

My tongue was firmly in cheek for my post.

I know the two are totally unrelated just thought it would be a funny juxtaposition.

lamont2718 Jun 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 25043987)
You may then want to contact the US government about your concerns. The numbers are directly from a 2014 study survey done by the National Center for Health Statistics.

If you are going to cite published figures, at least cite them accurately. The NHIS figure of 1.6% excludes 0.7% of respondents who identified as bisexual and 1.1% of respondents who identified as "something else" or "I don't know". In total, 3.4% of respondents did not identify as straight.

At any rate, the NHIS survey asked about identity as self-reported and not about behavior. There are plenty of gay/bi individuals who identify as "straight" despite having same-sex desires or having had same-sex encounters. Ever heard of the term LUG -- lesbian until graduation?

The highest estimate that can be found is less than 5% and that is from an pro-gay organization.

It looks like you didn't search very hard. The second Google hit on the query "what percent of the population is gay" is a Smithsonian article about a study that found 20% of the individuals are attracted to their own gender: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...012467/?no-ist

But feel free to believe what you want.....it is after all to your benefit to overstate the numbers.

I believe the real percentage of US men who feel attracted to men and/or who have had same-sex encounters is closer to 10%. But the reality is we'll never know thanks to the unrealiable nature of self-reporting.

OMNI-ho!

FlyAO2 Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Corganbr (Post 25044073)
I wish they would keep their mouths shut and reevaluate their ideals for the greater good.

and this keeps emphasizing my points. One could have valid religious objections to this -- much in the way people clamor for their activities/behavior to be respected, so should someone's views who is opposed to this.

....But they aren't anymore, so businesses are riding along.

davetravels Jun 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 25044268)
My tongue was firmly in cheek for my post.

I know the two are totally unrelated just thought it would be a funny juxtaposition.

I'm glad to hear that . . . . hence the reason we have emoticons, such as ;) :p :eek:

:D

Widgets Jun 29, 2015 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by lamont2718 (Post 25044357)
If you are going to cite published figures, at least cite them accurately. The NHIS figure of 1.6% excludes 0.7% of respondents who identified as bisexual and 1.1% of respondents who identified as "something else" or "I don't know". In total, 3.4% of respondents did not identify as straight.

At any rate, the NHIS survey asked about identity as self-reported and not about behavior. There are plenty of gay/bi individuals who identify as "straight" despite having same-sex desires or having had same-sex encounters. Ever heard of the term LUG -- lesbian until graduation?

It looks like you didn't search very hard. The second Google hit on the query "what percent of the population is gay" is a Smithsonian article about a study that found 20% of the individuals are attracted to their own gender: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...012467/?no-ist

I believe the real percentage of US men who feel attracted to men and/or who have had same-sex encounters is closer to 10%. But the reality is we'll never know thanks to the unrealiable nature of self-reporting.

OMNI-ho!

I can't search for it now but I once found a reputable pollster that reported around 20-25% of women and men had a pleasurable same-sex sexual encounter. If anyone can search for it, I want to know. Don't accept this post as a fact until then... just an obscured memory.

Corganbr Jun 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 25044458)
Quote:

and this keeps emphasizing my points. One could have valid religious objections to this -- much in the way people clamor for their activities/behavior to be respected, so should someone's views who is opposed to this.

....But they aren't anymore, so businesses are riding along.

"valid religious objections" -- I wish this were a different forum so I could go on and on about it. But I'll shut up now. Cheers!